Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:29 AM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
Help!
AR6400 Wing

Well I dindnt know where exactly to put this... Flying wings, indoor micro, or scratchbuild... guess we will start here. This is my question... Can I use a DX6i and this AR6400 clone (ebay) to make this wing fly. I dont know the correct terminology... is this elevons? delta? I will only have the 2 control surfaces in the rear of the plane. no rudder. However I would like to use the onboard elevator and rudder servos on the 6400 to control it. I read a thread that said that this required a DX7i with 4 mixes to achive, but there was some arguring and confusion going on... so I wanted to make sure that was correct. I do have a spare aileron servo off a UM Polecat that I could add to the mix, but would prefer to keep it as simple as possible.
Thanks for any tips, suggestions...
ps. I know it may be difficult to fly with those 4 pole insulators on there.
oic is offline Find More Posts by oic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:00 AM
Our God's Alive
United States, NE, Bennet
Joined Mar 2011
306 Posts
It is v-tail mixing, because you only have elevator and aileron.
100mph is offline Find More Posts by 100mph
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:05 AM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
thanks 100mph for the quick repsonse... can I achive that with the elevator and rudder servo on the 6400 using the dx6i. only 2 mixes avaliable??? Ill be seaching for v-tail mixing in the meantime.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:12 AM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
maybe this???

http://www.rcpowers.com/community/th...ould-do.10443/
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:50 AM
Our God's Alive
Joined Mar 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oic View Post
Looks like that will work, I know all4smallrc that posted it knows a lot about micros and mixing. I use the v-tail mixing on my dX8 I don't know if the Dx6 has it. If it doesn't I would use the instructions in your link.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 AM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
thanks a bunch! Ill try out this mix at lunch and see what happens.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:24 PM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,617 Posts
All you need are two servos and this mixer:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tra_small.html
djacob7 is online now Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:35 PM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
This worked perfect!

with one exception. The rudder still functions on the left stick. I guess that is where the extra mixes would come in to turn off the left rudder stick? I will just have to behave on the left stick!
Took me forever to figure out how to adjust the travel for both directions!!! Got to move the arrow by pressing the rudder left or right to change the value! DUH. I need to read my book some more. Thanks to all!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:27 AM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
Update

WARNING!!!

This plane flies as good as it looks! Horrible!

What I learned:

How to set up the DX6i and an AR6400 to fly this type of plane.
(the solution was not perfect: the left rudder stick was still active, but workable)

How to set servo throw limits in both directions on the DX6i

Things that I think should fly... dont always fly.

Back to the drawing board... think I will build something with a proven design now.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:38 AM
Our God's Alive
Joined Mar 2011
306 Posts
It looks really tail heavy with the battery back like that, I would put it as far forward as possible
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:50 PM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
148 Posts
with battery full forward... start cutting throttle, would nose straigt down. that config it would at least sorta float level then crash.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:19 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oic View Post
with battery full forward... start cutting throttle, would nose straigt down. that config it would at least sorta float level then crash.
I would say tail heavy too. If the nose drops when you cut throttle then you need to add more up elevator trim. If then it climbs too fast when you add throttle again you need to add a bit of down thrust. When both are balanced it will behave much better.

But I think I also spot another problem with your wing: not enough side area behind the CG and too much side area in front of the CG. Remember, the prop when spinning adds side area to the plane (I think the rule of thumb is 2/3 the span of the prop). Having more side area in front of the CG than behind it makes it laterally unstable. What happens is that it will fly straight perfectly fine but the moment you try to make a turn the nose may try to move in the opposite direction of the turn.

To fix the lateral stability problem you can do one of two things: add a vertical stabilizer (simple) or move the prop to the rear and make it a pusher (not so simple). If you don't like the look of a large central fin you can add winglets to the tips of the wing. Don't add full span winglets - you're trying to increase the side area behind the CG not the full plane. Add winglets to the trailing edge of your wing tips.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman