SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
Question
Do you repair your helis?

I have a Syma 111g and really enjoy it as my first copter even though it is considered to be a "toy". I have been super careful with only the slightest of mishaps until . . . I was flying it in my garage when the cars were outside. It was a great open space and I had much more room than inside the house. The garage door was open and I flew it out into the sun light. Stupid move. As soon as it was in the sun it abruptly stopped and fell 7 feet unto the asphalt. It still flew but would not go forward or backwards. I took it apart and found that the end of the rear motor had dislodged from the motor body. I found a couple replacement motors priced a $10 to $11 including shipping. Is it worth repairing considering a replacement of the heli cost $20 and change.

Just wondering what you guys do in such a situation. Thanks for any advice.
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:05 AM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
I repair the Blade series and the Trex series, but it can get rather expensive depending upon what breaks.
lawlist is offline Find More Posts by lawlist
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:28 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Infra red control system and sunlight don't mix very well.

Buy the rear motor and fix it. The accomplishment of fixing your own helicopter is worth it. The experience of ordering parts, waiting for the parts to arrive, then replacing the faulty part is a valuable learning exercise.
---

The motor endcap came off and you can not put it back together again without destroying the commutator brushes. I had that happen too - fixing the motor was for me hopeless as I could hardly see the miniature brushes on a very small tail motor.. I tried to fix the motor and failed, though there wasn't much hope anyway. At least there was a nice magnet as a consolation prize.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:26 AM
The Helinator. "AL BE FLYING"
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereathome View Post
I have a Syma 111g and really enjoy it as my first copter even though it is considered to be a "toy". I have been super careful with only the slightest of mishaps until . . . I was flying it in my garage when the cars were outside. It was a great open space and I had much more room than inside the house. The garage door was open and I flew it out into the sun light. Stupid move. As soon as it was in the sun it abruptly stopped and fell 7 feet unto the asphalt. It still flew but would not go forward or backwards. I took it apart and found that the end of the rear motor had dislodged from the motor body. I found a couple replacement motors priced a $10 to $11 including shipping. Is it worth repairing considering a replacement of the heli cost $20 and change.

Just wondering what you guys do in such a situation. Thanks for any advice.
Get a Blade MCX2 and that is the next logical step to 4ch flight and being able to have a fari amount of fun outdoors as long as the wind isn't crazy. I've been through the ringer of going from my Syma107 to fixed pitch Xieda 9958s and v911s....the MCX2 is the best to learn your orientation on - and it VERY moddable....FUn! FuN! fUn!!!!!!

I used to think co-ax was WAY to beginner and that I needed a fixed pitch to go to the next step.....The MCX2 is the MOST logical step forward. Perfect for teaching you orientation that is a step below 3D flight

Hope this helps!
sroc3 is offline Find More Posts by sroc3
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Get something worth fixing, those toys are a little bit of fun, but as soon as go up to something nicer you'll wonder why you wasted your time on the toys for so long.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:44 AM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
I love my Blade MCX2, which is my relaxation bird for indoor flight -- it has blinking red and green lights. I was never able to fly it outdoors, however, due to the slight breeze.
lawlist is offline Find More Posts by lawlist
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
There's a large contingent of people who repair Symas in the coaxial forum. I think they do it as a hobby in itself. There's not much practical incentive to do so. Finding parts, paying for shipping and waiting for them to arrive, seems like a lot of bother for a $25 toy. Plus, those helis weren't really made to be repaired, so disassembly can be very involved. But, like Ribble says, it's part of the experience. Anyway, those are the people to talk to.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:15 PM
Somewhere in central Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2007
875 Posts
I've got an old Esky Honey Bee King II, and three entire spare parts helis to keep it flying, along with a stash of spare parts like belts and stuff. So yeah, I repair it all of the time. Fortunately as I have gotten better at flying it, repairs are coming fewer and further between.

Got a 120SR I've yet to have to repair, except for one new tail boom and motor. An MCX2 that has not needed repairs as of yet.

cbxer55 is offline Find More Posts by cbxer55
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
90 Posts
Wow! This is great. Thanks for all the info.
hereathome is offline Find More Posts by hereathome
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,261 Posts
Also, considering the price of the WLToys v911 and Xieda copters, the Symas (we have several and I love them) are overpriced these days. $19.95 for an IR 3ch? c'mon now.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,176 Posts
I tried to repair the S107, but parts were hard to get and my success rate was low. A motor ought to be easier; I had trouble fixing the coaxial rotor shaft. I tossed the Syma and bought a Blade MSR, which I definitely had to repair. I got a second so one would be flying while I waited for parts for the other. Then I jumped to Walkera CP helis. No way to learn without crashing. I now have 3 Genius CPs so that I can keep two flying while I wait on parts for the third. And a V120D02, V120D03 and V120D02S, so that I can have at least one 120 flying while I wait on parts for the others. Once you jump to collective pitch, you can't even fly without adjusting linkages to level the swash and adjust pitch, but that's half the fun anyway!

I think I have more $ invested in parts than in helicopters, but it seems the part that breaks is always the one I didn't think I'd have to pre-order. Present list - Three Genius CPs and one V120D02 flying, waiting on a tail motor for the V120D03 and a tail slider bearing for the V120D02S. I have a V400D02 waiting on the bookshelf until I quit crashing the 120s so often. I've flown it three times (aside from hovering practice) and spent weeks putting it back together every time. I have an EXI 450 I've been afraid to do more than hover. After I can keep the V400D02 in the air, I'll give the EXI a try.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:24 AM
The Helinator. "AL BE FLYING"
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
I would consider getting a chopper that is NOT infrared controlled. This way you can do both indoor and outdoor flight

If you can get a programmable controller......that would be the best. Then you can bind to your hearts content
sroc3 is offline Find More Posts by sroc3
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, CA, Escondido
Joined Dec 2004
38 Posts
"Do you repair your helis?"

Well... I just got into this "hobby" a few weeks ago.

So far I've disassembled, repainted a NE Bravo III, completely disassembled/reassembled my EF Sabre (balanced both the main blades and flybar, checked the tracking, and leveled the swashplate. The Sabre now spins up close to lift off with zero vibration.

I just received (2) CX3's for parts (for a scale Blue Thunder build) off Ebay, ordered both Mike Manrow's AND Darths BT bodies (Darth's is for a future 450 build).

I'm learning about TX's, RXs, ESC's, 3 in 1's, 4 in 1's, CP, FP, and everything else related to flying RC heli's (brother can you spare a Fenestron? ).

So far learning about the amount of care and precision that goes into the building and tuning of my heli's has been VERY rewarding.. Hopefully learning to fly them will be equally if not more fun!
chickenhawk is offline Find More Posts by chickenhawk