HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:17 AM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Discussion
TW-747-I Maiden Crash

Hi,

A couple of months ago I bought myself a TW-747-I to learn on.
Unfortunately, on its maiden flight it took off before it had enough speed and nose dived into the ground before cartwheeling.

The motor and stick mount were shoved inside the fuselage, crushing the cowl with the propeller.
The cowl hat to be cut off and now looks a mess but the motor survived. The stick mount had to be pulled out the fuselage and glued back in.

Last week whilst glueing the stick mount back in, I noticed the supplied foam glue expanded whilst drying and pushed the mount at a slight angle.

Will this effect the thrust line and effect the control of the plane and what
could anyone suggest?
Also, does anyone have any pictures of the motor and mount stick attached at the right angles?

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Alex.

TW-747-I Maiden Flight Crash (0 min 24 sec)
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Last edited by abroadhurst94; Sep 04, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 04:21 PM
Registered User
Retired Relic's Avatar
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
Hi Alex
Gr8 video.......My last one happened so fast u couldn't have filmed it. LOL
and I've beenflying this little gem or the rebuilt versions of it for a couple of years now.
you can buy a new fuse for $25 it comes with new cowl motor block and control links already installed. looking at mine there is almost no offset it looks pretty square to me.
Any way good luck....
retired relic
Retired Relic is offline Find More Posts by Retired Relic
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2011, 06:29 PM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Relic View Post
Hi Alex
Gr8 video.......My last one happened so fast u couldn't have filmed it. LOL
and I've beenflying this little gem or the rebuilt versions of it for a couple of years now.
you can buy a new fuse for $25 it comes with new cowl motor block and control links already installed. looking at mine there is almost no offset it looks pretty square to me.
Any way good luck....
retired relic
Hey RR, thanks for the reply.

Because I'm in the UK I can't find replacement parts for it locally, could you possibly give me the link for where I could buy it.
The motor stick in mine has glued in at a slight left/down angle.

Thanks, Alex.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Last edited by abroadhurst94; Sep 04, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2011, 01:37 PM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Bump
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2006
110 Posts
The motor stick is correct.. It's adding DOWN and right thrust. That is good....When you add a strong brushless motor to this plane you will see the plane fly great like that...

I met someone who loves my plane and wants one.. Does anyone know the best place to get another one of these ? I got this one at Amazon a few years back.. not sure IF they are still sold there.. Banana was charing so much for handling and shipping it inflated the total cost beyond reason..99 bucks and 10 bucks shipping is a fair price to pay for this plane because mine needed to be upgraded to a good brushless and lipo..That cost almost as much as the plane did in the first place..good luck.
Chief Redelk is offline Find More Posts by Chief Redelk
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Redelk View Post
The motor stick is correct.. It's adding DOWN and right thrust. That is good....When you add a strong brushless motor to this plane you will see the plane fly great like that...

I met someone who loves my plane and wants one.. Does anyone know the best place to get another one of these ? I got this one at Amazon a few years back.. not sure IF they are still sold there.. Banana was charing so much for handling and shipping it inflated the total cost beyond reason..99 bucks and 10 bucks shipping is a fair price to pay for this plane because mine needed to be upgraded to a good brushless and lipo..That cost almost as much as the plane did in the first place..good luck.

Hi Chief,

Thanks for your response.

From what I have seen on other threads around here, I want to upgrade mine to a brushless setup. Do you have any suggestions on a motor?
I may not upgrade for a while though as I am starting my first scratch build, a DBlum Cessna 182.

I bought my TW-747 as an RTF from eBay. It was roughly 42 ($66) for the item and 30 ($47) for the shipping to the United Kingdom from Hong Kong. They have an ARF version for roughly 23 ($36) plus 25 ($39) shipping.
A quick search for "rc cessna 182" will bring it up.
The seller "revolutionshop", also has a website www.r2hobbies.com.

