SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
Successful Speed Session

I just got back from flying with Darren and his buddy George. Darren had a rough day with both of his fast prop jets having tech issues, but he hung out and helped me get some good video of the Nano S.

I flew it 5 times, 3 on 3s and 2 times on 4s. The 4s flights are on Darren`s phone, so he`ll post those when he gets time, but here`s one of the 3s flights. I`ve just checked it with RC Speedo and can only get a reading on a few of the final passes of the flight, when the batts were getting low. Even so, I`m getting 87mph upwind at 2:03 and 113mph downwind at 2:14, for an average of 100mph

If that`s the case, I`m pretty sure that some of the earlier passes would average even higher for the first official sub 40mm edf to break the 100mph barrier. I`ll be pretty happy if that is verified by Doppler. BTW the temp at the time (aprox 1:30 pm in Farmers Branch, Texas) was 63F.

But then I decided to go for broke and try this 6 turn motor on 4s. I wasn`t sure that it would hold up, but I got in two 4s flights and the motor still runs, although the windings are pretty dark.

On the first 4s flight one of the cells seemed to be weak, because it was faster, but not as fast as I had expected. On the final flight of the day, everything came together for some very fast passes, and yes, the motor still runs .

My seat of the pants guess is that it is in the 110mph range, maybe just a little more. It will be interesting to see how the results shake out.

There are still a few things that I can do to clean up the airframe and get a little more speed, and of course it needs an efflux tube. So maybe I can crowd that 120mph mark before it maxes out.

Nanospot on 3s (2 min 37 sec)
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:27 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
4s Flight....Average speed 109mph!!

Thanks Darren for posting the video and doing the Doppler so quickly. It was fun flying with you and George today. Thanks again.

Well everyone, here`s video proof of the first sub 40mm edf to do 100mph+. Darren did Doppler on it and gets 109mph and change for the average of up and down wind speeds. With better lipos and a few more refinements to the airframe, I think I can push it up above 115. Stay tuned!!

Lee's Nano Spot second 4S flight (2 min 36 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:08 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,852 Posts
wow! kudos man!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:16 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
I feel like making one now. Maybe once I'm done with my current project.
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:02 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,651 Posts
That thing is smokin! Great job! "incendiary round" lol.
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
Thanks Guys! Yep I`m very excited by the results yesterday. This little jet as exceeded my expectations. It`s easy to build, the fan and esc can be easily serviced, and once it`s dialed in, it`s very easy to fly at high speeds.

It`s also a very flexible design. Here is a short list of it`s development stages....

1) First it started as a foam 1oz profile pusher jet on 1s and about 10w. Also flew it on 2s at about 2oz weight and maybe 70w. On 1s it would have been nice indoor performance, on 2s it was great in winds up to about 10mph and had unlimited vertical

2) Then I built a full bodied foam 2s edf with the stock Sky Angle fan/motor/ 6a esc.

3) The above airframe was beefed up and fitted with 3s 360mah 25c lipos and a 12a esc.
This one was clocked ay 79mph

4) This same airframe was pushed to the limit (I think) with a few runs on 4s 360mah cells. The speed increased to about 88mph, but the motor failed after about 4 flights.

5) Then I decided push for 100mph with 4s power, an 18a esc and a rewound motor
capable of over 200w. To fit the power system, I enlarged the airframe slightly and used balsa to build it.
I felt that balsa was needed for it`s extra strength and stiffness. This is the setup that just did 109mph.

I guess the point is that the basic design is very flexible and anyone interested in building one can tailor the building material and power system to match their desired performance level.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Corrected and added some info
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
You've seen the Nspot go fast, so I wanted to get a video of how maneuverable it is. Camera is still too low, but it's better and shows more of the flight envelope. This flight ends in a flat spin. Excuse the French. But the damage was just a few minor cracks in the fuse, 5min repair. When I get a better video I'll post it.

ON the spin.... This airframe, when put into a hard stall with power off, will go into a flat spin. If you have power available, simply go to high power and point the nose down a little and it will quickly recover. The problem was that I hit LVC at the top of a straight vertical climb. I tried to restart the motor, but there wasn`t enough power to recover. Since it hit on an incline with the nose going away from the hill, there was almost no damage. Note to self....set the timer....and go by it.

Aerobatic Video of Nanospot (3 min 2 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Dec 24, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:34 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Last edited by NitroCharged; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
What happened to your post Dave? Let me know if you get a chance to check the Doppler.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,094 Posts
Wow +1
How can you even see that!

very nicely done
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,560 Posts
Congrat Lee for being member #3 of the micro edf 100 mph club
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:39 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
Thanks Bret!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,294 Posts
Congradulations!!! You 100+ mpher's are my HEROES.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:24 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Congrat Lee for being member #3 of the micro edf 100 mph club
So I guess the members are you, Brent and me, right? Maybe I should change my name to Brad or something, so I'm a better member.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Congradulations!!! You 100+ mpher's are my HEROES.

Ksqm
Thanks Ks. As you can hear in the video, it was fun for sure.
RCG Plus Member