Closed Thread
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:48 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,128 Posts
Discussion
Flying indoors....

I'm new to EDF's but am interested in a commercially available EDF plane that I can fly indoors in a double basketball court (and a little larger). Are there any EDF UM's available that would fly in a space this size? Looking at a lot of posts it appears most planes this size are scratchbuilt. Are there any kits/plans available?

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Last edited by swimmer; Aug 05, 2011 at 04:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 05:43 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
I designed a S3 Viking, several years ago, that was able to indoor flying... Powered with a pair of GWS EDF 50. 1100mm WS. Nice cool flyer... Still have the TIFF files for the plans.
GGRN is offline Find More Posts by GGRN
Last edited by GGRN; Aug 05, 2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:12 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
The only commercially available plane that can do that are the two airhogs/silverlit jets.

Flying in tight spaces is not about plans or available kits. It is about the way you build it. If someone gives you plans and shrink it, it doesn't mean t hat the required space will shrink to.

It is about wing loading. Build light.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:26 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
The only commercially available plane that can do that are the two airhogs/silverlit jets.

Flying in tight spaces is not about plans or available kits. It is about the way you build it. If someone gives you plans and shrink it, it doesn't mean t hat the required space will shrink to.

It is about wing loading. Build light.
Oh yes ! And there's only one way : Build it as light as possible to get the smallest wingload possible, so you'll get something able to low speed and to fly in tight spaces. Good flying skills do help too...
GGRN is offline Find More Posts by GGRN
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:33 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
You want ideas for building light. Here is mine - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436246

You should really be looking at Gordon's planes though. The video for this one is on page five. THis partly inspired what I'm doing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=airbender
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:26 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,128 Posts
Looks like EDF powered flying is mainly an outdoor activity?
Old Aug 05, 2011, 09:53 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Yes but that is definitely not a limitation. What type of specs are you looking for?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by boredom.is.me; Aug 06, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:00 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Yes but that is definitely a limitation. What type of specs are you looking for?
Just testing the water looking for an upcoming winter project. I have access to a very nice indoor flying venue where a number of friends and myself fly ultra micro aircraft. EDF appears to me to be another aspect of RC I would like to pursue. The Hobbyking F86's and MIG's look intriguing and and have considered ordering one to fly outside just as a starting point.

Allan
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
The fan also has to be designed for higher static thrust but lower eflux speeds to be any use at indoor speeds. Since most jet fans seem to be speed demons the fans tend to be designed for better high speed thrust than static thrust.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 06, 2011, 11:24 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
You still haven't given us any sort of desires/goals.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 06:01 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
If you build extremely light and use the fan from an airhogs, you could make an indoor jet but it'll have to be under 1oz RTF (the lighter the better) and you'll still need a pretty big indoor area.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:48 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,128 Posts
Quote:
You still haven't given us any sort of desires/goals.
Is this a test, boredom.is.me?

First step in any project which includes asking a question on rcgroups, IMHO, is information gathering and informed pilots usually respond as has been the case so far from which I expect to make decisions as to what are my goal/desires. My initial thought was to fly EDF planes indoors, however, I've learned quite a bit already and looks like it would be more productive to concentrate effort flying outdoors hence the reference to HK EDF micro aircraft. My next step would be to communicate with pilots of this size aircraft.

If it is, I'll be expecting an "A+".

Allan
Last edited by swimmer; Aug 06, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:30 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Is this a test, boredom.is.me?

First step in any project which includes asking a question on rcgroups, IMHO, is information gathering and informed pilots usually respond as has been the case so far from which I expect to make decisions as to what are my goal/desires. My initial thought was to fly EDF planes indoors, however, I've learned quite a bit already and looks like it would be more productive to concentrate effort flying outdoors hence the reference to HK EDF micro aircraft. My next step would be to communicate with pilots of this size aircraft.

If it is, I'll be expecting an "A+".

Allan
What's your problem (if there is one)? I am only trying to help. It is impossible to give appropriate help without knowing what is being asked.

It is hard to know what is sarcasm and what is subliminal when it comes to reading a text. If you don't want me to try and help, fine. Just don't start getting all smart on me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
And in my #7 post, I meant "not a limitation", but that should not have been hard to figure out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:50 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,128 Posts
Quote:
What's your problem (if there is one)? I am only trying to help. It is impossible to give appropriate help without knowing what is being asked.

It is hard to know what is sarcasm and what is subliminal when it comes to reading a text. If you don't want me to try and help, fine. Just don't start getting all smart on me.
Thanks to everyone that has been gracious enough to provide me with information regarding EDF's. I guess I don't know why this has degraded to censored words and apparent anger. It is not my goal/desire to to cause or add to conflict so it looks best to discontinue my questions regarding EDF flight on this forum. I''ll get my answers elsewhere. Again, thanks to you all as I appreciate the help I received.

Allan
Closed Thread