HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
I'm glad you took the feedback as a positive, it was meant that way. your clutch is ingenious, simple, but very effective, I tip my hat to ya mate

Most people wont give feedback on here mate, not negative anyway as they may feel like, saying that they struggled could make them look like a d**k, but I don't care about all that, it works and it works well, but I would make it more idiot proof (for people like me ) than it is now!

EDIT: lots of edits as I'm talking through many a red wine here Bob lol

Just a note, but why do you think you've been asked to shoot a video! Do you think it might be because people aint sure about the instructions but don't want to say so for the sake of looking like an idiot! haha
RotaryC is offline Find More Posts by RotaryC
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 12, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryC View Post
I'm glad you took the feedback as a positive, it was meant that way. your clutch is ingenious, simple, but very effective, I tip my hat to ya mate

Most people wont give feedback on here mate, saying that they struggled could make the look like a d**k, but I don't care about all that, it works and it works well, but I would make it more idiot proof (for people like me :P ) than it is now!

EDIT: lots of edits as I'm talking through many a red wine here Bob lol
Some red wine sounds good, wonder if there is any in the ref., as I did a batch of clutches today and I'm still up tight,, but having to get up at 3AM to drive my wife's sister to the airport didn't help any either.. Had orders to get out so had no choice but to make up a batch..

Now have to go make a cake for wife to take to daughters baby shower on Sunday..

OH I have asked that anyone that has a problem just email me at the slipperclutch@mi.rr.com email.. I also have just about free phone calling so calling to help someone isn't a problem either..

My biggest problem has always been being out of town for weeks at a time.. And not being here to fill the orders as they come in.. But I'm thinking of a way to solve this also..

It's not that doing a video isn't a VERY GOOD IDEA as it is and I have tried...it's just that every time I try,,,, it sucks so don't want anyone to see it....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Last edited by livonia bob; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
I can appreciate this aint your main business Bob, but your one of the reasons I love this hobby so much, you created a solution to a problem and shared it with others at no gain to yourself, you need to cover your own costs obviously and for what you save all us WK ultra micro flyers on stripped gears, you could charge double mate, I'd be happy to pay it (if the instructions were idiot proof!!!)... It doesn't just save on gears, it saves on shipping costs for the new gears, and having to fit them and waiting for delivery!
You should come up with a few more innovations mate! Maybe teach WK a trick or two on durable micro's!

Saying that, I love my v120!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:20 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
I can appreciate this aint your main business Bob, but your one of the reasons I love this hobby so much, you created a solution to a problem and shared it with others at no gain to yourself, you need to cover your own costs obviously and for what you save all us WK ultra micro flyers on stripped gears, you could charge double mate, I'd be happy to pay it (if the instructions were idiot proof!!!)... It doesn't just save on gears, it saves on shipping costs for the new gears, and having to fit them and waiting for delivery!
You should come up with a few more innovations mate! Maybe teach WK a trick or two on durable micro's!

Saying that, I love my v120!
I have idea's just no way to make them.. The slipper clutch was something that I either had the tools to make them or bought them with out a major investment.. My other idea's need a CNC machine and a plastic injection molding machine. Way more than I'm willing to spend at my age....
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Some red wine sounds good, wonder if there is any in the ref., as I did a batch of clutches today and I'm still up tight,, but having to get up at 3AM to drive my wife's sister to the airport didn't help any either.. Had orders to get out so had no choice but to make up a batch..

Now have to go make a cake for wife to take to daughters baby shower on Sunday..

OH I have asked that anyone that has a problem just email me at the slipperclutch@mi.rr.com email.. I also have just about free phone calling so calling to help someone isn't a problem either..

My biggest problem has always been being out of town for weeks at a time.. And not being here to fill the orders as they come in.. But I'm thinking of a way to solve this also..

It's not that doing a video isn't a VERY GOOD IDEA as it is and I have tried...it's just that every time I try,,,, it sucks so don't want anyone to see it....
Thing is with the Video, it will be the only one with your clutch in it, so it will be great regardless, as long as it puts across how to sort it from start to finish and if it explains everything with no jargon, and cuts out any drivel, noobs would welcome it Bob, I know I would have, bit late for me though, I had to spend 2 hours figuring it out pmsl

Sure you've seen Finless bobs vids mate, just do something like that!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amartolos
I ve just installed the benmlee's clutch, have you used the optional gear shim behind tail shaft??I ve used mine but i think b-c gears are very tight now.I have no smooth spinning when i rotate the tail rotor with my hand>Clutch is not too tight.
You will never get rid of the tail drift with the D02S in reverse inverted. In fact i have a hard time keeping it from drifting and then it will just suddenly spin out in the opposite direction. Especially if you get moving too fast. That is what caused the crash on my D05 in the video above actually. Playing around too much

Anyway, i used the white rubber tensioner O ring with the BenMLee/Microline hobbies clutch. Turn it till the tail is tight enough that hand spinning the tail will also spin the main rotor. The tension should be good there. This clutch does not have as much an issue with oil as bob's clutch can. But if it slips on you, it also will not clutch back again as quickly as bob's clutch either. I am currently flying without any slipper clutch and my tail in reverse / reverse inverted still acts the same. Just FYI. My D05 does it too and they are both using the same RX/Gyros unit.

