SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
union township clermont county Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2001
159 Posts
Weather is really wierd. 35 degrees here, with rain just above freezing. Wind isn't bad. 50 miles north of here they are predicting blizzard conditions and 9 to 12 inches of snow.
little nail is offline Find More Posts by little nail
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
So far about 3" of snow & sleet mix. I want so bad to get out of this house and start moving snow off the drives around here. Best to wait until it's done before I do that. One year I cleared everything mid storm just in time for a 1/4" of freezing rain to settle on the freshly cleared drives. It would have been so much easier to take that ice layer off with 5" of snow under it.
56S is online now Find More Posts by 56S
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:07 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,674 Posts
@! degrees at noon, the air is still and there was few birds out... All of our utities are working...

I will take a little time to see if it's warm enogh to weld up a stand with wheels for my Mini Mill, I am finding the need to work on some pieces 5 feet long and that wont happen where it's setup. I have also brought a Matco center chest home from work to use for my lathe and mill tooling and I will build this stand around that so it can be brought to the lathe.

I will be driving the wife to the market, she does not like driving in 3 inches of snowfall, I have commuted to work 42 miles south for days in much worse. She won't go 2 miles, if I didn't take her she would go hungry in here.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCWorks; Dec 26, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
if I didn't take her she would go hungry in here.
Unless you have a stash of Twinkies in the shop, it'd be a good idea to tote her to the store...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:22 PM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Unless you have a stash of Twinkies in the shop, it'd be a good idea to tote her to the store...

--Bill
She was letting the fridge empty for cleaning just buying things she was going to use right away... So we are down to condiments, pickles and peppers...

It's time to restock it now... I just find it funny that she has a flat path to take(No hills) and most of the way is scraped and has been left with some sand on the surface(We don't use salt) for traction... There is nothing to fear on the 8 blocks of surface streets to the store. 4 of the 6 vehicles here are front wheel drive, 3 of those have 4 wheel ABS w/traction control.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
we are down to condiments, pickles and peppers...
Ah, that's a tight situation. Down heah, when there are snow warnings everybody stocks up on bread and milk. Invariably. It's a running joke.

And, much to my embarrassment, I'm out of bread, milk, and dog food, so I need to hustle my tush out into the cold and get some. Brrrr.
Quote:
I just find it funny that she has a flat path to take... nothing to fear on the 8 blocks of surface streets to the store.
Maybe she's looking for some quality time. Been spending too much time in the Man Castle? A break would be good.

--Bill
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:22 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
And now that storm is hammering the East Coast:

Quote:
Storm's high winds, snow, sleet lash Northeast

A powerful winter storm system that pounded the nation's midsection, wrecking holiday travel plans and dumping a record snowfall in Arkansas, began lashing the Northeast on Wednesday with high winds, snow and sleet.

The storm, which knocked out power to thousands of utility customersm mainly in Arkansas, was blamed in at least six deaths.

Hundreds of flights were canceled or delayed, scores of motorists got stuck on icy roads or slid into drifts and blizzard warnings were issued amid snowy gusts of 30 mph that blanketed roads and windshields, at times causing whiteout conditions.

"The way I've been describing it is as a low-end blizzard, but that's sort of like saying a small Tyrannosaurus rex," said John Kwiatkowski, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Indianapolis.

The system, which spawned Gulf Coast region tornadoes on Christmas Day, pushed through the Upper Ohio Valley and headed into the Northeast Wednesday night. High winds, snow and sleet slickened roads in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut, causing dozens of minor accidents and spinouts. Forecasts called for 12 to 18 inches of snow inland from western New York to Maine into Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/storms-high-wi...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3
Dang.

Kentucky

--Bill
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:30 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,679 Posts
They reported on the news this morning that y'all had been hit with a foot of snow in the NE states. Keep calm and carry on out there or better still take a few extra days holidays ~ you know it makes sense
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Y'all have it (relatively) easy in Mercia. Your climate is moderated by the Gulf Stream and you don't have frigid continental air masses overrunning things. Or, as we have in the Southeast, the back-and-forth between the cold continenatl air mass and the warm, moist Gulf air mass. All y'all have to worry about is how to get coconuts when snows cover the land...

--Bill
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:01 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,679 Posts
Quote:
Y'all have it (relatively) easy in Mercia. Your climate is moderated by the Gulf Stream and you don't have frigid continental air masses overrunning things. Or, as we have in the Southeast, the back-and-forth between the cold continenatl air mass and the warm, moist Gulf air mass. All y'all have to worry about is how to get coconuts when snows cover the land...

--Bill
Having moved recently to the frozen NE I've noticed quite a difference. The moderation of the microclimate by even the scarily cold North Sea is quite noticeable. I can leave the car park in town and watch the temperature drop by around 6 degrees in less than 20 miles. So we're in the snowy bit now -this is from a few weeks ago and only a few inches, but blizzard conditions compared to the coast. We do have it easy compared to continental climates though. Take it easy over there and take care.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Last edited by leccyflyer; Dec 27, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:05 AM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Another 7" over night and into this morning. Have the paths shoveled for the doggies, the bird feeders loaded and waiting for the snow to stop before I start the plowing. The picture was taken Thursday while moving some of the snow.

Edit: Note behind the power meter the trees leaning. These are three Pignut Hickories that were damaged in the June 29th wind storm. I have them partly cut but the remaining pieces are way beyond my skill level.
Last edited by 56S; Dec 29, 2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: pointing out fallen Hickories
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:17 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,095 Posts
I'm shivering just looking at those photos.

Got more rain last night. Colder this morning but not your kind of cold, just wet.

I put down Rye grass seed on the runway a month ago and had to mow it yesterday. That Oregon Rye really thrives down here in the winter. Plenty of rain and just cold enough for it.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:28 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
That looks wicked, 56S. I disremember-- which State are you in?

--Bill
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
That looks wicked, 56S. I disremember-- which State are you in?

--Bill
We're in East/Central Ohio. Coshocton County. Pronounce that one. We've counted at least 5 different ways just listening to the broadcasters on the local radio.
I have enough done for the day. Spend a little time tomorrow cleaning up a couple of loose flakes. Time for warm up with a little Glenlivet; easy on the rocks
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
56S
Certified Balsa Breaker
Joined Nov 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I'm shivering just looking at those photos.

Got more rain last night. Colder this morning but not your kind of cold, just wet.

I put down Rye grass seed on the runway a month ago and had to mow it yesterday. That Oregon Rye really thrives down here in the winter. Plenty of rain and just cold enough for it.
There is something very romantic about grass strips...At least to a pilot. I used to fly into a private grass strip that had a stocked pond at the end. Fish all you want. Seems to me the only rule was to turn the rowboat upside down before you left. Took a date there (before I met the Mrs.) and she started to clean her shoes of the grass clippings before she climbed into Sierra. I quickly corrected her and explained that grass clippings on the carpet were a sort of trophy for some of us. She didn't understand. My wonderful wife does.