HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
128 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking blades?

hey

i saw the blades in hk they are very cheap 1/4 the price of align blades and other brands,

I understand that their quality is not that good but i am sure that i will crash.
if i bought hk blades ill save about 100$ for the trex 700

So how bad are these blades?
what do u guys think?

he blades will be for the trex 700, 550 and 500.
Wa7sh is offline Find More Posts by Wa7sh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:45 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
200 Posts
I haven't heard anything good about them yet. Some guy at the flying field bought a whole bunch of them for a 450, and they were garbage - didn't track, way out of balance, etc.
For a 700 size machine I would not skimp on blades just for safety reasons.
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:31 PM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,880 Posts
i fly hobbyking blades on 450 and 600. both are fine. For the 600, i started out with fiberglass ones that are around $22 or so, smashed them up, then got carbon fiber for $25, got 2 pairs. First pair smashed, now on my second pair. check blog for blade pix if you want. I got nothing bad to say about them. tracking is fine.
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,560 Posts
Before you buy any blades from HK read the reviews. While I realize that some of the reviews may be skewed they do show any consistent problem with a particular blade.

If you have the experience to balance your blades differing weights aren't much of a problem although if you have to use a lot of tape to correct a large inconsistency in the weight of a pair it looks kind of crummy. Then again, if you're still crashing a lot they won't last too long anyway and it sure hurts less to demolish cheaper blades.

All blades can be adjusted to track properly via the blade grip linkage whether they're cheap or expensive. The exception would be thin, flexible plastic blades, which doesn't apply in your case.
Pa flyer is online now Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Oct 30, 2014, 06:52 PM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,880 Posts
i do make heavy arrivals often. I even switched to a softer suspension to cushion the landings on my big one...2 last CF blade pairs seemed to be fairly well balanced. no tape. Like i said, pair one is smashed, pair two active smasher, out. >end transmission<
Old Oct 31, 2014, 04:09 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,372 Posts
I sold a helicopter to a friend. He was working on learning 3D, so I included a nice set of Rotortech blades. He later told me the helicopter was bogging down. That was strange, wasn't setup as a powerhouse but had decent 3D power. I came over to look at it, and he had put some Hobbyking blades on it. He didn't want to crash with good blades. I found the Hobbyking blades where about 3 times the weight. Bogging disappeared with the good ones. With the junk blades it needed a tooth smaller pinion. It was nice and stable with the heavy blades on it. He stayed with them until he got better.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Oct 31, 2014, 08:04 AM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,880 Posts
heh, funny...my hobbyking CF blades are pretty light fiberglass ones i had before were a little heavier, but nothing spectacular like you're saying.