Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:57 AM
Per aspera ad astra
Joined Feb 2014
45 Posts
Rant
A new propeller each flight ? :-)

Ok,
promise to whine just a little :-)

New pilot wannabe here, new quad, my first.

Back from second 10 minute flight since I bought it.

The quad flies well but it flies where HE wants :-)

No huge problems nor disasters but I broke one propeller the first time and a second one on this second flight.

Should I stock up or will it get better ? :-)

As of now I feel I'll never make it, but I'm a stubborn guy and will keep on trying.

The hardest part is keeping the quad roughly at the height I want. I'd like it to fly at my eye level and gently try out manouvering on the roll, pitch and yaw axis. Sometimes I get it plus or minus a few feet, but a few times the quad has shot up to 30 yards before I could act on getting it back safely.

Second problem is the yaw while you adjust the throttle. Currently I have no neck strap and therefore keep the radio with my fingers and use the sticks with my thumb and because of poor engineering of human hands ;-) the hinge makes the tumb go in arcs not straight lines !!!

Well ok I vented off a little bit. Expecting solidarity and encouragament ! :-)

You all take care
rjalex is offline Find More Posts by rjalex
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Sep 2013
21 Posts
It gets better.

I went through a lot of props during my first 6 months, but part of my problem was that I kept buying "cheap" props.
Since you are going to go through several props during your "learning to crawl" stage, I would recommend that you buy inexpensive props, but good quality props.

I buy APC props from Annie at APCprop.com she is very quick with shipping and has great customer service. (Incidentally, I tried my Local Hobby Shop first, but they don't carry pusher props, and told me there wasn't any demand for them, so I left their store).

I like the "multirotor" (MR) style props, they seem to be less effected by wind than the SlowFly style props, although the SlowFly props may provide a bit more power. The MR props are $2.36 each.
I just bought 6 and the shipping & handling was $6. Not bad.

One more suggestion, you wrote, " I'd like it to fly at my eye level". If you fly a little higher, maybe 20 feet high, you have more time to recover from "mistakes" if something goes wrong. At eye-level you don't have much room (altitude) for error before you strike the ground. You also want to fly above something soft, like grass, tall grass, although it will get caught in the props if you crash with the power on.

Don't get discourage. The fun is in the journey.
Eddy Current is offline Find More Posts by Eddy Current
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:36 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,826 Posts
Get a neck strap, definately, and maybe try to pilot by pinching, instead of "thumbs", this make you way more accurate, also you don't have to carry the radio with the hands.

And yeah, stock propellers, I have about 330 flights with multicopters now, and I broke between 40 and 50 propellers, and I'm not the kind to crash very often to be honest...
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:38 PM
Don't be popular, be right.
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
865 Posts
It's part of the fun. You'll break many props before you really get the hang of it. Don't let it get you down and just keep flying. There is no substitute for stick time.
bigddybn is offline Find More Posts by bigddybn
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:39 PM
Joined Apr 2013
354 Posts
I break props every time i go out to fly. No big deal.

Flew two lipos today, broke 2 props.
thinc2 is offline Find More Posts by thinc2
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2014
57 Posts
i am newbie to and already within month broke ~12 props i think it is needed to get fit
infinita is offline Find More Posts by infinita
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:17 PM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
I'm feel your pain rjalex, and great questions too. I've been learning to fly with those mini and micro quads they are a lot of fun to fly and I actually got very confident with them early on and now feel ready for the next stage.

Good to here the positive feed back from the community here. I just hope I can afford it all.

Thank all you guys and ladies for your encouragement and patience , I'll (we) will need it.

p.s. You'll be hearing from me soon...I got a lot of questions.
islandfly is offline Find More Posts by islandfly
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:20 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,826 Posts
oh, and fly over grass.
Really.
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Mar 02, 2014, 03:17 PM
Canada, MB, Woodlands
Joined Oct 2012
79 Posts
I've been flying multirotors for two years now. I've got a hex and a quad... I buy my props in bulk and keep a few balanced ones handy in my kit. I also make sure that I have a spare arm or two in reserve as well
jwt873 is offline Find More Posts by jwt873
Old Mar 02, 2014, 03:28 PM
Per aspera ad astra
Joined Feb 2014
45 Posts
Hey your find notes took away all of the pain ;-)

Yes I am flying on a soft grass meadow.

So far I have never crashed because of vertical misjudgment, but rather because of not landing vertically, usually having a drift in the roll axis, mostly rightwards.

The few times in which I had an uncomfortable negative vertical speed I have always reacted with the throttle in a way which avoided crashing (thanks to the weight/power ratio of my small quad and maybe a surface effect when the copter nears ground).

Maybe some of my pilot instinct (I was a sailplane pilot with around 200 hours fliight) is helping me a little :-)

I bring a small wooden plank as a take-off pad, since on my first flights on grass the props hit the stalks before liftoff.

Today the grass was very wet because of prior rain and the motors, ESCs and spars where sprayed. I wonder if there are tricks to "weatherproof" the sensitive parts.

Unfortunately the good advice on US retailers is not good for me because of the shipping costs.

You all take care !!!
rjalex is offline Find More Posts by rjalex