New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by philski
Joined May 2009
82 Posts
Discussion
mcx flybars weak?

I had a mCX back in 2011 and flew it for the better part of a year before moving on to the mSR and I never broke a flybar.

I bought my son a new mCX two weeks ago for his birthday and he's snapped the CF rod on two flybars already! I realize he's not as quick to throttle down when he gets in trouble (although I keep repeating the mantra 'throttle down!') but it just seems weaker than the flybar I remember. Also had the ball link delaminate from the first flybar (easily fixed with a little CA). One of the crashes was from a pretty high altitude but the second was pretty benign.

Did they make the CF rod thinner/cheaper?

Are there any mods/aftermarket flybars which are more robust?

thanks

philip
philski is offline Find More Posts by philski
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2015, 04:02 AM
Find More Posts by spykez
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
1,161 Posts
I'd just stick to stock to be honest. Maybe it was just bad luck. Like you, when I was flying these (for me they were mCX2's), I never ever recalled busting a flybar.

If you want to try something - and I have no idea how it will affect flight characteristics - you can do that little trick with CA on the CF rod you may have very well done on your mSR main shaft. Just coat it with very thin CA.

I still do this with the CF main shafts of my tiny submicros, after they have taken a few spills. I am not sure if it's just placebo but I believe the CA seeps into the small developing cracks and makes them last a little longer.

Thing is, this is a flybar and not a main shaft we're talking about.
1) you're going to be adding mass,
2) the mass added may not be uniformly distributed.

/shrug.

Can't hurt to try, in the grand scheme of things, I guess.
spykez is online now Find More Posts by spykez
Old May 14, 2015, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by philski
Joined May 2009
82 Posts
Another one broke! CF rod snapped right at the root of the flybar The weights at the ends and the plastic mounting point/ball link are all intact.

Has anyone tried transplanting the hardware onto a new CF rod? I haven't tried yet but I imagine anything strong enough to soften CA will damage the plastics.

thanks,

-philip
philski is offline Find More Posts by philski
Last edited by philski; May 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM.