Nov 26, 2012, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fries
Ah yes, Paul Whiting! Cool little boat!
Indeed. Paul Whiting knew how to draw some interesting lines!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater
You know,
That brings up a fun idea.

Which Class is the fastest, using it's hull speed as handicap? I.E. which design is the most efficient at overcoming Hull speed.
Heavy boats with hulls designed for planing generally cannot exceed hull speed without planing. Light, narrow boats with hulls not designed for planing can easily exceed hull speed without planing.

Given that your design is 79" Long, and using the formula of Vhull= 1.34 x (Square root of LWL in feet) the hull speed of your design is (Rounding off) 3.5knots.

If you hit 9 knots, the boat is at (rounding off) 2.5x hull speed.
I wonder what my Ms can do. The other boat I have, An EC-12 probably isn't going to win this contest.

Someone please check my math
It would be a fun idea. Our boat is in fact not very light for it's size, more of a moderate displacement design, but it's very narrow. One of the main reasons we went for the higher relative weight was to avoid having to go with multiple rigs.
We've found our bow volume to be a big help when pushing hard downwind in a big breeze.
Nov 26, 2012, 09:56 PM
Quote:
The other boat I have, An EC-12 probably isn't going to win this contest.
I also have an EC-12 and I'm pretty sure it would dig a deep hole before it ever got to 9 kts!
Nov 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
NORTHLAND NEW ZEALAND
ever considerd a canting keel just for fun
Nov 26, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by D design
ever considerd a canting keel just for fun
No a key part of what we want with the design is simplicity along with speed. A canter would add a ton of complexity.
Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
I also have an EC-12 and I'm pretty sure it would dig a deep hole before it ever got to 9 kts!
Well,
in 9-10kts of wind-speed, my EC-12 bow does seem to bury!
How fast is the hull moving at that point?

I dont' know.

Challenge?
Nov 26, 2012, 10:22 PM
John,
Are these the boats that someone was sailing at lunch-time in Mystic, CT. this summer during the EC-12 Region 1s?
Nov 26, 2012, 10:28 PM
Thread OP
yes, I had hull #1 out this past summer with them. This was before the final version you see here. We since designed a scoop and extended them all out to a full 2 meters.
Nov 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
EC-12 bow does seem to bury!
not only that but the trough between the bow and stern wave would be significant approaching that speed!
Nov 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
One of the guys from my club tossed a "Pinter 2.5" (a Marblehead with the swing rig) in the drink at lunch. Too bad, should have had a dog-fight with it.

The boat looked great.
Looked like a great size for the ocean/Mystic type venues.
The M, in my opinion at 50" is just slightly small/light for ocean chop. Better suited for fresh water and smaller waves where then can scream.

At 2 Meters and a higher/fuller bow you are better suited to drive through the slop.

Good luck with them. I'll be watching for sure.

J-Class nationals at Mystic next summer. You should bring a fleet at lunch this time.
Nov 26, 2012, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
One of the guys from my club tossed a "Pinter 2.5" (a Marblehead with the swing rig) in the drink at lunch. Too bad, should have had a dog-fight with it.

The boat looked great.
Looked like a great size for the ocean/Mystic type venues.
The M, in my opinion at 50" is just slightly small/light for ocean chop. Better suited for fresh water and smaller waves where then can scream.

At 2 Meters and a higher/fuller bow you are better suited to drive through the slop.

Good luck with them. I'll be watching for sure.

J-Class nationals at Mystic next summer. You should bring a fleet at lunch this time.
Yeah I remember talking to him. For sure that would have been fun! We are for sure suited to the rough stuff, I think we'd have the edge there.
Sounds great for next summer! We can have 5-6 boats out on the line. How do we get our own start? Even if it's only for a few races.
Nov 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
not only that but the trough between the bow and stern wave would be significant approaching that speed!
Because of the depth of that trough, usually a 12 will broach before it has the opportunity to reach that speed.
But, if you're real calm on the sticks, believe or not a 12 will get up and surf. Just a flick of the rudder, and big time broach.

In time I'm going to GPS my models, that should be fun.
Nov 27, 2012, 12:24 PM
Can we throw in a Formula48 or a 2 Meter multihull for this - or are they still not a recognized "yacht" by the rest of the sailing world?
Nov 27, 2012, 12:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Can we throw in a Formula48 or a 2 Meter multihull for this - or are they still not a recognized "yacht" by the rest of the sailing world?
Sure why not. I think they're super cool!
Nov 27, 2012, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L.
Sure!
although Mutlihulls clearly are at an advantage in exceeding calculated hull-speed.

Quick Reply