HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:14 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Mini-Review
Dumas Higgins 78' PT-212

When the oppertunity came up to review the new Dumas 78' Higgins PT-212 it would not only be a terrific build, but also the perdect oppertunity to fit the model with a pair of brushless outrunner motors.

The kit was done in 1:31 scale (.39" = 1'), odd I know, but that put the hull length at 30" with an 8" beam, which is a good manageable size, and can easily be set up with a good low cost power system. And being this close to 1:32 scale, those desiring a higher level of detail won't be too challenged in finding after-market parts and accessories.

The kit is nicely done and features a one piece vac-formed hull. The deck is dye cut in halves, joined at the center with a large center hatch that will make access to the internal components easy.

The kit also includes a 42 page step-by-step instruction book along with a detail drawing booklet containing 87 individual drawings and templates to be used in conjunction with the instructions. The kit also includes a full size general arrangement drawing to aid in locating the deck details. On the surface the kit looks pretty rudimentary, but once you dig into it a bit you'll find that in all that simplicity there's a very highly detailed model lurking in the shadows.

On first inspection I found the parts count to be minimal due to the one piece hull. But also included is bag full of detail parts and fittings along with the strip wood and plastic required to complete the model. The running gear is sold seperately, and if you plan to set up the twin drive system you'll need two sets of Running Hardware Kit #2370. I would also recommend the Dumas 1" Counter Rotating brass props, P/N 3133 & 3134.

As always, before construction begins, read and studdy the instructions and detail drawings to become familiar with the construction sequence. so you'll know what's around the next corner. That'll go a long way in preventing any surprizes along the way. So with that, let's get started.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:19 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Construction begins with the Boat Stand

The Boat Stand is built up from 1/8 x 3/8 bass wood strips using the templates provided. Assemble the stand and finish it as desired.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:24 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Trimming Off the Hull Flashing

The hull is only rough cut and requires trimming the flashing from around the top edge. The deck assembly will fit into the lip around the top, so pay close attention to the detail drawing in Fig. 3 to trim the flashing. The lip at the top will be a bit tall when trimmed as shown and will be trimmed level with the deck later on, so no need to get too precice just yet.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:47 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Assembling the Deck

The main deck is cut in halves and joined at the center. The hatch opening is bordered with plastic strips, and then the internal stiffeners are added which also sets up the slight curve at the bow. Once assembled, the deck is fitted into the hull. The only trimming required was a little at the corners of the transom.

The hatch was built up per the instruction. The plastic hatch was carefully fitted into the opening, requiring only a small amount of trimming for a good fit. Next, the hatch was slipped in place, and then from the bottom a line was traced around the perimeter of the combing to insure it would go in without trimming once the internal stiffeners were added. The bass wood strips were glued in place and when dry the hatch was test fitted into the deck opening.

At this point, the instructions tell you to glue the deck in place. Using a single motor and rudder, having the deck installed won't present a problem. However, if you plan to go with the twin motor set-up, I would suggest leaving the deck off untill the internal components are in place. It'll make life a little easier getting the motor mounts fabricated and glued in place.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:54 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Setting Up the Stuffing Boxes and Rudder Tube

The hull was measured and cut for the stuffing boxes and rudder tubes per the instructions. The tubes were fitted into the hull and tack glued with Cya. Masking tape was used to seal the slots and a mix of epoxy and micro balloons was agged to the outside. When cured, the tape was removed and a slurry applied to the inside as well.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:00 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Mounting the Motors

The model will be powered with a pair of Suppo 2208/17 Outrunners from R/C Hot Deals. The mounts were fabricated from Lite Ply and secured to the hull with thick Cya. Plastic tubes were placed into the dog bone couplers to set up the alignment, and once the mounts were secure, the tubes were removed and the dog bones added to complete the installation.

Next up will be to get the rudders built up and the servo installed.

PAT
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:41 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,079 Posts
Didn't know they were doing one of these. .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:51 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Mark, This one caught me a little off guard too, but happy they're doing it. This is the first PT boat I've done, so looking forward to getting her in the water -- and she's a good manageable size too, and fits right in with my nothing over 33" rule that I've broken so many times I might as well just scratch it off the list . . . . .

PAT
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:42 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
A friend built one a while back. They run very nice, and it is a nice change of pace from the common Elco boats that everyone has. Although the odd scale makes it a bit of a challenge. Can't wait to see how it handles with the pair of brushless motors.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jul 07, 2014, 01:48 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Dave, and I also see Miss Chloe there on the far LH side of the picture. . . . .
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:29 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Aug 2011
148 Posts
Nice! This is going to be huge at 72" I am in the process of building the Dumas PT-109 33" Looking good!
MoonBlink is online now Find More Posts by MoonBlink
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:17 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBlink View Post
Nice! This is going to be huge at 72" I am in the process of building the Dumas PT-109 33" Looking good!
Moon, The PT-212 is only 30" long, but a 6-footer would make for an impressive model alright. . . . .
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:29 PM
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Aug 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
Moon, The PT-212 is only 30" long, but a 6-footer would make for an impressive model alright. . . . .
No idea where I came up with the number but it sounds good! lets build one!
MoonBlink is online now Find More Posts by MoonBlink
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:19 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2013
55 Posts
I have a 5' 1/16th scale scratch built Higgins, it's my second scratch build and my third PT. My first was the 1/20th Dumas PT, then I scratch built a 1/20th Elco 77 footer, then my current Higgins.

My original thought was to run the Higgins on gas, that's why I went to a larger scale. It ended up being powered by a pair of AstroFlight 40's with excellent run time, and a very realistic attitude when up on a plane, and stays fairly dry on the deck even in very rough water.

After building three grey boats (naval boats) my latest build was an 85' Air Sea Rescue in 1/16th also, but I finished it as a surplus boat sold to a private owner and refinished in the image of Chris Craft Constellation type trim.

Having said all this let me say if I do another build it would be in a smaller scale, large boats look great when in the water and running however they are a major pain in the rear to transport, launch, and even store when not in use. Plus you end up buying twice as many building materials.
bubbletop409 is offline Find More Posts by bubbletop409
Last edited by bubbletop409; Jul 08, 2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:43 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle View Post
Dave, and I also see Miss Chloe there on the far LH side of the picture. . . . .
Pat, my friend Don has built many of your boats. I should shoot a bunch of pics of them and send them to you. All have come out nice and perform well.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave