Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:58 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Discussion
Why do people pay more for used?

This is a question and I really would like to know what some of you think. I am really confused why people often pay more on sites like this or ebay for fairly common items. Often with minimal research you can get item new for less no hassle and warranty. I have often looked for copters etc. on this site and ebay but ended up buying new for same or often less. Example I got mcpx v2 new with 7 batteries on ebay for 120. People were paying 125 for same item used with no batteries at the exact same time i bought my copter. It is peoples business what they pay so pease don't bash me. I am just curious.
thanks
billygoat11 is offline Find More Posts by billygoat11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:33 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,455 Posts
Trader Rating: 174
Ah...I wouldn't worry bout it..

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Not sure what you mean?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:38 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
It means that there will never be a good answer to questions like that, and if you spend your days wondering about things that you have absolutely no control over you wont have any time to fly.

You cant save the world from themselves.
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:41 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,455 Posts
Trader Rating: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdweller View Post
It means that there will never be a good answer to questions like that, and if you spend your days wondering about things that you have absolutely no control over you wont have any time to fly.

You cant save the world from themselves.
Well said...Thanks DD...

Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Sorry to bother all of you

Just had a question, why is everyone so defensive about the question I asked? It is totally up to buyers what they pay, just interested why they do it.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,825 Posts
Trader Rating: 23
I've many times purchase things like 'orange rx'; and other things from members here for 2x's the cost . we all have our reasons, but most of the time for me it's because shipping is faster, and items are more reliable from members here (been tested and works. Of course you have to know your seller.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Thanks rcalldaylong, I appreciate someone that takes time to answer a question without being condescending, You anwwer makes sense and is appreciated
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:05 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,746 Posts
Trader Rating: 230
BG11, a lot of eBay is the thrill of the hunt. Much of eBay's advertising uses the term "won" instead of "bought", it's a psychological ploy. For me, if I pay for something, I've "bought" it, auction or not. It's also a great place to offload open box and one-of goods.

Many people here will pay more to have things quicker. Most sellers here ship faster/sooner than the online retailers, so you get your stuff quicker, chalk that up to "instant gratification". Good examples are places like Hobbyking that take forever to ship and transit time is high. For many, time is money and it's up to you to determine which is more important.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:44 PM
List too Big for a Bucket!
USA, NJ, Stewartsville
Joined Jul 2010
414 Posts
Trader Rating: 50
I always love the old "sorry you didn't win" computer generated message from ebay. Why would they think I'm sorry? I'm only going to bid on something up to the point that I feel it is a loss to go higher. They are sorry that I didn't overbid so their commission would be higher. If the price appears too high, then walk away....your money will always be good somewhere else. As a rule, if I have to pay more than 80% of retail for an item, then I might as well pay the 100% and get the comfort of knowing that the item has a guarantee and that it is easy to return if there is a problem.
ww2collector is offline Find More Posts by ww2collector
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:47 PM
Down is up and up is expensive
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Trader Rating: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
BG11, a lot of eBay is the thrill of the hunt. Much of eBay's advertising uses the term "won" instead of "bought", it's a psychological ploy. For me, if I pay for something, I've "bought" it, auction or not. It's also a great place to offload open box and one-of goods.

Many people here will pay more to have things quicker. Most sellers here ship faster/sooner than the online retailers, so you get your stuff quicker, chalk that up to "instant gratification". Good examples are places like Hobbyking that take forever to ship and transit time is high. For many, time is money and it's up to you to determine which is more important.
Well said! I like the HK Orange Rx's, but I would rather pay 6 or 7 bucks more for them from a trusted seller on here and get them in 3 or 4 days than buy them cheaper from HK and then have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get them, plus the fact that I'm putting American money back into the American economy. Lets say for example, the seller on here buys 10 Orange rx's from HK for 6 bucks a piece and then sells the same 10 on here for 12 bucks a piece, well that's 60 bucks extra back into our economy (less the shipping of course), That's just my opinion though! I know when I buy something here that there's not going to be a warranty with it, but I wouldn't send a bad $6.00 Rx back to HK anyways, now something that's pretty expensive would be a totally different story. It all comes down to how long are you willing to wait for what you need or for what you want!
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Last edited by oneagleswings; Jan 09, 2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:59 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Trader Rating: 96
Do you need any Orange RXs?
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:12 AM
Down is up and up is expensive
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Trader Rating: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
Do you need any Orange RXs?
LOL! No, I just got a couple from a guy on here a few weeks ago! In a couple of more weeks it may be a different story though! Thanks!
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:47 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,215 Posts
Trader Rating: 58
OP-there is no explanation for some of the things people do.-We still have a warm spot in our hearts for the proud gentleman who purchased a Sig Citabria on E-bay for nearly three times what it is available for at SIG !

Some folks "need" one and grab the first one available,as hemi-killer says..
-You're a classic example of that-ready to throw in the towel when the answer you're looking for doesn't pop up immediately......slow down,take your time..

Your chopper sounds like a deal-however,what made you compare prices after you bought it? Whatever caused it,other folks don't think the same as you.
Impulse buying is MY problem..I see something,I just gotta have it ! Then it goes on a shelf in the garage attic for 25 years.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:14 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
All I have to say is;

YOU CAN"T CURE STUPID

I am guilty of getting caught up in an Ebay auction myself. I payed way to much for my first DX7 and then turned around and bought a new one from my LHS because the Ebay one kept loosing a bind in the air and I lost 2 planes because of it. I now will not buy a used Transmitter, ever! Used rec, maybe but the things that keep me in the air I would prefer to buy new and not used. Example, A rec advertised on here or any other site as new or barely used could have been in a crash and the owner is selling off the parts left from the wreck. The rec may check out good but it may fail on you in the air due the crash and then the jostle of the raod trip to get to you and then the vibrations of the airframe. I would rather buy a new one and have the peace of mind that if it fails, It is probably something that I did wrong.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr