SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2012, 07:25 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
823 Posts
Thanks for the forums guys All done on paper sketches for the YB-35 - CAD work starts now! Will start a topic when I have something to show.
Thanks again!
Andy.
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
All done on paper sketches for the YB-35 Will start a topic when I have something to show.
Feel free to start a discussion thread about your project. You don't need CAD to post. Just a description and wing span will get me subscribed.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11
Old Jan 06, 2012, 02:41 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Feel free to start a discussion thread about your project. You don't need CAD to post. Just a description and wing span will get me subscribed.

Kent
Second that.I find the whole design development process fascinating.(it will save you having to answer all the how and why questions later)
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:09 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortenI View Post
Looks like we got a foam free zone
You spoke too soon.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:04 PM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
550 Posts
The name is a bit confusing, but it will do just fine as flying wing lover will find the forum.

Martin
MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:32 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
Australia, SA, Windsor Gardens
Joined May 2001
1,935 Posts
I think there is great possibility for using foam, such as depron, to create these wings. Not using the kFm airfoil series, but as skins over a lightly built structure (the structure already containing the twist, or twist heated into the skins.
Robbie d is offline Find More Posts by Robbie d
Old Jan 09, 2012, 09:25 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie d View Post
I think there is great possibility for using foam, such as depron, to create these wings. Not using the kFm airfoil series, but as skins over a lightly built structure (the structure already containing the twist, or twist heated into the skins.
Hey Rob,

There are at least a few examples of this type of construction on the European forums. It can be a quick, low risk and reasonably low cost way of building a wing. If it gets people designing and/or building their own wings then I'm all for it.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
IMHO the Nurflugal title could stand as it is,without any qualifying description.Anyone interested in the design and build of flying wings will have come across the term and know what to expect.As Brian says,the continental groups feature all types of construction,materials and motive power.
Stuart
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:22 PM
marcus t
Battle Creek Mi.
Joined Jul 2008
69 Posts
Hey Guys I've been lurking here for a few days and thought i'd say something. I've been flying tailless aircraft since the early 80's. All of them have had some sort of yaw stabilization. Weather it was twist in the wing, beveled wing tips or vertical fins. It didn't matter how yaw stability was achieved even if a vertical fin was suspended way behind the wing on a boom. The thing that makes Nurflugal what it is, IMHO, is the absence of a separate horizontal stabilizer. The wing does all the lifting and pitch stabilizing without help.

That being said. Here's a couple that I've been playing with lately.

These are made form midwest Cellfoam88. At 24 inches good for indoor and calm air.
marcus t is offline Find More Posts by marcus t
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:30 PM
marcus t
Battle Creek Mi.
Joined Jul 2008
69 Posts
Foamies don't have to be flat plates or molded. Here's another one of mine yet to be covered. Made of fan fold foam. The spar is vertical foam which is wrapped with 1/4in wide fiberglass reinfroced packing tape.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus t View Post
Hey Guys I've been lurking here for a few days and thought i'd say something. I've been flying tailless aircraft since the early 80's. All of them have had some sort of yaw stabilization. Weather it was twist in the wing, beveled wing tips or vertical fins. It didn't matter how yaw stability was achieved even if a vertical fin was suspended way behind the wing on a boom. The thing that makes Nurflugal what it is, IMHO, is the absence of a separate horizontal stabilizer. The wing does all the lifting and pitch stabilizing without help.

That being said. Here's a couple that I've been playing with lately.

These are made form midwest Cellfoam88. At 24 inches good for indoor and calm air.
Are these the"David"designs ? I was looking for a simple to build wing to make with my grandson,these could be ideal.
Regards Stuart
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:47 PM
marcus t
Battle Creek Mi.
Joined Jul 2008
69 Posts
Thanks for your intrest! These are my own designs.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
marcus t
Battle Creek Mi.
Joined Jul 2008
69 Posts
They are what I "T-LAR designs (That Looks About Right). Based on my experiance of what works. Here are the basic dimensions. Wing root including the elevon is 6 inches. The tip is 3 inches. The span is 24 inches with a sweep of 60 degrees measured at the leading edge. The elevons are 2 inches at the root and1 1/4in at the tip. There is a slight airfoil sanded into the 3mm foam. The LE is sanded to 1/3 back on the top and TE is sanded on the bottom to the hinge line. There is cellophane tape on the leading edge which completely covers the sanded area on the top and covers the bottom to about one inch back. This adds a lot of strength without using carbon fiber. The tip sails are made from foam dinner plate material. I use the Spektrum AR 6400 Rx and the motor/gearbox from the parkzone P51. The prop is cut down to 31/2 inches. All up weight is 32 grams with a 150mah single cell on board. I hope this is helpfull. If you need more info just let me know.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:03 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,878 Posts
I know nothing about these little E gliders. An AUW of 32gm is amazing. I have batteries that weigh more than that. Love those build in servos! What a great way to get into RC. Every body should start with this type of glider.

You can post your stuff here in the "Use it or Lose it" thread if you like, but it'd be better to start a new thread titled "Marcus's amazing flying wings" then just post whatever you like. It doesn't cost any extra.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sw-11