Hope this helps,
Alex.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Lanyu Cessna TW-747 unboxed, assembled failed

i took video of unboxing, and assembly and failed flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_rCNZLtII

skip to the end to see exactly what was happening.
everything seized hard right and up. could not get it free smh! there sending me new "crystals" to see if that will fix the problem! i hope so. this thing looks extremely cool to fly!
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
i took video of unboxing, and assembly and failed flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_rCNZLtII

skip to the end to see exactly what was happening.
everything seized hard right and up. could not get it free smh! there sending me new "crystals" to see if that will fix the problem! i hope so. this thing looks extremely cool to fly!
Neoneo,

First of all, welcome to RCG.

Great video of the assembly, and I'm sorry to hear about your failed flight, at least it wasn't in the air when that happened.

A few things about points you made in your video;
  • Although it says it's RTF, mine came exactly the same way but was easy enough to put together once I got my head round it
  • The washer and 2 nuts. You should use the washer as it will be almost impossible to remove the prop when it needs replacing without cutting the prop hub if you use just the nuts. Ask me how I know.. To put it all on, first put one nut on the shaft, then the prop, then the washer and finally the second nut. Just make sure it's done up tightly. Nothing else to it.
  • Yep, the plastic wing protector sure does blow. I couldn't get mine to stick down so I used double sided tape meant for carpets. Got it stuck but it never sat right.
  • The instructions.. Found these to be utter garbage, didn't help in the slightest.
  • Rubber bands, they work surprisingly well, just be sure to replace them regularly. Also, I've found it works best to put the diagonal ones on last as it helps keep the others on
  • I notice, you didn't 'extend' the arial coming from the plane, probably wouldn't help with your problem but will give you some range issues if it stays like that. Just remove the tape and let it dangle free.
  • You heard it flies like a dream, well you heard right! I love this plane, it flies perfectly and even in up to 14-15 mph wind! Although I don't recommend this till you've practiced with it a lot first.

One final note I will make is that with the stock setup, you should get about 6 mins of flight time per battery. Although, I've found the gear box on this plane sucks, I went through loads of them before I decided to go brushless. Now I get 15+ mins flight time from one lipo. Might be worth considering, I wish I had turned brushless from the start.

Best of luck with this bird! Let us know how it goes.

Anyway, hope this helps,
Alex.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 07:47 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
What exactly is brushless. i keep hearing about this!
and I'm really interested in changing the landing gear/wheels. any suggestion on where to look
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 02:31 AM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Have a look at the start of the page in this link. http://www.thinkrc.com/faq/brushless-motors.php
It says about differences between brushed and brushless for helicopters but it's the same for planes.

Basically, brushless setups are more efficient giving longer flight times. They are also more reliable as brushed setups have a tendency to fail often.
The brushed setup will work fine, but it's worth considering.

As for landing gear, the stock gear works well although i eventually managed to snap mine. I just bent more wire to shape. You can try HobbyKing, I can't remember the exact item I found before, I'll post it later on.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
New crystals arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
Neoneo,

First of all, welcome to RCG.

Great video of the assembly, and I'm sorry to hear about your failed flight, at least it wasn't in the air when that happened.

A few things about points you made in your video;
  • Although it says it's RTF, mine came exactly the same way but was easy enough to put together once I got my head round it
  • The washer and 2 nuts. You should use the washer as it will be almost impossible to remove the prop when it needs replacing without cutting the prop hub if you use just the nuts. Ask me how I know.. To put it all on, first put one nut on the shaft, then the prop, then the washer and finally the second nut. Just make sure it's done up tightly. Nothing else to it.
  • Yep, the plastic wing protector sure does blow. I couldn't get mine to stick down so I used double sided tape meant for carpets. Got it stuck but it never sat right.
  • The instructions.. Found these to be utter garbage, didn't help in the slightest.
  • Rubber bands, they work surprisingly well, just be sure to replace them regularly. Also, I've found it works best to put the diagonal ones on last as it helps keep the others on
  • I notice, you didn't 'extend' the arial coming from the plane, probably wouldn't help with your problem but will give you some range issues if it stays like that. Just remove the tape and let it dangle free.
  • You heard it flies like a dream, well you heard right! I love this plane, it flies perfectly and even in up to 14-15 mph wind! Although I don't recommend this till you've practiced with it a lot first.

