HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:33 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,134 Posts
Cool
New Electric Planes... FULL SIZE!!!

I just got back from Oshkosh Airventure... if you don't know what that is better look it up you are a disgrace to aviation!! well not really but you better learn.

Anyhow, I could not believe how many companies are putting out electric airplanes! One in particular seems to be the most advanced, www.yuneec.com . They have a line of Brushless motors and controllers that are amazing. They have a 10kw (13hp) 20kw (18hp) and 40kw (54hp). They have a Backpack paraplane, an Ultralight, and a 2 place composite Light Sport Aircraft.

The 2 place has a 28:1 glide ratio (sailplane range) and they are claiming a 3 hour endurance with 6 - 28 lb Lipo Batteries.

A year or so ago i put up a thread asking what people thought about making a man powered foamy. Pretty much everyone thought i was crazy - mainly because no one thought that you could get enough endurance out of it. Well i am telling you this is the wave of the future! Amazing results from these guys.

Anyhow here are some pics.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:50 PM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
726 Posts
sweet

The easy riser was from 1979 and also part of the museum up there. Looked like a starter motor out on the tail, but the new planes are pretty cool. Did you see the throttle quadrant on the motor glider had a little slider switch for the power, pretty neet. Quite a few electrics, next will be a hybrid.

Pyro
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus
Old Aug 02, 2009, 09:09 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,134 Posts
I was more impressed with the cool multifunction display they had for the big motor. It sounds like you were there. Did you see the display model they had sitting there? It was very cool. Had Power level (throttle), amps, battery, temp for motor and batteries, and a few other readings. It looked great. I wish i would have gotten a picture of the motors and displays. I never did get a chance to go back to the tent and talk to them again.

I talked with the Yuneec sales guy a bit. He said the big motor was putting out 150 volts! That has to be a shocker!
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:24 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
I want one, and an elrectric PPG !! Smooth and quite. perfect
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:34 PM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
EV Planes

It is easier to covert an airplane to electric propulsion than a car because the airplane is so light and the prop turning at such a low speed does not require the slow revving electric motor to have a gear reduction drive system.Here is the supplier for evs and airplane ev drive systems.
http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:16 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,134 Posts
I think what needs to be done is just copy existing RC motor designs and scale them up to where they need to be. There are so many awesome designs out there it should be simple to scale up. Same thing with the ESC and batteries. Why not use the same designs with components that can handle the 150 volts that these motors need. If you keep the volts high you don't need as many amps.

That Yuneec company is from China... I bet they are thinking the same thing i am. I played with their motor. It looked like a standard RC style brushless. It cogged like a high KV motor. So cool!
Old Aug 03, 2009, 12:31 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
SG, thanks for the insight. Picy's where Great. I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe they have been looking up the Scratchbuilt Forum for inspiration..

B x
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Aug 03, 2009, 01:55 AM
Indiana
Joined Jul 2003
1,064 Posts
It was nice to see the well thought out products from Yuneec at Oshkosh. Motor, speed control, charger/balancer all working together. No surprise it's from a RC company.

Hopefully the hack from Florida is at the end of his 15 minutes of fame...
icrashrc is offline Find More Posts by icrashrc
Old Aug 03, 2009, 06:54 AM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
726 Posts
also

they also had electric backpack power units for paragliders.

Cheers!

Pyro
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:01 AM
Software always has bugs
United States, TX, Missouri City
Joined Nov 2008
261 Posts
Very Cool

NASA has done that too.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/RT/2003/...400berton.html
MTDV is offline Find More Posts by MTDV
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:29 AM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,134 Posts
Actually MTDV they are using battery packs instead of Fuel Cells. A lot more power/weight.

A couple of the geezers that were hanging out there at the tent kept talking about how it would be no good for long distance travel because of the recharge time. Who cares about the recharge time? I bet 90% of general aviation flight time is local flights of less than 2 hours. This fits into Yuneec's current capabilities. And with the emerging battery technologies i am sure that they will see even more performance increases.

I am seriously thinking about getting into the large brushless motor business. How hard would it be to scale up some nice cheap Towerpro style motors?
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:59 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
These aren't new but they are electric powered. Technically I guess they'd be called "sustainers" but I'm pretty sure both can takeoff under their own electric power.

Interesting.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Aug 03, 2009, 10:05 AM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
Recharge Faster

MIT just added a nano particle to the A123 battery chemistry that will create a 5 minute charge with a 3-phase charger.It also enables the battery to discharge at a more rapid pace without heating up.These batteries will drop in price in the next two years to around $250.00 a KW.You need about 10KW battery pack to fly long distance.If you build an ultrlight plane a 4 hour flight time would be possible.A pusher prop plane is the way to go.It is almost as silent as a glider.
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old Aug 03, 2009, 11:06 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
I've passed a small private airstrip on Pine Island just south of Corolla , NC on our way to vacation on the northern Outer Banks at Corova on the 4wd beach. After our 9 hour drive I'd fantasize about flying a motorglider/powered glider down and landing there. Problem is that if I could afford and Antares there wouldn't be any $$ left to buy a house in that neighborhood. The view and sights must be spectacular.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303