Thanks Guys
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:22 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Just picked one of these up used yesterday. Beautiful plane.

I'm trying to run on a 6ch tx/rx. After lowering my throttle trim all the way down I got the esc tp arm. Too bad the blade were wack and vibrated like crazy. I'm having a problem with the retracts not working. Any tips? I have the bec in the bind port, throttle in throttle, a/e/r in their respective places, gear in gear, and flaps on aux 1. Help! Running a dx6i w/ar600

Thanks!
Daniel
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:36 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
My choice of color

BM

same color as this only thing different is i want the helmet colors flip floped
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Srt8,

on spektrums i wouldnt put bec in bind port, i know they fixed the problem they had with the issue on CC bec however it just a precaution i often take. Y it to any existing channel is fine. As for the prop vibrating, you need to balance the blades and plate then add the spinner and balance as a whole unit. As for the retracts if they are v1 cant help you I ditched em for that reason and many others.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:41 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
BM

Ok, got it. When I first painted mine...I painted his flight suit that same color...it looks good. Then I decided to change it to the classic green color so the wooden floor in the cockpit would show up better and add some contrast

Good choice
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Ok, got it. When I first painted mine...I painted his flight suit that same color...it looks good. Then I decided to change it to the classic green color so the wooden floor in the cockpit would show up better and add some contrast

Good choice
Is it possible in your great skills to make the sunglasses lenses have that Iridium look, like this
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
I was exactly looking at trying that my self...Possibly? with the chrome paint....but not sure how good it will look yet?

Maybe some small custom cut chrome monokote?...just an Idea?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Oct 08, 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Sounds good! I know you'll work something out.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
BM

Send me the link to where you found this guy and picture at?

never mind...found it....google is a good thing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:25 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...your-rc-plane/

Edit: cool, ya took me a bit to find it again.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:57 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Guys! Check your back plates for cracks before every flight to be safe. If you have even a minor prop strike to the ground check it for sure before the next flight.

I have a story to tell. Last week I got VERY lucky with my 1700mm Mustang. I had flown it twice on Sun. without any problems. It was the second & third flights after I had done the prop mod.

The next day I took it out to fly again. Here's where I got lucky! I always have the prop removed for transport. I had put the wings on & the prop was next. I grabbed it & slid it on the prop shaft. Put the washer & nut on & tightened it up. Then I grabbed the spinner. I rotated the prop to line my marks up I have on the back plate & spinner for a perfect balance. While I was rotating the prop I saw a line on the edge of the back plate. I thought humm? I didn't put that line/mark on there. So I looked real close. Yep, you guessed it. It was a crack in the back plate that ran from the side through the under neath one of the blades but not all the way to the center. I was close though.

Now I had quite a few flights on this back plate before the prop mod. There was NO crack in it a few days before when I did the back plate. What happened I'm sure is when I did the prop mod I OVER TIGHTENED the screws & cracked the back plate. The plastic they use is very brittle. All's it takes is one tiny little crack & it's ruined.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
thanks for the info CH I often inspect mine every so often, bit sometimes those lil cracks can be missed. One of mine crack on the hexagon portion that keeps it in place on the shaft adapter, it was probably from a prop strike, non the less lucky I saw it when I was balancing. I always keep a couple back plates and spinners in the closet just incase.

Is there a way you can keep from having to constantly removing your prop from the plane? Constantly lossening and retightening may make it more susceptible to cracking and over tightening.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:30 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Srt8,

on spektrums i wouldnt put bec in bind port, i know they fixed the problem they had with the issue on CC bec however it just a precaution i often take. Y it to any existing channel is fine. As for the prop vibrating, you need to balance the blades and plate then add the spinner and balance as a whole unit. As for the retracts if they are v1 cant help you I ditched em for that reason and many others.
It's got the V2 retracts thankfully.
Thanks for the tip on the BEC Y harness.
As for balancing the blades, should I just take them off and weight them, then add/remove until they all weight the same, and balance the spinner separately? Or keep the back plate on and put it on my balancer?
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:13 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible in your great skills to make the sunglasses lenses have that Iridium look, like this
A chrome paint on the ack side of clear would be good. Hard to do though.
nageotte is online now Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,760 Posts
Srt8,

1st I don't know why we can't quote your posts as the icon isn't accessible.

ne how weight blades and install/screw like weighted blade to opposite of each other on the backplate. Do not add or remove weight from the blades themselves. Once blades are secured and installed on plate balance on a balancer and add weight with tape, ca, glue, etc. to the back side of the plate in the horizontal rim portion. Add spinner and rebalance. Mark spinner and backplate so you know where to line the spinner up to the backplate anytime it is removed.