HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Help!
V911 Main Rotor will not power with Turnigy 9x

Greetings Everyone.
I am very new in the forum. I actually picked up this hobby a couple of months ago as a way to pass time while I am here deployed in the desert.

My problem is that I have followed all the instructions and videos to bind my V911 with my Turnigy 9x trax but while I can move the servos with the trax, the main rotor for the main propeller will not work. Throttle does not work. However with the V911 OEM Trax, everything works fine.

Please help, I am going nuts!
idealer2 is offline Find More Posts by idealer2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
133 Posts
Post your question in the main V911 thread. You are more likely to get a quick response there. Also try a search in that thread.
Heloo is offline Find More Posts by Heloo
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:19 AM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloo View Post
Post your question in the main V911 thread. You are more likely to get a quick response there. Also try a search in that thread.
Where is the v911 main thread?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:21 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idealer2 View Post
Where is the v911 main thread?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8027&page=1221

Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:37 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
My Turnigy 9X arrived yesterday. Bound my V911 to it last night and have been learning the 9X subtleties ever since. Wow! The magic one do with the 9X controlling the V911 compared to the WL-Toys "controller".

Binding can be a bit tricky with the V911 throttle.

Quick overview of my setup:
* The V911 was set to Mode 2 stick configuration - throttle on the left.
* The 9X came Mode 1 - throttle on the right.
* I opened the 9X and changed the stick springs over. I prefer Mode 2 to Mode 1.

(Do not confuse "Mode" displayed on the 9X with stick Mode. The 9X abbreviates "Model" to "Mode")

* Created a new helicopter profile model in the 9X and named it V911
* Changed the 9X V911 profile to have the correct stick mode - throttle on the left. Default would have it confused with Elevator. / Pitch
* Throttle servo throw may need to be reversed - it depends on what the original mode was of the V911 with it's native controller.
* Bound the 9X to the V911
* Turn off heli and the 9X...
* Use a rod through the landing gear of the V911 and some weights to anchor the V911 down. You will need it held down when trimming the 9X to suit the V911 throttle.
* Unlike my 9558 copters that bound to the 9X without any special throttle trim, the V911 required use of the "Sub Trim" settings on the 9X to get the throttle working. And you may need to Servo Reverse too.
* If not sure of the Servo Reverse (full vs off when stick is up or down)... put the throttle stick in the centre position, then enter the Sub Trim page on the 9X and use the + and - controls on the 9X to try the whole range from all the way full minus offset to full plus offset. Somewhere along this range, the throttle on the V911 should kick in... "Should", assuming that you have the correct stick function assigned to the throttle... The problem is finding the Trim offset to get it working.
* Once it fires up, it will be obvious if servo reversing is needed.

Once the 9X is controlling the V911 there a few nice touches to setup: Dual Rate and Expo for the Rudder (tame the beast); Activate the Throttle Hold to switch the Throttle off (it will be InActive on a factory set 9X); Throttle Trim (rotary knob on the top right of the 9X) can also be Activated to fine control the V911 throttle.

If you really get stuck... try a complete reset of the 9X... Warning: This will delete ALL of your customizations made to the 9X settings...
To Reset ALL:
Power off the 9X
Hold down the Exit button on the 9X while turning it back on.
This will cause a complete clean out of any confused settings so you can try again.

I'm really happy with the 9X and my V911... it's magic.

Cheers, Ian.
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant
Old Mar 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Ian, pls what did you set your subtrim to?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Ian, pls what did you set your subtrim to?
System Settings:
[STICK SET] MODE2
[TYPE SELE] HELI

Throttle Settings:
[REVERSE] THR REV
[SUBTRIM] THR -047
[TRIM] THR: 001(-001)

[THR HOLD] ACT HOD POS: -008%
[HOV-THR] ACT RATE 000(-009)

[FAIL SAF] THR F/S 000%

To check the Stick:
[DISPLAY] THR Fullbar Left on Low | Fullbar Right on Full
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:58 AM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Thanks Ian,
I already got my throttle working after your initial post, though the Heli went ape wild. I am guessing when I plug in the right info, It should calm down. I initially had sub-trim set to -0.35 which resulted to no throttle at all but after your first post I changed it to 0.35 and that was when the heli suddenly came to life and after 2 minutes of chasing it inside a giant warehouse, and 3 crashes, the battery finally popped off and I was able to get my bird back. Everyone watching had a blast.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Ian,
I already got my throttle working after your initial post, though the Heli went ape wild. I am guessing when I plug in the right info, It should calm down. I initially had sub-trim set to -0.35 which resulted to no throttle at all but after your first post I changed it to 0.35 and that was when the heli suddenly came to life and after 2 minutes of chasing it inside a giant warehouse, and 3 crashes, the battery finally popped off and I was able to get my bird back. Everyone watching had a blast.
Cheers!
Good laugh; good scare. No damage? (check the blades at the screw holes... they are fragile. A fine crack may go unnoticed but will play havoc with hovering)

With mine, when it suddenly came to life, it was on the bench and I managed to grab it by the tail boom before it hurt anything.... In my post I did advise to anchor it down... cos when it comes on, it seems it can be way up the thro range and may not turn off at zero stick.

Now you can try all the fine tuning options. Have fun.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:43 AM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPellant View Post
Cheers!
Good laugh; good scare. No damage? (check the blades at the screw holes... they are fragile. A fine crack may go unnoticed but will play havoc with hovering)

With mine, when it suddenly came to life, it was on the bench and I managed to grab it by the tail boom before it hurt anything.... In my post I did advise to anchor it down... cos when it comes on, it seems it can be way up the thro range and may not turn off at zero stick.

Now you can try all the fine tuning options. Have fun.
Actually, I initially anchored it as you advised but some how along the line when nothing was working, I was now trying to park up as my break time was over (by the way I was at work) when it took off like a canary. The excitement it caused for most people around including myself is priceless.
As for damages, I do not think it sustained any as I looked it over but if it does, I have numerous birds to take main blades from. As long as it is not the tail fin that is broken.
I have another condemned bird due to broken tail fin. On that one, I un-soldered the wire to get the tail fin out but the shaft will not come off nor will the motor holding the tail rotor come off because some one in WLToys thinks it is a good idea to glue the parts together.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Yo... "off like a canary"... V911's can be that way.

Quality Control on the assembly line comes to the weakest link... the less trained one doing the simplest task. (In cars it's the oil change). The V911 has a weakness in the servos and control links. The links should be set to length that assumes the servo arm is set level... but that may not be the case... but will the peon fitting the rods do anything about it?

I doubt that anyone assembling a V911 on the normal line will have any glue available... but.. perhaps... if a tail boom is too loose and is rejected by QC (umm... the heli fell in half) they may apply glue as a fix. Dunno

If it's a demolition job - strip it as far as possible then put the frame into a jug of freshly boiling water. Leave until the water cools a bit. The expansion will often free stuck assemblies. Boiling water will often stimulate a de-stress such that the plastic acts like it has memory and minor damages will self-repair (tail fins respond well to boiling water. Not recommended for V911 canopies tho... the paint goes milky)

On a blade where the screw hole split, I cut off the end and glued it back to the other blade with ca. Works better than new. UHU super glue is the best I have found for micro blades; a cheap supa glue did nothing but form a skin that peeled off. Gluing the blades to each other stiffens up the hub and seems to be better than screws alone which allow a bit of up/down flexing.

Once you have successfully bound one heli to the 9X and got the trims nicely set, you should be able to bind other helis with no effort. It's a both a boon and a booby trap. The 9X is an aggressive binding machine. Turn on the 9X, then turn on a heli nearby... it doesn't matter if the heli has been previously bound to that 9X or not... it will bind itself to the 9X - the pairing occurs automatically... be warned - make sure the 9X throttle is Hold Off or stick down before turning on another heli in range. I have 3 x 9958 helis each bound with it's own profile... but I forgot to unplug one before plugging another one in and suddenly I had two copters taking off when I thought I was controlling one. Amusing. I had not expected the 9X to bind with more than one model at the same time.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPellant View Post
System Settings:
[STICK SET] MODE2
[TYPE SELE] HELI

Throttle Settings:
[REVERSE] THR REV
[SUBTRIM] THR -047

[THR HOLD] ACT HOD POS: -008%

[FAIL SAF] THR F/S 000%

To check the Stick:
[DISPLAY] THR Fullbar Left on Low | Fullbar Right on Full
Ian,
I was able to bid and fly my bird successfully with this set up. Thank you so much. However there are two parameters, I was not able to comprehend.

In these two values, how do you change the value in parenthesis. I was never able to change my trim to (-001) and for Act Rate, the one way I could get (-009) is when if I have it this way 017 (-009) so I ended up leaving it at 000 (000)

Need to know how to change the values in parenthesis.
Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Good question.

The values in parentheses do not change when using the + - dial control, which is a little baffling. The values in () show the current position of the control switch... eg: for HOV THR the value changes as the HOV THR knob on the top right of the TX is turned.

There is so much on this transmitter that is either undocumented or confusingly commented. Quite a Chinese Puzzle. Or Pandoras Box.

One thing that is useful is to ACT the TIMER and set it for MIN 006 (in one printed copy of the manual is shows hours instead of minutes... one of those HobbyKing bug fixes?). The Timer can be started by flipping the bottom toggle switch on the top right of the box. The timer starts and stops by that toggle. To reset the timer to zero, hold down the EXIT button while flipping the timer toggle switch. It goes into a beep, beep countdown for the last minute of the timer period that is useful for knowing when the flight battery will be low and it's time to get back to land.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:10 AM
www.solarenergyglow.com
Joined Feb 2013
577 Posts
How can i increase the THR HOLD for more than 50%. so it will stay level hold.
jan michael is offline Find More Posts by jan michael
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:08 AM
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan michael View Post
How can i increase the THR HOLD for more than 50%. so it will stay level hold.
You need to adjust the throttle curve to be more aggressive

By default the throttle curve starts at zero - this allows a bit of dead stick before the throttle kicks in. What we need to do is lift the throttle curve so it starts with more "movement" such that the hover trim can start higher and lift off.

My settings that work are:

[THR / CV]:
L 010.0%
1 035.0%
2 060.0%
3 075.0%
H 100.0%

with
[HOV-THR]
RATE: 040 (-058)

These give me a setting that starts the throttle with the slightest crank on the HOV THR knob and the curve is high enough for the V911 to take off and easy to set to a hover.

WARNING: Make this trim settings with the V911 firmly held down... if you adjust the L (Low) position on the throttle curve (THR / CV] to above 10% the copter may take off.

To keep the throttle response linear - adjust each of the values of the THR / CV to keep the curve displayed in a straight line. Keep H (High) at 100%. If you want an exponential (softer reaction at the bottom end) keep points 1 and 2 a bit lower than I have indicated.

And PLEASE: if you adjust the throttle curve so that the hover trim will lift the bird and hover... make sure the throttle cut switch is still working! It's no fun having a runaway chopper in a small room.

Throttle Stick response should not have changed... test before flying.

Cheers, Ian
PS: after a month of waiting, my bnf V911 arrived from China.
Murphys Law: I had ordered the old plug version (to be same as my first V911) and 5 old plug batteries. What arrived was old plug batteries and a new plug copter. Oh well.. at lest it won't get damaged for a while.