HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
We had the same Issue with Deviation on two different transmitters: when you run low on battery power, the settings will not be saved correctly and the system will corrupt some files. Fix: try to find the battery level where the file system goes bad and add an alarm one Volt before this barrier.
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,063 Posts
i suggest doing as i do and make a backup folder on your pc of the whole file system in the tx..that way if anything goes wrong you can simply plug the tx into your pc and restore the working file system...very simple to do..
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
i suggest doing as i do and make a backup folder on your pc of the whole file system in the tx..that way if anything goes wrong you can simply plug the tx into your pc and restore the working file system...very simple to do..
I agree that a Backup is always a good Idea and of course you can restore your Filesystem easyly

But if the described Issue happens to you out in the Field, you won't be able to turn on your corrupted Transmitter and fly your RC even if you have new Batteries.

I believe, that this is an Issue which can be solved by adding an early alarm and by programming the Firmware not to save anything when the Battery runs below a certain Voltage.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gektor View Post
I agree that a Backup is always a good Idea and of course you can restore your Filesystem easyly

But if the described Issue happens to you out in the Field, you won't be able to turn on your corrupted Transmitter and fly your RC even if you have new Batteries.

I believe, that this is an Issue which can be solved by adding an early alarm and by programming the Firmware not to save anything when the Battery runs below a certain Voltage.
That is a good suggestion. Because we use a filesystem, we can't incrementally update the file in a safe way. this means that if the voltage is not enough for programming the flash, you get the behavior you are seeing now.

I am not sure what an appropriate voltage is. Maybe around 4V for the Devo8?
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
@PB: Should we try to reproduce this?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
@PB: Should we try to reproduce this?
The best way to reproduce will likely be to hook up a variable power supply, and find a voltage at which itwill not successfully write. Then we can add ~0.25-0.5V, and call that the safe voltage.

I can't do that right now, so if someone wants to experiment to find a voltage that corrupts the filesystem and another that doesn't, I can code in the rules
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
2,063 Posts
Quote:

good point...i didn't think of it that way cause i fly at home due to haveing plenty of room, and if i do go to the nearist flying field its just 5 minutes away up the hill behind my house...guess i am lucky i don't have to drive long distances to fly..
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Feb 2010
99 Posts
I had this problem and the voltage was definitely below 4 V... . More around 3.5... .

Tomorrow I can test, at which voltage the write process fails... .
kcornels is offline Find More Posts by kcornels
Last edited by kcornels; Oct 13, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,613 Posts
I have been testing my Devo 6.

I tried it on a 4 ch heli using the 4ch template, using a 2401 TX setting. Everything works great.

I'm now testing it on a 6 ch FBL heli. I'm using the 6 ch template, with a 2801TX setting. Everything works except the tail gyro.
The rudder stick works fine, but when I swing the nose around, by hand, I only get about a 1mm throw on the tail servo.
When I do the same thing with the heli bound to my 2801 TX I get about 5 mm throws, and the gyro holds the tail as it should.
I'm using the default setting for the tail with the 6 ch template, but I also tried increasing some of the settings. It didn't help.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
2,063 Posts
i think i had a similiar problem when setting up my HM1A and i think i had to adjust the gyro gain....but i can't remember exactly how i did it...have you tried going to the Deviation site and looking for a model file to download and try? might have one already set up that will work...i remember i posted a file for the hm1a which might work for your needs...just have to change the stick mode cause i fly the retarded way...lol throttle and rudder on the right stick..
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,613 Posts
I'm assuming that the Gyro is controlled from the "4-RUD Expo & DR " screen.
I don't see anywhere else where there is a Gyro control.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I'm now testing it on a 6 ch FBL heli. I'm using the 6 ch template, with a 2801TX setting. Everything works except the tail gyro.
The rudder stick works fine, but when I swing the nose around, by hand, I only get about a 1mm throw on the tail servo.
When I do the same thing with the heli bound to my 2801 TX I get about 5 mm throws, and the gyro holds the tail as it should.
I'm using the default setting for the tail with the 6 ch template, but I also tried increasing some of the settings. It didn't help.
I believe you have to create an output for gyro, the template doesn't include one. It should be on channel 5. Just set up either a fixed value or a min/max. Although I don't know how your helicopter is set up. What helicopter is it?
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
<Marty>
Joined Jul 2011
2,063 Posts
yes you have to create it ...i used min/max and selected the mix switch to change between the gyro % values...i believe your rite its on ch5 on most but i think it was on ch7 for some of my newer devo walkera models...
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
United States, ND, Bismarck
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
ya on 6ch it is on channel 5 and on 8ch it is on channel 7.
flint723 is online now Find More Posts by flint723
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,613 Posts
I'm using it on a walkera 4F200 with a 2618V RX.I normally use a 2801 TX to control it.

I'm looking at the 5-GEAR page now.
At the top do I select "Simple"?
Src=GEAR?
Curve=Min/Max?
Scale=(Gyro level)?

If I use source = GEAR, how does that connect with my tail servo?