HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:00 AM
Homer Glen, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Discussion
PCA-2 Building Thread

I felt it was time to start another PCA-2 building thread. I welcome all comments, suggestions and criticisim.
Before I started building I made a complete kit off of the plans. There is a wealth of information on the plans and Dave did a fantastic job on it. I prefer to make up a kit so all the parts are ready to assemble. I even make up my own landing gear blocks including cutting the 5/32" groove in them. It takes some time but then everything is done and ready to make it look like a PCA-2.
T6Junkie is offline Find More Posts by T6Junkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:33 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,806 Posts
Pete,

Your building is 'first class'..thanks for posting your photos. Looking forward to more build piccys!!

Regards Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:54 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Here's a comment....WOW!!!!!! That looks great Pete! And here I thought you were just pulling my leg...you do have this thing built! Looks awesome! Now Pete, you mentioned that on my supply list I missed the 3/16 sticks for the stringers....yes? I want to make sure guys know.

There were some other things out there that Pete suggested...numbering the ribs on the plans, which we are planning on doing. All comments are welcomed guys.

Looks great Pete!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:58 PM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Nice work Pete. Yes....I did forget a couple things....but they can be fixed.
You build looks flawless! Very impressed man! It is looking amazing so far and I cant wait to see it in the air!!!!!!

Dave
imsofaman is offline Find More Posts by imsofaman
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:24 PM
Lakeland,FL
Joined Jan 2005
341 Posts
Build thread

Lookin good Pete. You are a real craftman. I have seen some of your work at Morris at the Autogyro Flyins there..
I was getting along fairly well with mind then I crashed my RPG and have put a new front end on it.
I still have some time here before I go to Muncie for the Nats. then a Little further North.
Keep the thread going.

Jim
rcflyerfl is offline Find More Posts by rcflyerfl
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:22 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hi Pete,
Looking good so far! I can't wait to get back home and work on mine. I'm stuck away from home for full scale aircraft training for the time being. Have you decided on a color scheme yet? I'm still torn between the Beechnut maroon/white, and the Pennzoil Black and gold, but I'm almost nearly positively certain it will maybe be one of those. I'll be watching your build far from my workbench, keep up the great work.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:41 AM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Pca-2

Hi Guys,
Thanks to all for the kind words. I really appreciate them. I had a slight delay in working on the PCA-2 since the hockey finals were on and today they held a huge parade and rally for the Chicago Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup.
So now it's back to work on the most beautiful Autogyro. This is actually the first scale model of a gyro that I have ever done and look forward to getting it done. I haven't decided as to what color I will do it in yet. I may be partial to the red Beechnut scheme. Right now I'm in the process of making the square fuselage round and building the vertical fin and rudder so all these parts will be ready for covering. I'll get some more pictures soon. I also have to start building the wing so that I can finish building the bottom of the fuse. I'm going to make it built up with formers and stringers instead of a full block of wood.
The one part I don't look forward to is bending up all the wire parts. I hate doing that but it is a necessary evil.
Pete
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:35 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
I'm with you on the wire bending Pete! It's a real pain! To make it easier I used one of these...well worth the purchase.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGFW4&P=FR
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:28 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Mike.....I sent you a video and I need your address. Please forward the address via email?

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:02 PM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Pca-2

Here's a short update on my construction of the PCA-2. I now have a round fuselage with all the formers added and all the stringers in place. It's absolutely amazing how light it is so far. I've also installed the tail wheel mounts to the fuse. I have a piece of 1/4" hard ply in between the fuse sides with a piece of hard 1/8" ply on the bottom. This will let me feather the bottom of the fuse into the tail wheel mount. The tailwheel mount will be held on with 2 4-40 allen head sheet metal screws. It's too difficult to get blind nuts in place and I have mounted many tail wheels with the sheet metal screws. I also added a small piece of balsa to the rudder where the horn will go. This just strengthens up the area.
My next bit of construction will be the center section of the wing. I need this so I can build the bottom of the fuse. I'm going to build the bottom the same way as the sides and top with formers and stringers. To me it's easier this way and a lot lighter.
I'm also going to mount the motor to the firewall just to get that out of the way.
Pete
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:43 PM
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Pete,
Light is good! That thing is looking great! It's like deja vu!

Can't wait to see the engine on there!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:11 AM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Pca-2

Here's a quick update for today. The wing center section is built and drying on the bench. All the internal parts are in it. When it's dry tomorrow I can sheet the top of it.

Joe,
This one is for you. The engine is mounted. I'm using a Thunder Tiger 91 - 4 stroke. I've used many of these and they are very strong, good idle, and low vibration. It's a little heavier than a Saito 91 but I would rather carry engine weight than dead weight.

Pete
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:47 AM
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Heavier is good! Looks perfect Pete. I put in right thrust first but then ended up taking it out. It just doesn't need it for some reason...tracks better without, in my opinion. Looks awesome!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:32 AM
Nowhere
Joined Aug 2003
6,178 Posts
Oh yeah baby!!!! She is looking strong!!!!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Pca-2

Gentlemen,
Here's another update to my construction of the PCA-2.
I have the center section ready to sheet the top side. I thought I would explain a few things I did. On the forward landing gear block I doubled up the center of it where the wing dowels go thru. I used some left over maple and shaped it to the ribs. It is now extremely solid. I also have another thing I do. That is to replace the wooden dowels with solid 1/4" aluminum rod which is available at most hardware stores. From past experience I have had the wooden dowels wear out or break or even burn from friction. This won't happen with aluminum. I'm trying to build as much longevity in this build as possible.
The last suggestion I have is to make the bolt blocks in the wing out of very hard balsa but have the grain running vertical instead of horizontal. When done this way there is no compression of the wood. It's the same thing as putting hardwood in but this is lighter and easier to sand.
That's it for today. It's raining very hard here so I have to get some chores done inside the house or my wife won't let me play later.
Pete