HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2014, 09:02 PM
United States, CA, Soquel
Joined May 2011
136 Posts
The Vector definitely seems to work better in my plane than my quad.It makes sense though since eagle tree has been dealing with autopilot on planes for a while and fairly new to the multirotor game.I have never used apm before though so I cannot compare it unfortunately,
sparkyincali is online now Find More Posts by sparkyincali
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,676 Posts
What features from the pixhawk do you really need?
I can't imagine getting anymore functionality than that of an APM.
Matty12 is online now Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
584 Posts
Thanks for the replies all. Seems like the APM is the favorite. I am just really unhappy with all the wires and fragile connectors of the APM. Looks like the PixHawk is just bad as the 2.5. So I will fly my APM 2.5 for a while. Also seems harder to find the correct connectors for the 2.5. Thanks
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Feb 2013
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Thanks for the replies all. Seems like the APM is the favorite. I am just really unhappy with all the wires and fragile connectors of the APM. Looks like the PixHawk is just bad as the 2.5. So I will fly my APM 2.5 for a while. Also seems harder to find the correct connectors for the 2.5. Thanks
:/ I can't imagine an AP with many less wires? You can cut them down, I use PPM input and only carry the signal wires out so for the output I plug in a single 4 pin plug (like a 4 wire servo connector). Do you use a case for your APM? It makes a big difference.
If it helps, my APM has out-survived a few planes it's controlled, I only just put a voltage protection diode on and the reg still survives even! The connectors and wires look fragile but I feel that's deceiving!
Matty12 is online now Find More Posts by Matty12
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post
What features from the pixhawk do you really need?
I can't imagine getting anymore functionality than that of an APM.
Redundant sensors, 32 bit architecture, faster processor, more memory, future development. There's talk about adding redundant GPS as well.

From what I understand the MiniOSD with 'extra' is full. There is no more room on the chip. With ArduCopter they're running into a similar issue. With ArduPlane you still have some time. The question is how much time once they start adding in more code. What I loathe on the Pixhawk is the DF-19 connectors. You have to buy a 'cell phone pry tool' to remove the things! Hopefully they'll fix that with the PixHawk2. Which brings in IMU dampeners and makes the PIX more like a cube than a rectangle.

I was going to put a Pixhawk in the Skyhunter. Then I discovered my missing APM board already inside the Skyhunter.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Yesterday at 09:57 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jan 2014
119 Posts
One of my pix is in my sky hunter. I haven't flown it yet. Still combing through the ful parameters to make sure I'm not missing anything and adjusting minimosd extra in prep for adding Video gear. Lack of PPM RSSI on APM is disappointing. I have rewritten the read rssi to pull in the ppm, but I could not get the latest master to build last night. Sonar was just reworked to be true rangefinding to take advantage of non acoustic distance sensors, so smoother auto landings may be coming soon. I have not hooked up my sonar or FPV gear yet. One of the major changes to hit APM recently is the new filters.
simGuru is offline Find More Posts by simGuru
Last edited by simGuru; Yesterday at 11:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simGuru View Post
Lack of PPM RSSI on APM is disappointing.
I'm using MinimOSD extra and I'm able to pull RSSI from my EZUHF...

https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/RSSI

What sucks is you lose channel 6 for RSSI. You can't change it since they're out of space on the chip. No change is needed on the RX end of things. So you end up blowing away two channels just for the OSD. One for RSSI and the other for flipping pages in the OSD. It'd be nice if they allowed it via one of the analog inputs or on the I2C port.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12 View Post
:/ I can't imagine an AP with many less wires? You can cut them down, I use PPM input and only carry the signal wires out so for the output I plug in a single 4 pin plug (like a 4 wire servo connector). Do you use a case for your APM? It makes a big difference.
If it helps, my APM has out-survived a few planes it's controlled, I only just put a voltage protection diode on and the reg still survives even! The connectors and wires look fragile but I feel that's deceiving!
Yes, I have a case for the APM. The wires from the receiver to the APM is not the trouble. It is all of the other sensor wires. Just venting a little. Where I really have a problem is the telem port to radio/OSD and the OSD has a bunch of wire on the output side of it. But I'll get over it. IMHO it is just not a professional aircraft type installation. Like I say, just venting.
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
996 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I have a case for the APM. The wires from the receiver to the APM is not the trouble. It is all of the other sensor wires. Just venting a little. Where I really have a problem is the telem port to radio/OSD and the OSD has a bunch of wire on the output side of it. But I'll get over it. IMHO it is just not a professional aircraft type installation. Like I say, just venting.
It's possible to do a pretty clean install for such a thing. Here's the layout of my two Talons. The entire bay is visible on those so it's better to see how everything's set up. The airspeed sensor is on the side opposite of the SEPIC in these photos but not called out.

The red one I built first and is a standard config. The black one is modified to have a conventional tail instead of a V-Tail and the "skeg" on the bottom is removed. The black talon is my all-time favorite FPV plane. I like it even more than my skyhunter. It tracks straight and true and is significantly faster than the skyhunter on the same amount of power. I've done 53 miles in 78 minutes with it and had enough battery for 5-10 more minutes on landing.
Noircogi is offline Find More Posts by Noircogi
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tom. I've been using the MyFly Dreams with the antenna tracker. I have been very happy with it. May not be as advance as some but it works well and so far has been well supported. Also has less wires than some of the other auto pilots I have used.

Mike
metalbender4by is offline Find More Posts by metalbender4by