HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:06 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
Discussion
Giant scale landing gear removal - could use some help

I need to remove the landing gear from a 50cc SBach 342. It's held onto the outside by nuts.

There are bolts on the inside. You can see them here - this is looking down from above the airplane. Sorry it's out of focus.

You can see the threads of two bolts (highlighted in green) that are horizontally mounted. The heads of these are neither visible nor accessible, appearing as if I'd have to cut some covering to get at them. And the shafts are blocking access to the bolt heads (highlighted in red) that hold the gear on. I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on here and hope that someone more familiar with giant scale might be able to shed some light.

Cheers!
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,215 Posts
I don't quite have a full understanding of your problem....The two horizontal bolts can be cut to shorten the extra length,if that's what is keeping you from loosening the gear bolts.

I have,on occasion,drilled a 1/16" hole through a bolt head,and pushed a piece of music wire through the hole as a 'lock',to hold it while removing the nut.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,169 Posts
Cutting a bit of covering away is not a big deal... if that's in fact the only thing that is needed to reach the "horizontal" screws.. Its possible the horizontal screws are holding the LG plate in...

I just might bet if you cut a tad of covering to allow access to those screws.. remove those.. the whole plate/gear ass'ly will come out as one. Then simply unscrew the LG from the plate.

I'm pretty sure thats how its designed... check it out.

BTW.. why do you have to remove the LG?
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:00 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Joined Mar 2011
1,178 Posts
Thanks for the input, folks.

The plane is new to me but not new. The gear itself is twisted to the point that the port side wheel is about an inch further aft than starboard. I wanted to remove the gear both to replace it and to check how the mounting area might be affected.

In any case the previous owner (an experienced builder) is in my area and has offered to replace the gear and repair the mount for me - so I'll likely go that route.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:44 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,064 Posts
Why is there a hinge plugging your fuel line?
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:06 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Why is there a hinge plugging your fuel line?
To keep the fuel in ? lol
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,327 Posts
Lol, I do that when I store mine as well.

Whatever is handy, I guess.
Nergall is offline Find More Posts by Nergall
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:38 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,214 Posts
Without seeing the model I'm guessing that the horizontal bolts are holding the engine mount in place. To get at the LG screws you will need to remove the cowl and engine. Then when you re-fit all this stuff you may want to consider replacing the nuts for the horizontal screws with T nuts that pull into the plywood bulkhead and shorten the screws so that they do not block the LG screw heads. I would also suggest that the LG screws be replaced with internal nut plates where nuts are soldered to the plate and the plate is secured with glue or small screws so you can use screws inserted from below for a smoother look than the exposed screws and nuts that are there at present.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,439 Posts
I'm assuming those are not 1/4-20. If it were me (and this is just my opinion), I would cut the bolts off from the out side with a cutoff wheel, punch the bolts through and shake them out. Drill and tap the wood for 1/4-20 and use nylon bolts. Saves the gear mounts in an accident. The right way to do it would be to use 1/4-20 T-nuts, but since you say you dont have access, may not be an option. I would grind it more open for accessibility.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1