I still have the bearing shim installed, even though i have no clutch installed right now. The gear mesh is tighter than normal. But the tail is still able to spin pretty freely on mine. So maybe your bearing is not set in all the way or the tail boom is not installed in the frame correctly? If you've checked all of that and still are not happy, you can remove the shim and use the clutch without it. It's not actually necessary. With all the reverse flight you do, you'll need to be careful because that shaft will bend. I never bent, but broke mine. So either get a spare shaft or be ready to switch it out later.

Quote:
Thing is with the Video, it will be the only one with your clutch in it, so it will be great regardless, as long as it puts across how to sort it from start to finish and if it explains everything with no jargon, and cuts out any drivel, noobs would welcome it Bob, I know I would have, bit late for me though, I had to spend 2 hours figuring it out pmsl

Bob is a busy guy I've been trying to find the time to do it myself. I've got to get myself one of those cool flexible 3 leg camera stands. That would probably help. Something like that.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
I have idea's just no way to make them.. The slipper clutch was something that I either had the tools to make them or bought them with out a major investment.. My other idea's need a CNC machine and a plastic injection molding machine. Way more than I'm willing to spend at my age....
Outsource mate, find a local firm with the tooling you need and, if your looking to take it commercial, offer them half the profits for like 24 months or something, outsource everything but only pay on results Bob! lol

If it works you both benefit, they benefit from your ideas and increased production volumes and you benefit from their production operation. Either way if you hook up with a firm on a results based pay structure, you have a good chance of making it happen with minimal investment!

EDIT: Sorry Bob, I'm in waffle mode haha Ignore me mate!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:

I just made some changes in the instructions check it out..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post21562251
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts

So, the D02S flew GREAT with the new 130X blades. The tail, even though it's bo-rotor shaped because 130X tail blades are too fat. The tail held fine and flew great. The gyros might need to be turned down a bit to get rid of servo oscillations or "wobbles" on the cyclic during flight. I would even say turning down the DR and adding more Expo might be some things users might consider. I'm still tuning mine and trying different things. Those kind of settings are more of a preference so you guys will need to tune it how you like. But I HIGHLY recommend these blades. It was VERY windy today, which was a good test for the over all performance of the blades. The good news is they dramatically increase performance of the heli. The flip and roll rate will nearly be doubled. The flight times will likely be increased and you can likely lower your throttle some, maintain performance and get even more flight time, possibly. Especially if all you do is "normal" flight. They make the heli feel so light.

The only problem for me was that the wind with the added responsiveness and over all added speed of how the heli changes direction and does not really bog at all. I was having a hard time controlling the heli. The added performance excited me and i almost immediately piled it into the ground! lol. The blades didn't take any damage and the heli is back up and ready to fly again! So here is a video of my flight today with the V120D02S with a crash, then 2 flights with the V120D05CS08 and a crash with that one too at the end i think. But once i flew the D02S and crashed it, it allowed me to make some changes which made the D05 fly smoother for me. But the gyros had to be turned down.

V120D02S & 05CS - Using 130X blades with crashes! (10 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Bob is a busy guy I've been trying to find the time to do it myself. I've got to get myself one of those cool flexible 3 leg camera stands. That would probably help. Something like that.
I'm sure he is mate I have stuff like that for a hobby (photography), find it hard allocating my time lol Wish I had more of it (time I mean) loving this hobby though Also wish I could fly like some of you guys lol

What batteries were you using there IntegrityHndywrk, 10 mins! cool
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:44 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Outsource mate, find a local firm with the tooling you need and, if your looking to take it commercial, offer them half the profits for like 24 months or something, outsource everything but only pay on results Bob! lol

If it works you both benefit, they benefit from your ideas and increased production volumes and you benefit from their production operation. Either way if you hook up with a firm on a results based pay structure, you have a good chance of making it happen with minimal investment!

EDIT: Sorry Bob, I'm in waffle mode haha Ignore me mate!

Hey,,, I'm suppose to be retired and enjoying life.. Like flying my models, riding my motor cycles, driving my boats.. Can't even tell you last time I was able to fly...or ride or drive..
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Hey,,, I'm suppose to be retired and enjoying life.. Like flying my models, riding my motor cycles, driving my boats.. Can't even tell you last time I was able to fly...or ride or drive..
Bob, please accept my apologies Didn't mean to offend, I apologise

With you being so active and creating things like the clutch, I just assumed that you were younger (please don't take that the wrong way)... Your obviously younger at heart though or you wouldn't be doing what your doing ... I'm 40 so I can't talk!
Last edited by RotaryC; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:51 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,258 Posts
Quote:
I'm sure he is mate I have stuff like that for a hobby (photography), find it hard allocating my time lol Wish I had more of it (time I mean) loving this hobby though Also wish I could fly like some of you guys lol

What batteries were you using there IntegrityHndywrk, 10 mins! cool
Uhm. There is 3 flights in there. So it's definitely not 10 minutes each pack! That would be, unlikely. But right now i think you've had enough to drink.. You want to buy some of my batteries??
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Bob, please accept my apologies Didn't mean to offend, I apologise
No need to apologize,,, my biggest problem is I'm lazy...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:57 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Sep 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Uhm. There is 3 flights in there. So it's definitely not 10 minutes each pack! That would be, unlikely. But right now i think you've had enough to drink.. You want to buy some of my batteries??
Yeah mate this red wine is a killer......... but no..... thank you haha!

Quote:
No need to apologize,,, my biggest problem is I'm lazy...
Me and you both Bob