Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
Thanks alot Lancer. I was actually checking out those micro boards on hobby king earlier. Seems like a pretty sweet setup and very affordable. Heck if I go that route then I can use my old champ board in my balsa rubber power conversion. Would it be possible to run 2s with those boards? Im still a noob to all this brushless stuff.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
Thanks alot Lancer. I was actually checking out those micro boards on hobby king earlier. Seems like a pretty sweet setup and very affordable. Heck if I go that route then I can use my old champ board in my balsa rubber power conversion. Would it be possible to run 2s with those boards? Im still a noob to all this brushless stuff.
If you put a small UBEC in place to run the board, (7.4V in, 5V out to the micro board), with a resistor in series, to bring it down to 4.2V, that would work.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
If you put a small UBEC in place to run the board, (7.4V in, 5V out to the micro board), with a resistor in series, to bring it down to 4.2V, that would work.
The Champ brick can't control an external ESC without a PWM translator.

A diode would worked better than a resistor to step the voltage down from 5 to 4.2.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
What he said.

Silicon diode in series will drop about .7 Volts. Just right.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Here's a float plan. Good Luck!
Thanks! These plans look far easier than some of the others I've seen, look a lot lighter too. I'll be sure to post updates as I make them, I do have one question though, how should I bend the music wire for the landing struts? Would pliers be enough?
Toklan is offline Find More Posts by Toklan
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Yes on pliers-bent.

I just pulled the front strut out of the plane, and traced it on paper, then duplicated it, (twice, so I could keep the original wheeled gear), with .032" music wire, using the pliers to bend it. I cut a slit in the bottom of the fuselage, put in the aft strut, and then glued in a piece of 1/32" plywood to hold it in.
The Champ flies fine with the floats mounted, but without the subfin you see on mine, but those are often added to Champs on floats, and it does no harm.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
I just pulled the front strut out of the plane, and traced it on paper, then duplicated it, (twice, so I could keep the original wheeled gear), with .032" music wire, using the pliers to bend it. I cut a slit in the bottom of the fuselage, put in the aft strut, and then glued in a piece of 1/32" plywood to hold it in.
The Champ flies fine with the floats mounted, but without the subfin you see on mine, but those are often added to Champs on floats, and it does no harm.
Awesome, Thanks again! and that rudder idea sounds cool too, hope to see pics of that when you're done
Toklan is offline Find More Posts by Toklan
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Here is a nice little setup. Though I haven't tried it in the Champ, it should do the job.
You wouldn't need the extra servo shown here.
There is also a more square version, the Mx-0104ARX-HBL, which may fit in the Champ better.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._one_5ch_.html
What transmitter are you using with this receiver?

Tnx

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
What transmitter are you using with this receiver?

Tnx

RD
Hi, Doug! I bought a nice Futaba T9CAP transmitter, from Opus44, here on RCG,
and installed this module;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Module_.html

Just popped out the 72mHz module, put in the new one, and I'm ready for summer!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
I think I might have to try some floats out. I have some roof baffles kicking around from a reno I did. these things

Light weight and strong I think they will work well.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31
Hi, Doug! I bought a nice Futaba T9CAP transmitter, from Opus44, here on RCG, and installed this module;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Module_.html

Just popped out the 72mHz module, put in the new one, and I'm ready for summer!
Nice. I wonder if HK has the same module for a HiTec Optic 6 transmitter? I'll have to check on that. I bought the Optic 6 a few years back, planning on using it for several of my 72 Mhz planes, but never really did so. I won two Futaba 2.4 Ghz transmitters, the 6EX and a 7 channel unit. Thereafter, discovered the Spektrum DX6i, and as they say, the rest is history. Most of my micro's flying on the Spektrum system.

Wishing you a great summer of flying.......had my Ember 2 #1 out last night in unseasonably warm weather. May put Champ #2 up this evening. Great little plane.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Rookie Hopeful
Massillon, Ohio
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Champ Motor Install

I just put an order for a champ motor replacement from RCbabbel.

Looking at my old motor setup, what do you do to remove the old motor setup and replace the new motor ? The old setup was potted in with some kind of white material and what do you use when installing the new motor.

Need help and advise.

Regards

Paul
air4prs is offline Find More Posts by air4prs
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Paul speaking in general and it gets the job done. Want to be technical then you get the right stuff

A nice picking away at the semi one Chaulk on top. Then getting under the Nikon plastic mount will pry up and some foam may come off with it. Replace with general home depot chaulking selicon
Hobbiest will tell you it has agents chems that will harm. I said at the start you want the general way to go about it you got it
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:50 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air4prs View Post
I just put an order for a champ motor replacement from RCbabbel.

Looking at my old motor setup, what do you do to remove the old motor setup and replace the new motor ? The old setup was potted in with some kind of white material and what do you use when installing the new motor.

Need help and advise.

Regards

Paul
I did it using this instruction, worked like a charm http://ginnylee.hubpages.com/hub/Hob...-Motor-Upgrade
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:37 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I still want to make an EDF Champ...
I now have a 64mm edf, esc, and hollow Champ. I may be the first to own a 10oz, 60mph Champ.

We shall see.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen