HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Otto Dieffenbach, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,690 Posts
Discussion
Flyguy: How to find him in rcgroups

For those trying to find info on Flyguy, I have a master thread here in rcgroups. This is the link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post24231882

Here is the old master thread. Has good and dated info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505753

The first post gives you all the info needed to find discussion and build logs for the various forms of Flyguy.

Two are build logs for the Version 2 of Flyguy62 and Flyguy46. They are more rugged versions of Flyguy and the Depron and ply cutouts are available from balsabuddies.com if you don't want to cut the parts yourself.

Another entry point into all things Flyguy are my web pages at:

flyguypromotions.com and flyingguys.com

Here is some information on my latest Flyguy, Version 3.
Flyguy62 Version 3 is a fully aerobatic version of Flyguy and new as of February of 2014. Version 3 is designed for the intermediate to advanced flyer where Version 2 is designed for anybody that can fly a trainer. Version 3 has twin motors for yaw control and is capable of inside and outside loops. Rolls are very axial and yaw control allows slow and point rolls. Here is a link to the Build Log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121609

Flyguy 62 Version 3 Fully Aerobatic with Twin Motors by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 11 sec)

I just completed some experiments into flying boxes and cylinders. I dressed the prototype box up as Doctor Who's Tardis and the cylinder as a Red Bull can. Enjoy.

RC Flying Tardis on Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 14 sec)

RC Red Bull Can : Day 4 by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 46 sec)

Another creation is my Broom Flyer Wizard/Witch. We took her out on an evening of a full moon and had some fun.

RC Broom Flyer Wizard Returns by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 55 sec)

Finally, I've been developing a Quadplane. Working out the control system has been a challenge.

HoverflyDart Hybrid Quadcopter and Plane Flight 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 5 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Mar 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:13 PM
Phantom Driver
United States, AZ, Sun City
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Hello Classmate from Sun City, AZ

Dear Otto,

Saw your latest endeavors and thought I would say Hi!

Tom
Grzly23 is offline Find More Posts by Grzly23
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:38 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly23 View Post
Dear Otto,

Saw your latest endeavors and thought I would say Hi!

Tom
Tom, you look great. Had an old picture of your Novi Arrow that I added into the master database of classic pattern planes kept back east. Looks like a B-26 or an A-26. Hope it flys better than the real one we had at TPS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:09 AM
Phantom Driver
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Tom, you look great. Had an old picture of your Novi Arrow that I added into the master database of classic pattern planes kept back east. Looks like a B-26 or an A-26. Hope it flys better than the real one we had at TPS.
Thanks for the kind words for a 60 year old. Sheryl and I are living in Sun City, AZ near her parents and I am a AFJROTC Senior Instructor at Buckeye Union HS in Buckeye, AZ with 140 cadets. I am in my 6th year now.

After we saw you and the family in Huntington, CA in 87 we moved to the east in 92 for Air Command and Staff at Maxwell as student and then instructor and then on to DC in 94 as a member of National Guard Bureau IG with a satellite stint in OSD/RA and then retired in Jan 02.

We stayed in Arlington, VA until 06 as a Defense Contractor Analyst and then moved to Sun City. Sheryl has her own business now with helping elderly downsize and move into Assisted Care and Full Care.

That is a Marauder with two 36s, but it is CL Stunt. I went retro in 98 and have not gone back. Still dabble some in RC and have a Switch with my cadets presently.

Still do model Rockets too.

More later.

Tom
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzly23 View Post
Thanks for the kind words for a 60 year old. Sheryl and I are living in Sun City, AZ near her parents and I am a AFJROTC Senior Instructor at Buckeye Union HS in Buckeye, AZ with 140 cadets. I am in my 6th year now.

After we saw you and the family in Huntington, CA in 87 we moved to the east in 92 for Air Command and Staff at Maxwell as student and then instructor and then on to DC in 94 as a member of National Guard Bureau IG with a satellite stint in OSD/RA and then retired in Jan 02.

We stayed in Arlington, VA until 06 as a Defense Contractor Analyst and then moved to Sun City. Sheryl has her own business now with helping elderly downsize and move into Assisted Care and Full Care.

That is a Marauder with two 36s, but it is CL Stunt. I went retro in 98 and have not gone back. Still dabble some in RC and have a Switch with my cadets presently.

Still do model Rockets too.

More later.

Tom
CL? Are you kidding. Got to cut those strings. I've been doing a lot of FPV pylon and aerobatics with various platforms. You'd love it. As close to being in the cockpit as I've ever been with RC. Do you go to the annual SunCity Float Fly as a spectator?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:27 AM
Phantom Driver
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
CL? Are you kidding. Got to cut those strings. I've been doing a lot of FPV pylon and aerobatics with various platforms. You'd love it. As close to being in the cockpit as I've ever been with RC. Do you go to the annual SunCity Float Fly as a spectator?
Never have been to the float fly. Haven't engaged in competitive RC since 1994.

In 1999 I entered CL Stunt competitively and never have looked back.

My AFJROTC cadets are starting RC with Flyzone Switch and RealFlight 6.5.

I am finishing a third Marauder for semi-scale CL Stunt. It has two 40s and weighs 7 lbs. One thing CL Stunt taught me was to build light. I wish when I was flying RC I knew the tricks about weight reduction that I know now.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,690 Posts
7 lbs is a lot of pull. The Float Fly, I am told, is a huge event.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
Phantom Driver
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Why don't you come out and we will go to it?

I did fly floats back in 1990 -1993 at Lake Elsinore and Alabama.

Tom
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:21 PM
Phantom Driver
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Try this website; http://www.crosman.com/champions-of-...smanship-award

You will see what 60 looks like on me.

Tom
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:17 PM
Phantom Driver
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the Novi Arrow Fleet.

Tom