One final note I will make is that with the stock setup, you should get about 6 mins of flight time per battery. Although, I've found the gear box on this plane sucks, I went through loads of them before I decided to go brushless. Now I get 15+ mins flight time from one lipo. Might be worth considering, I wish I had turned brushless from the start.

Best of luck with this bird! Let us know how it goes.

Anyway, hope this helps,
Alex.
i got the new crystals today. getting ready to test them out and see if this bird will fly for me.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
i got the new crystals today. getting ready to test them out and see if this bird will fly for me.
Best of luck with the maiden, please report back on how it goes.
Also, remember to unravel the receiver arial!
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
Best of luck with the maiden, please report back on how it goes.
Also, remember to unravel the receiver arial!
i unraveled the cord. idk if it was that or the crystals but i tested they connection at about 55 feet. all seemed well. the plane took off, but at about 90 feet the connection was lost. not a tree or building in sight. she nosedived into the ground from about 20 feet up. see pics below. needless to say, I'm without a plane again. we'll see what TPA says. i emailed them the pics. but my mini cp was shipped out 2 and a half hours ago and its only a few states away. can't wait for that. and my ladybird will be on its way from china tonight. it took exactly 6 days to get to me, and 6 days to get back to them. so I'm hoping to see her again in 6 day. I'm probably going to try the cessna again. it wasn't the planes fault. bad wiring or something. but it gets 1 more shot, thats it. then i start looking on blogs for another beginner bird that handles wind well.
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
Registered User
abroadhurst94's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoneo View Post
i unraveled the cord. idk if it was that or the crystals but i tested they connection at about 55 feet. all seemed well. the plane took off, but at about 90 feet the connection was lost. not a tree or building in sight. she nosedived into the ground from about 20 feet up. see pics below. needless to say, I'm without a plane again. we'll see what TPA says. i emailed them the pics. but my mini cp was shipped out 2 and a half hours ago and its only a few states away. can't wait for that. and my ladybird will be on its way from china tonight. it took exactly 6 days to get to me, and 6 days to get back to them. so I'm hoping to see her again in 6 day. I'm probably going to try the cessna again. it wasn't the planes fault. bad wiring or something. but it gets 1 more shot, thats it. then i start looking on blogs for another beginner bird that handles wind well.
Sorry to hear about that. That is really unfortunate but please DON'T give up with this bird. If you can get it going properly, you will love it. It is the plane I learnt to fly on and I still fly it now, even after all my crashes and repair jobs. Foam repairs quite easily, yours should be no problem to fix, apart from the gear box.
Also, don't know how much wind you plan to fly in, but I have managed 16mph with this bird and no bad tendencies.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
253 Posts
Cessna TW-747

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadhurst94 View Post
Sorry to hear about that. That is really unfortunate but please DON'T give up with this bird. If you can get it going properly, you will love it. It is the plane I learnt to fly on and I still fly it now, even after all my crashes and repair jobs. Foam repairs quite easily, yours should be no problem to fix, apart from the gear box.
Also, don't know how much wind you plan to fly in, but I have managed 16mph with this bird and no bad tendencies.
the biggest heli i have is about 15 inches. but you know heli's. you don't normally fly them as far away as you would a plane. seeing the 747 flying 20 ft in the air and knowing i had control over it brought such a rush to my system. a dream i had dreamt since i was a little boy. it was a feeling I've never had before. and it was great. short lived but great. controlling that big beast with no option to hover was scary and exciting all in the same. I'm like a vampire who has had his first taste of blood. and i want more. waiting blows lol. but it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the mailman. AGAIN! LOL smh
Neoneo is offline Find More Posts by Neoneo
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Lanyu Cessna TW 747 - anyone else got one? niddaparkflyer Foamies (Kits) 101 Sep 13, 2014 09:01 PM
Discussion TW Cessna 747 Spare Parts jnav29 Crash Discussion 32 Jun 30, 2012 03:27 AM
Discussion Lanyu TW-747 Conversion? jcmors Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 3 Jul 31, 2011 02:25 PM
Help! tw cessna 747 parts OmarA10 Crash Discussion 1 Jun 06, 2009 03:48 PM
Discussion tw cessna 747 parts OmarA10 Crash Discussion 0 May 11, 2009 03:20 PM