HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2008, 02:39 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Discussion
MayFly Video

This is a video one of my flying buds shot for me yesterday. This is at a very small field surrounded by trees. The winds were giving me some wild pockets of lift and then sink.

video
Double Pappa is offline Find More Posts by Double Pappa
Last edited by plasticpaul; May 26, 2008 at 02:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2008, 04:43 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,642 Posts
That thing looks great paul. What's the final AUW and how many squares of wing area?
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old May 26, 2008, 04:51 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
You really don't want to know because it should never fly like it does based on the numbers.....LOL
Old May 26, 2008, 10:20 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,874 Posts
Looks like it flies ok. Is that the dlg you are kitting?

I saw your newspaper covered wing. I might suggest you try kraft paper with epoxy, bagged on. It's easier to work with than fiberglass, stays straight, doesn't wrinkele, etc. You wet one side, wait five minutes, wet other side, then wait a bit and squeegee. Or something like that. 60 lb kraft is a tad too heavy, 40 lb is probably right for center section, maybe 30 for tips? The stuff is dirt cheap. I think you can get 1000 feet or something for $30? I did a wing like this with 60 lb paper. It's almost light enough, and very tough. Perhaps if you keep doing this, I will have to add a kit to my excessive collection of glider stuff.

Right now I fly a Cyberdyne, which is not too unlike your kit except that the aspect ratio is higher and the span is a full 60". It's too beat up by now, tho.

May I suggest that if you are using the SUL, you reinforce it a bit or something on the sides. The Cyberdyne uses one and it's not stiff enough.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old May 26, 2008, 11:33 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Lincoln, Thanks for your comments. She is fun to fly.