HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2002, 12:55 AM
Tigard, OR, US
Joined Feb 2001
229 Posts
Piccolo tail pinion.

This thing is enough to drive one mad. I just put too much CA on and siezed the motor (not the first time either). Its a cross of 1_ not putting enough and having the pinion fly off and losing the pinion or 2_ putting on too much and some gets down the shaft wrecking the motor. vent....

Anyone know if they make a metal pinion with a set screw? I see the metal pinion at helihobby, do you still CA that on or is it press fit? hmmm.. maybe the metal pinion with some JB Weld.

Anyone else have some good tips for this motor/pinion. Anyone have a motor burn out on them using the HF9 and 8 Cells? Im really thinking I need to upgrade.

Thanks.

-=ben
3dben is offline Find More Posts by 3dben
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2002, 08:08 AM
Ceredigion, Wales.
Joined Oct 2000
349 Posts
Tail motors now come with the metal pinion, with a corresponding increase in price of course. When the Pic first came out it was the bane of everybody's life. Presumably you have done as the handbook, pushed the [tiny !] shaft through a small piece of paper or plastic, to stop the "glue" going in the motor. Also use epoxy rather than CA and roughened the shaft. However a plastic pinion will always let go eventually. !!!
Arthur is offline Find More Posts by Arthur
Old Sep 11, 2002, 03:30 PM
Tigard, OR, US
Joined Feb 2001
229 Posts
Actually I bought my piccolo used, meaning I never went through the manual - it all seems pretty straight forward, however that Tip is definatly a good one. I should try that. However I think im going to break down and buy some metal pinions and the HF9 (hoping I dont have to replace the motor [Again!] 3rd times the charm ).

Is there any reason I should get the official motor as opposed to the B2 Wattage motors (which seem to work just fine).

Thanks for the feedback.

-=ben
3dben is offline Find More Posts by 3dben