Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:27 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Got motivated to work on this again. Getting the fun ready to mold. Turbibes got banned frim my field so needed to enlarge the ducting for EDF. FSA for sonething like a Viofan is 92cm squared. I am at around 95-100 so I have plenty for a 120. Thinking about abother ETremerc 127mm like in my XXX though. Love the efficiency and sound
Oooohhh......your pix of vertical fin in post #417
Cant tell much from the angle of your photo.....don't make that ECM fairing too fat.....Ken Williams made that mistake with his old K&A F-100.......the fairing wasn't parallel taper and square.
Maybe too late to alter the plug?

Your effort is looking great.
- Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Hi Mike,

Yep, already molded it so too late. I am sure its too fat. Mine has a straight top and bottom edge and trailing edge is not scale either. If it looks reasonable, thats good enough for me.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Oooohhh......your pix of vertical fin in post #417
Cant tell much from the angle of your photo.....don't make that ECM fairing too fat.....Ken Williams made that mistake with his old K&A F-100.......the fairing wasn't parallel taper and square.
Maybe too late to alter the plug?

Your effort is looking great.
- Mike
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:56 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
Here is the mold for the fin.as you can see I just went by the plans for the shape and profile.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:34 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,198 Posts
Man your molds look nice and clean
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:13 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
really you think so? I think its the low resolution pic. That was 1 minute after removing the plug they have not been polished up yet. I am done trying to make things perfect so the plug was only sanded 2 400 grit. I even dinged it in a couple places in actually filled it with clay and smoothed it over before molding lol. if its going to be painted outside the mold I figured what difference does it make how perfect it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Man your molds look nice and clean
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:18 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
I glassed the mold for the ducting the other day and then decided to test fit and realize that the nose gear would not fit so had to modify it and re glass the bottom section
Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:07 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,514 Posts
yeah it can wear you out going for perfect molds. i go to 600 ,it is all the panel lines and detail that really eats up the time.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 22, 2014, 01:42 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
yeah it can wear you out going for perfect molds. i go to 600 ,it is all the panel lines and detail that really eats up the time.
600 Depending on what the mold is use for I rarely go over 240-320! lol
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:27 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
well I am a little bumed. I tried to order E flite landing gear from Billy at USA RC jets and found out the guy he get the upgraded trunnions from is no longer making them so I had to go with air retracts I had from a composite ARF rookie. I love the e flite retracts I have in my xxx so I was hoping to use them in this as well.

moving on. I got the nose gear formers installed. What a pain in the butt that was to get the weird angle that the f-100 has. this is the part I love and hate about scratch building. its fun to try to figure out and solve problems but can also be frustrating. It was very difficult to get the right angle and also make sure that the landing gear and wheel does not hit the ducting.

Gotta live the look of the Hun!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:17 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,944 Posts
dup
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:40 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006