Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 01, 2014, 05:49 AM
Joined Apr 2014
143 Posts
Question
Fighter jet for beginner?

I'm fairly new to the word of rc planes and I really like the look and aesthetics of jets. Ive just ordered a Delta Ray as my very first plane which should be arriving soon.

However, could anyone recommend a micro plane suitable for a beginner that is based on a fighter jet like an F16, F18 or something similar? I did see a striking looking micro fighter jet on ebay not too long ago. It was a beautiful looking plane but I had no idea if it would be suited to beginners or even if it was a decent flyer at all.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2014, 08:08 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,876 Posts
The Skyangel T45 is a nice small plane with plenty of power. Flew one for a new member to trim things out, and I was impressed how well it flies. Lots of power on a small 3S pack. Just make sure you have very little aileron travel, as they are very responsive.
If you can get your hands on an Eflite Mig 15, It would be my first choice as the 3 axis gyro really makes a nice flier that is stable even in fairly strong winds.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jun 03, 2014, 08:25 PM
The Luftwaffle
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Sep 2012
981 Posts
Both the mig and the Habu are good micro jets from eflite, the habu isn't based off of one fighter but it is aesthetically similar to many. The mig is a bit slower and so probably easier to fly, but the habu is a good choice as well. One of the big secrets in the jet community is that there is such thing as less than full throttle
Waffleman is offline Find More Posts by Waffleman
Old Jul 14, 2014, 02:57 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2014
90 Posts
I say UMX Mig-15 if you can get your hands on one. Only drawback is the inlet getting crunched in a crash which needs some work after. Also once in a while you need to smooth out the intake port for the best air flow possible.

The aileron wires across the tunnel come lose and you loose thrust.

Just keep in mind that if you bank you have to un bank.

Finally the horizontal stabilizer needs to be stiffened.

UMX Habu would be a second plane, but it flies faster

Next step up is the mini T-45 50mm EDF if you can find one. Otherwise the F-16 50 mm will do okay, again if you can find one.

After that then you should be able to step it up to any size and will need a bungee or you need to be really good at hand launching.
RyanFromYEG is offline Find More Posts by RyanFromYEG