HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Well with everything that I have in this plane my CG is at 77mm!
Is this a problem? Can I fly with this CG?

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:36 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
389.6% Correct answer AJ.
Thanks. I have been telling GENE for months to get new batteries for his slide rule. But, he does not listen.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:37 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post

Geotete
I would not recommend it without a gyro.
OR, the obvious extra nose weight (yuk).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I would not recommend it without a gyro.
OR, the obvious extra nose weight (yuk).
AJ
I'm relaying in the FY-31AP

Geotete
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Thanks. I have been telling GENE for months to get new batteries for his slide rule. But, he does not listen.
AJ
He asked the percentage BIGGER. I still go with my number.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
286 Posts
Detachable Wings

There are inconsistent results that follow the various methods; the undocumented details make the difference.

The reason - ajbaker #2149 - works is it is UNDER the wing and uses a wide piece of VelcroŽ. This means that when the wing bends up in normal flight, the velco keeps the wings from separating. Velco on top and bottom would be better for rolls and inverted.

ajbaker #2149
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2149

The reason - kmihalkov #15630 - works is the stiff pieces on top and bottom of the wing around the CF rod and turns it into an "I-beam" with lots of support for the CF rod.

kmihalkov #15630
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15630

The reason HobbyKing's (HK) blue velcro works better is the velcro is very stiff.
In the many types of velcro I have, the "hooks" (grippy part) are always stiffer than the "loops" (passive part). This means the hooks should be the bridge part that goes between the two wings.

In summery my opinion dejure (and dejour):
1) Velcro top and bottom.
2) Wide velcro or a section over the rod and another near the wing front.
3) Use stiff velcro and Bridge the wings with the stiffest part of the velcro.

The servo wires need to be flush in a small cut slot to ensure they don't keep the wings from joining. The slot needs to be beside the velco so the wires don't interfere with the velcro.

NOTE: Attach the wings without putting them through the body, flex them up/down/backwards and you can see the results of your design. Compare it to what you would expect if they were glued together.

OWLPIC

PS: All the years of "twitters" on this build-blog really makes it difficult to get the information that this blog was intended and is needed by those trying to enjoy a Bixler. At any time afterwords nonproductive comments can be replaced by the author with something of value to the hobby.
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic
Last edited by OwlPic; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
What is the difference between a conventional "tractor" prop and a pusher prop?
They are a mirror image of each other. One works spinning clockwise while the other works spinning counter clockwise.
They are for twin engine planes to counteract the torque of each motor.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:19 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlPic View Post
There are inconsistent results that follow the various methods; the undocumented details make the difference.

The reason - ajbaker #2149 - works is it is UNDER the wing and uses a wide piece of VelcroŽ. This means that when the wing bends up in normal flight, the velco keeps the wings from separating. Velco on top and bottom would be better for rolls and inverted.

ajbaker #2149
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2149

The reason - kmihalkov #15630 - works is the stiff pieces on top and bottom of the wing around the CF rod and turns it into an "I-beam" with lots of support for the CF rod.

kmihalkov #15630
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15630

The reason HobbyKing's (HK) blue velcro works better is the velcro is very stiff.
In the many types of velcro I have, the "hooks" (grippy part) are always stiffer than the "loops" (passive part). This means the hooks should be the bridge part that goes between the two wings.

In summery my opinion dejure (and dejour):
1) Velcro top and bottom.
2) Wide velcro or a section over the rod and another near the wing front.
3) Use stiff velcro and Bridge the wings with the stiffest part of the velcro.

The servo wires need to be flush in a small cut slot to ensure they don't keep the wings from joining. The slot needs to be beside the velco so the wires don't interfere with the velcro.

NOTE: Attach the wings without putting them through the body, flex them up/down/backwards and you can see the results of your design. Compare it to what you would expect if they were glued together.

OWLPIC
Glad you finally came to your own conclusion
After all, the right answer is the one you choose
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Jun 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Ok, We just got the Bixler. We are having two problems. #1 it tends to turn to the left with power and without power. I have my trim setup all the way to the right just to counter the flight. The ailerons are centered and I have the same amount of throw for both of them. I do not understand why it likes to turn left. Rudder is center as well. Ideas?
I had a similar problem with mine, I dont remember which direction it went but I ended up adjusting the neutral positions on my rudder and ailerons to get it to fly straight and level.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post

Geotete
Its going to be a little squirly. Usually too far back will make a plane unstable while too forward will make it more stable but nose heavy.

For an autopilot you should trim the plane for level flight before activating the AP for the first time. If it doesnt have enough control authority it wont be able to make an unstable plane fly straight and if your your PIDs are wrong you could end up crashing.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
... you could end up crashing.
At this point I already accepted that!
Waiting for better weather.
Thanks.

Geotete
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
If you did not take the washers/slug/ ball bearing, out of the nose that might be the problem,but you probably did.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Limited, I took out the washers... Man are those heavy. The plane still needs a little more weight on the nose. Its not the prop cause I have it off and it still wants to turn... Hummmm...
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,626 Posts
Quote:
Limited, I took out the washers... Man are those heavy. The plane still needs a little more weight on the nose. Its not the prop cause I have it off and it still wants to turn... Hummmm...
Check your lateral CG
NorCalMatCat is online now Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE