HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Horizon ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF Review

Have you been looking for something a little different to fly lately? How about an airplane that combines exhilarating speed with off the charts performance and can be easily flown nearly anywhere? Then the new ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF might be just what you've been looking for!

Splash

Introduction

<b><i>ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180</b></i>
ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180
Wingspan:17.0 in.
Weight:2.15 oz. w/o battery, 2.55 oz. w/battery
Length:10.8 in.
Servos:(4) Spektrum AS2000L long throw servo
Transmitter:JR X9303 2.4 GHz
Receiver:Spektrum AR6400NBL DSM2 6ch. Ultra Micro
Battery:E-flite 7.4V 2s 200mah (25C) lipo
Motor:E-flite BL180 3000Kv brushless outrunner
Prop:E-flite 3.75 in. x 3 in.
ESC:Spektrum AR6400NBL DSM2 6ch. Ultra Micro
Manufacturer:ParkZone
Available From:Horizon Hobby
Retail Price:$159.99

Just three short months after the successful release of the completely reengineered ParkZone F-27Q Stryker BNF, ParkZone has once again sent the ultra-micro scene stirring with the introduction of the ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF. The ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is a scaled down version of its big brother, but delivers all the same breath-taking speed, climb performance, and off the charts maneuverability of the larger F-27Q Stryker.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF, designed by world-renowned Quique Somenzini, sports an all new trim scheme and features new functional twin rudders, a powerful new E-flite 3000Kv 180 brushless outrunner motor, a built-in Spektrum AR6400NBL DSM2 receiver/ESC unit with AS2000L servos and a power packed E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) lipo battery and balancing charger. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 also features a convenient briefcase size traveling box which makes transporting this airplane to any of your favorite flying sites super easy.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180's insane performance capabilities are unlike anything else you have seen. Here is the video which really caught my attention!!

<a href=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PKZU2280_Hi.wmv><big><b>Click Here!!</b></big></a>
Click Here!!

Kit Contents

Much like many of the other Ultra Micro series airplanes, the ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is shipped in a very conveniently sized storage/traveling box which iss nicely lined with molded foam which custom fits the airplane, charger and battery. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 box resembles (and is sized very much like) a briefcase, which makes transporting and taking this airplane wherever you fly extremely easy no matter what size vehicle you have. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is held in the box with two foam pieces which are molded to fit perfectly around the airplane and prevent it from damage during transport. After gently removing the two foam pieces from the box I was able to inspect the airplane for any damage and take a closer look at some of the details on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180.

After verifying there was no damage (no surprise there) to the airplane I was immediately impressed by the level of details on this little airplane. The six-color covering scheme really POPS, and I knew that would be very helpful with keeping good orientation on this fast little bird. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is constructed almost exclusively out of durable EPS foam and comes with a damage-resistant rubber nose cone which will not compress or lose shape like a lot of foam nose cones will over time. Needless to say I was pretty excited to get this little hot rod in the air to see what it (and myself) was capable of!

The ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 contains:

• Completely assembled and ready to bind Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 airframe
  • Dazzling Quique Somenzini trim scheme
  • Fully functional twin rudders
  • Pre-installed Spektrum AR6400NBL DSM2 receiver/ESC unit
  • Pre-installed lightweight and powerful E-flite 3000Kv 180 brushless motor
  • Pre-installed custom 3.75 in. x 3 in. propeller
  • (4) Pre-installed Spektrum AS2000L long throw servos
  • Damage resistant rubber nose cone
  • Magnetic battery compartment hatch
  • E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) lipo battery
  • E-flite 2s Celectra DC balancing charger

The ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 requires:

• A 4+ channel DSM2 or DSMX compatible transmitter capable of elevon mixing, dual rates, and exponential programming (DX6i and up)
  • Charging the battery pack

Item used to complete the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180:

• JR X9303 2.4 GHz transmitter

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 Manual

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 comes with a basic yet very informative manual which walks you through everything from how to properly charge the battery, binding your transmitter, adjusting control linkages, CG settings, flying tips and even how to safely repair your airplane if damaged. The photo-illustrations and well written text left little question as to how everything needed to be setup and properly moving before my first flight with the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180.

As with most ParkZone products you can find the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 manual conveniently on the Horizon Hobby website. I think this is a great idea as many airplanes are purchased second or even third hand and many times the included manuals are long gone. Having the manual available online allows the new owner to correctly setup the control surfaces and CG before their first flight.

Binding Setup

As mentioned above the Ultra-Micro F-27Q Stryker requires a DSM2 or DSMX compatible transmitter in order to bind to the 6 channel AR6400NBL DSM2 receiver/ESC unit. Here is a list of the transmitters which are DSM2 compatible:

• Spektrum DX8
  • Spektrum DX7 and DX7se
  • Spektrum DX 6i
  • JR X9303 2.4 GHz
  • JR 11X
  • JR 12X

PLEASE NOTE: The Spektrum DX6 (SPM2460) is equipped with DSM and NOT DSM2 technology, and therefore, is not compatible with the AR6400NBL receiver/ESC unit in the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180. Also, please keep in mind when setting up your radio to not set your ATVs over 100%. If the ATVs are set over 100% it could possibly overdrive and cause damage to the servos.

Unlike most binding practices with Spektrum receivers, the AR6400NBL does not require the use of any type of binding plug or even any type of contact with the receiver unit. Here are the simple steps needed to bind to the AR6400NBL receiver unit (using a JR X9303 tx):

• Select the model memory you want for the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180.
  • Plug in the 2s 200mah (25C) lipo battery and ensure the LED on the Spektrum AR6400NBL receiver unit is flashing.
  • Move the sticks and switches on the transmitter to the desired fail-safe positions.
  • Press the bind button on the back of the transmitter while turning the transmitter on.
  • After 5 to 10 seconds, the LED on the Spektrum AR6400NBL should go solid red once the system has connected.

That is all you need to do in order to bind the Spektrum AR6400NBL receiver unit to your DSM2/DSMX transmitter. Pretty easy!!

Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 Features

Spektrum AR6400NBL Receiver

Type: 6-channel ultra-micro receiver
Modulation: DSM2
Band: 2.4GHz
Length: 1.48 in. (37.6mm)
Width: 1.12 in. (28.6mm)
Height: 0.32 in. (8.0mm)
Weight: 0.28 oz. (7.8g)
Voltage Range: 6.4V-8.4V (2-cell LiPo)
Antenna Length: 31mm

The great thing about BNF (bind-and-fly) airplanes is that there is absolutely no building or assembly required!! This is normally the section in my reviews where I would talk about how the assembly went on an airplane. However, since there is no assembly required on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 I thought I would instead focus on some of the really cool details and features that ParkZone incorporated into the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 comes with an E-flite 3000Kv 180 sized brushless motor which is pre-installed on a very robust plastic motor mount assembly. The plastic assembly actually extends down to the holding slots on the bottom of the wings and also extends almost the entire length between the twin rudders (see picture above). This makes for a very solid and robust setup for the motor. The motor wires are nicely concealed through a small hole in the back of the turtle deck area.

The 3.75 in. x 3 in. prop fits nicely between the twin rudders, and when spooled up, provides a tremendous amount of thrust for the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180. The prop is held to the motor shaft using a small screw.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 makes use of a very nice magnetic canopy hatch system which conceals a very generous battery compartment area. The canopy hatch also has a built-in ram air style cooling slot located in the front which aids in cooling the flight pack. There are additional cooling/venting slots located right above the Spektrum AR6400NBL receiver unit which ensure the receiver unit remains as cool as possible during those insane high speed runs down the field.

E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) Lipo

Type: Lipo
Capacity: 200mah
Voltage: 7.4V
Wire Gauge: 26AWB
Configuration: 2s
Max. Continuous Discharge: 25C
Max. Continuous Current 5.0A
Weight: 0.40 oz.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker's battery compartment is large enough to allow the stock E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) battery pack to be shifted giving each pilot the ability to fine tune the CG (center of gravity) based on their own personal preference. I can attest the CG can be dramatically altered by shifting the pack forward and aft in the battery tray compartment so only small changes should be made at a time. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 makes use of the same style battery connector as the rest of the Ultra Micro series airplanes. The E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) battery is held firmly in place in the battery compartment cavity by the use of velcro which is found on the bottom of the battery compartment cavity and the battery pack. The foam which surrounds the battery compartment cavity also helps to provide a nice snug fit for the E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) flight pack.

The fully functional twin rudders on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 are operated by two Spektrum AS2000L long throw servos which allow for plenty of deflection (and authority) in both directions. The rudder pushrods are protected from damage during landings thanks to plastic caps which enclose each of the Spektrum AS2000L servo rudder servos. The twin rudders really allow the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 to perform some absolutely CRAZY maneuvers (more on these later)!!

Another unique item on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is actually found on the wing itself. The airplane uses a much thinner airfoil then the first generation Strykers had, and the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 also makes use of items on the wings known as strakes. In the full scale world, strakes are commonly used as aerodynamic devices used to improve airflow and stall characteristics on the surface to which they are applied. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 has strakes on both wings close to the wing tips. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 also has a cut back leading edge section on each wing just forward of each twin rudder. Both of these items aid in the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180's outstanding flight characteristics (see video below).

Much like the rudder setup, the elevon setup on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 uses two Spektrum AS2000L long throw servos which were nicely protected through the use of a couple of plastic caps. The elevon pushrods are much shorter than the rudder pushrods which I knew would translate into an immediate response from the elevons whenever stick inputs were given. If any adjustments are needed to center either of the rudder or elevon control surfaces mechanically there is a U shaped section on each pushrod which can be contracted or expanded using a small pair of pliers. No pushrod adjustments were required on my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 as all my control surfaces centered perfectly right out of the box.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180's unique features just keep on coming!! For those pilots who might need to land on hard surfaces the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is equipped with a small nose wheel landing gear and hard plastic fin skids just below the twin rudders. The nose wheel and fins skids allow the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 to safely land on hard surfaces without damaging the airframe.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Any time you are landing you must ensure the throttle is closed to avoid damaging the ESC, propeller, and motor.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 also features a rubber nose cone instead of the usual foam one which was found on the original Strykerís. The nice thing about the rudder nose cone on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is that it will not compress like other foam nose cones and is much more resilient during those less than perfect landings. The rubber nose cone can also be easily replaced or repaired by using foam compatible CA glue (as can the rest of the airframe). One word of caution: If you do need to do any repairs using foam compatible CA glue be sure to go lightly on the accelerator (kicker). The paint on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 can be removed should you happen to touch it when it is wet from the accelerator. Just be sure the accelerator has dried before touching any painted surface on the airplane.

Control Throw, Expo., and CG Setup

Spektrum 1.7G Linear Long Throw Servo

Type: Analog
Application: Ultra Micro Aircraft
Torque: 2.8oz. of force
Speed: .14 sec
Length: .66 in. (16.9mm)
Width: .87 in. (22.0mm)
Height: .33 in. (8.2mm)
Weight: 1.7g
Gear Type: Nylon
Voltage: 3.2V-4.2V

The recommended starting CG called out in the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 manual is 67mm (2.6 in.) forward from the firewall at the back of the fuselage. What is nice is the manual actually tells you this CG is attained by placing the E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) pack in the center of the battery compartment cavity. This is definitely a great starting point while learning the flight characteristics of the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180. However, for my personal flying style I have placed my E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) battery pack as far aft in the battery cavity as possible.

Dual rates were setup per the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 instruction manual.

Low High
Aileron 6mm (U/D) 12mm (U/D)
Elevator 5mm (U/D) 12mm (U/D)
Rudder Max. Travel Max. Travel
Expo. Settings
Low High
Aileron 30% 40%
Elevator 20% 50%
Rudder 5% 5%

After flying my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 for several flights I discovered the recommended expo. settings were just a bit low for my liking, especially on the ailerons and elevator. I have since increased my expo. settings slightly on the ailerons and elevator to those listed below. My new expo. settings have really allowed me to feel more connected with my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180, and I now find myself more comfortable in exploring the full flight envelope of this great flying little airplane.

E-flite Celectra 2s 7.4V DC Lipo Charger

Celectra LED functions under normal operation.

• Green LED blinking w/power but no battery connected.....Standby
  • Green LED blinking....Battery is connected
  • Blinking Red LED at varying speeds....charging
  • Red and Greed LED blinking simultaneously....Balancing
  • Solid Green LED....Full Charge
  • Red and Green LED flashing rapidly....Error

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 comes with an E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) lipo battery. The battery is charged with the included Celectra 2s 7.4V DC charger. The only thing you need to provide is a power supply unit or lead acid battery to power the Celectra DC charger. The Celectra charger is very easy to operate and does a great job of charging AND balancing the E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) battery pack. Flight times on the E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) pack will vary depending on your flying style and throttle management (or lack of), but I have been seeing between 7-9 minutes of flight time with my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180.

If you happen to forget to set your timer when flying the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 the motor will actually start to pulsate once the battery is nearing LVC (low voltage cutoff). If you start to hear the motor pulsate that is a sure indication it is time to land.

My personal expo. settings
Low High
Aileron 40% 55%
Elevator 35% 60%
Rudder 15% 15%

TIME TO FLY!!

Basics Including Take Off and Landing

I have to admit I was a little hesitant about hand launching my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 for the first time and then being able to get my hand back on the transmitter to fly it. So for the first couple of launches I enlisted the support of my friend James Hugg to hand launch it for me until I was comfortable with the flight characteristics of the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180. The airplane has built-in finger grips molded into the bottom of the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 which give you a convenient place to hold the airplane during the launch sequence.

To launch the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 all you need to do is hold the airplane by the finger grips, point the nose into the wind with a slight nose up attitude (5-10 degrees), and then give a nice firm throw. The throttle should be off until the airplane has safely left your hand. This is to avoid the spinning propeller from possibly cutting your hand.

After nearly 45 flights on my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 I am now more than comfortable hand launching the airplane myself. One item I have added to assist me during my launches is that I have programmed in a small amount of up elevator which helps keep the nose pointed up after it has left my hands. I put this program on a switch on my JR X9303 transmitter so that once the airplane is launched I can easily flip the switch to remove the up elevator. This setup has really worked out well for me!!

Once the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 has left your hand all you need to do is throttle up and this little airplane produces all kinds of power on its quest to go skyward. The throttle response on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is nearly instantaneous and some diligence is needed to prevent the airplane from becoming a speck in the sky (which can happen quickly). I was pleasantly surprised to see how stable the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 was in the air and how it was easily able to penetrate through a small amount of wind (5-7mph).

Using low rate elevon settings the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 tracks quite well and offers a very LARGE speed envelope from which to explore. At high speeds the airplane is very maneuverable even on low rates and racing from one end of my flying field to the other seemed to happen in only a few short seconds. The low rate elevon setting produces a fairly active but not overly aggressive roll rate and definitely one I felt comfortable with right away.

The twin rudders are really what make this delta wing airplane stand out!! The twin rudders have tons of authority and easily allow for wing over/hammerheads as well as very fast snapping maneuvers. My increased rudder expo. definitely helping tame the twin rudders down to my personal liking. Rolling the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 inverted revealed the airplane required a slight push of down elevator to maintain level flight. The power to weight ratio on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is nothing less than impressive!! On a fresh E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) battery pack the airplanes rate of climb is off the charts and the only limiting factor will be your ability to still see the airplane. While the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 has no problem burning up the sky all day long I was also very impressed by its ability to fly stable at slow speeds, in particular when it comes to landing.

The easiest way to land the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is to take the airplane up high, point the airplane into the wind, and then switch over to and apply high rate up elevator. What you end up getting is the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 descending in a super stable elevator maneuver which you can fly all the way down to the ground (if flown over grass). I was simply amazed at how stable the elevator maneuver could be performed on an airplane that only weighs 2.55 oz. RTF!!!

The twin rudders and ailerons remain quite effective during this kind of landing sequence and can be used to keep the nose of the airplane in the wind as well as remove any kind of wind induced wing rock if needed. Of course the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 can also be landed in a more conventional style which simply requires partial power (1/3 to 1/4) and enough energy to maintain a proper flair once in ground effects. It is EXTEMELY important with every landing style you use that the throttle is reduced to idle PRIOR to the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 touching down. If the throttle is still on during the landing you risk permanently damaging the motor, ESC, and propeller.

While the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is equipped with a nose wheel landing gear and bottom fin skids I have not had the need to land the airplane on a hard surface to test how these items work. For me it is just not worth the risk damaging the propeller when I have just miles of grass around me here in Ohio. It is nice knowing though that the option is there should I happen to fly the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 in an area which does not offer a grassy landing area.

Aerobatic Performance

To me this is where the fun really begins with the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180. To say I am having a blast with my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 would be a complete understatement. Just flip the dual rates up to high and stand back and enjoy the show! This airplane really sets itself apart from the rest when it comes to flying some really cool maneuvers. The old term, "Turn and burn" can be easily applied to the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 as it can bank and change directions faster than you can blink an eye when on high rates. The airplane has a very fast yet controllable roll rate when the dual rates are flipped up and I can honestly say I was very thankful Quique Somenzini took the time to ensure there was plenty of color trim distinctions between the top and the bottom of the airplane to aid in keeping orientation of my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180.

THE BOOMERANG........SAY WHAT?

O.K. I will be the first to admit I had no idea what my buddy was talking about when he asked me the following question, "So can the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 fly a boomerang?" I was like a deer being caught in the headlights of an oncoming car. I guess I had never heard the term boomerang when it came to flying airplanes. As I later came to find out it refers to some delta wing airplanes ability to spin at excessive rate. The boomerang can be performed either upright or inverted and is equivalent to what most of us would call a flat spin. I think the boomerang is about a step or two above the normal flat spin especially when it comes to the aggressive spin that can be produced.

After doing some research on the boomerang maneuver and incorporating some of the techniques I learned I can safely say the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 can not only perform both upright and inverted boomerangs but it can fly them extremely well!! The key to flying the boomerang is all in the entry. The entry really helps to determine how successful you will be able to fly the boomerang. I personally find I can consistently put my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 into a crazy gyrating inverted boomerang much easier than I can an upright. Both require some practice and technique in order to fly consistently all the time and I am just having so much fun doing so. What is interesting to note is that neither the upright nor the inverted spin require power to be on in order to tighten the spin. It really all comes down to technique!

For those of you looking for some good advice on how to fly an upright boomerang, David Eichstedt, a Horizon Hobby employee, posted this in the ParkZone's Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 thread here on RCGroups. I have been using this technique myself and find my upright boomerangs are becoming much easier and consistent to fly.

David Eichstedt quote (August 13, 2011)

"Yes! We can even get the Ultra-micro to Boomerang upright.

Low-rate elevator, high-rate aileron Enter a normal spin, full up, full aileron & rudder same direction; Next, rapidly reverse the aileron & elevator to full down & opposite aileron. This has to be timed properly with a flipping motion you'll see in the snap. Last, smoothly reverse the rudder to full opposite (aileron & rudder are now both opposite the way you started) and she'll wind up into an upright boomerang."

I highly recommend you have plenty of altitude (2 to 3 mistakes high) before performing any kind of boomerang maneuver with the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 as you will need extra time just for recovery (if not flown all the way to the ground). Recovery from either the upright or inverted boomerang usually involves neutralizing or possibly applying opposite control input to reduce the spin rate to regain directional heading and then applying throttle to fly out.

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is also capable of performing blenders. Yep, that's right, blenders! The best way to fly these is to take the airplane way up and then close the throttle while pointing the nose straight to the ground while applying full aileron. When you want the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 to blender simply feed in full opposite rudder and down elevator simultaneously and the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 will transition into a nice inverted flat spin which could ultimately result in a - you guessed it - boomerang, really fun maneuver to fly!!

The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 also has no problem performing parachute maneuvers. This maneuver once again will require some altitude. To enter from upright simply reduce the throttle, push the nose to a vertical downline, and then apply full up elevator to immediately stop the descent. What is cool about this maneuver is you can actually continue flying the airplane all the way down to the ground in an elevator style maneuver. SWEET!!

Is This For a Beginner?

While the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is surprisingly robust for its size and can be flown with great precision on low rates I would not recommend it for the beginner pilot. The Horizon Hobby website clearly recommends the airplane for intermediate skill level pilots. This would make for a great 3rd airplane for someone who has mastered the basics of r/c flight.

Photo Gallery

Flight Video

Conclusion

The ParkZone Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF is an absolute blast to fly, and thanks to the convenient travel/storage box you can take it with you wherever you go. The airplane has proven to me that good things do come in small packages. The Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 offers a vast flight envelope that is sure to please everyone from the Sunday flyer to the speed junkies and even the thrill seeking pilots among us. The airplanes unique ability to perform such maneuvers as blenders, parachutes, elevators, and those crazy boomerang maneuvers makes it a very versatile and extremely fun airplane to fly.

I have been very impressed with the durability of the airframe and its ability to withstand some serious G forces. The unique thin wing airfoil really allows the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 to penetrate the air and doesn't seem to be bothered much by light winds. The included power package truly delivers awesome performance and provides the perfect combination of power and reliability.

The ultra-micro scene is rapidly expanding and growing every day and ParkZone/Horizon Hobby has become the leader in providing these innovative models to the r/c community. I look forward to seeing what ParkZone/Horizon Hobby has to offer in the future with the ever growing interest in the ultra-micro flyer. Until that time comes I will happily enjoy flying my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 at my r/c field and at my local soccer fields. Now the only thing I need is to buy are some more E-flite 2s 200mah (25C) battery packs so I can fly my Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 all day long!!

For those of you looking to gain additional insight as well see some other member videos and flight reports on the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 here is a great thread you can use to follow all the action:

ParkZone's Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 BNF

Pluses:

• Fantastic looking Quique Somenzini trim scheme
  • Fully functional twin rudders
  • RTF right out of the box, simply bind-n-fly
  • Outstanding power and electronics package
  • Spectacular flight characteristics
  • Simple to use included balancing charger

Minuses:

• None noted

Special Note: I would especially like to thank my good friend, photo and video guy, Jim Hugg for helping me out with this review. I'm pretty sure I had the easy part when it came to flying the airplane for the photo and video shoots. It is not easy trying to take quality photos and video of an airplane with a 17 in. wingspan that can cover a lot of ground in a small amount of time like the Ultra Micro F-27Q Stryker 180 is capable of. Jim did a terrific job behind the lenses and I am truly grateful for his support and the desire he has to capture quality media.

Last edited by Angela H; Sep 07, 2011 at 12:24 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:56 PM
RCFlyng
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
Mini with Gear! Very Cool!

Mini Stryker with GEAR (0 min 49 sec)
theq111 is offline Find More Posts by theq111
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:32 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Nice work Tim!

Love this little UM.

Hyperion 2S 240 with GWS 4040 prop.
Awesome!!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 08:01 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Pretty hard to resist this one! Has anyone done a radar or doppler pass to measure top speed? It sure looks fast, but small planes are hard to estimate because they seem to be flying faster than they really are.
MR2

I found what I wanted. 51 mph is smokin' fast for something this small and maneuverable. It will be interesting to see how fast we can get these to go.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Last edited by minirips2; Sep 08, 2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:12 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
964 Posts
Nice review and I agree with everything you say about the fun factor.

My only gripe is with the charger (another charger..) and the lack of wall adapter and even basic info on required voltage supply, which is not in the manual, I've checked.
I assumed it had to be 12V, the banana clips suggested as much but for those of us who are city dwellers and don't have a car battery lying about in the apartment it's a bit of a head scratcher: I mean, are we supposed to rig 8 alkalines?

I eventually found a external disk drive wall adapter that supplies 12V and fits so problem solved but some info would've been nice, maybe even parts number for a HH wall adapter assuming they have it?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Sep 08, 2011, 10:17 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
Cool review.

Here's my cons which btw are very largely overtaken by all the pros (i love this plane):
- could be slightly more crash resistant "stock"
- edges and elevon edges aren't taped, should be
- on frontal impact the nose doesn't not necessarily pop, it often just break the plastic retainer and the "fuselage" at the finger launch area. glued nose seems to fix that interestingly
- canopy with air intake can fly off during flight on windy days when you go real fast (i lost mine that way). Note that its still rare enough.
-stupid charger/plugs. standards please.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Sep 08, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Jul 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
Pretty hard to resist this one! Has anyone done a radar or doppler pass to measure top speed? It sure looks fast, but small planes are hard to estimate because they seem to be flying faster than they really are.
MR2

I found what I wanted. 51 mph is smokin' fast for something this small and maneuverable. It will be interesting to see how fast we can get these to go.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post19137162
microheli is online now Find More Posts by microheli
Old Sep 09, 2011, 07:22 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
745 Posts
fun little stryker.
Hover or die is online now Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:34 AM
USA, FL, Bradenton
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
I like the Parkflyer Jumpjet better.

Larger faster and built heavy duty and not that much more. Plus
you can get all replacement parts for it.
videorov is offline Find More Posts by videorov
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
This UMX 180 is highly interesting (I fly a home brew version of the F-27C).

Thanks for an informative review! Might just be THE plane I've been looking for.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:53 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
I like the Parkflyer Jumpjet better.
Larger faster and built heavy duty and not that much more. Plus
you can get all replacement parts for it.
Wow, if I'm right, you're talking about a EDF with a 32" wingspan? Well, you got robbed if you paid more than the Ultra-Micro Stryker for it! You can get the same thing from HK for $75 plus shipping. Still not getting close to the real Stryker or even the Ultra-Micro Stryker above, so not worth even $75 as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10358

This is the equivalent of the full size Stryker not the ultra-micro. And if you fly both together, the Jumpjet is not even getting close to the full size Stryker. (Plus you get only 5 minutes of flight on a 2200mah battery....) Still a fun airplane to own, but in my book, not half as fun to fly as a Stryker (small or big). Only good point is the fact that it does track like it's on rails. Better be, nose is rather fragile!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
USA, FL, Bradenton
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Parkflyer Jumpjet

Sorry I don't buy from Hobbyking, not good support. Parkflyer much better.
videorov is offline Find More Posts by videorov
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Sep 2009
314 Posts
Parkzone UM F27Q Unboxing & Maiden Flight (3 min 24 sec)
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:24 PM
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Nice review and I agree with everything you say about the fun factor.

My only gripe is with the charger (another charger..) and the lack of wall adapter and even basic info on required voltage supply, which is not in the manual, I've checked.
I assumed it had to be 12V, the banana clips suggested as much but for those of us who are city dwellers and don't have a car battery lying about in the apartment it's a bit of a head scratcher: I mean, are we supposed to rig 8 alkalines?

I eventually found a external disk drive wall adapter that supplies 12V and fits so problem solved but some info would've been nice, maybe even parts number for a HH wall adapter assuming they have it?

Sorry we did not get the optional power supply and ratings to you where you expected it, will try to do better. Please note the rating and an optional supply for each region of the world is found on page 67 of the manual (optional items).

We certainly don't want customers who already own 12V power supplies to have to by 'another power supply'. (We sometimes take a different approach with beginner product.)

Best Regards,
David
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...-Manual_EN.pdf

ELFC4000
AC to 12V DC, 1.5-
Amp Power Supply
(US)

EFLC4000UK
AC to 12V DC,1.5-
Amp Power Supply
(UK)

EFLC4000AU
AC to 12V DC,1.5-
Amp Power Supply
(AU)

EFLC4000EU
AC to 12V DC,1.5-
Amp Power Supply
(EU)
dribbe is offline Find More Posts by dribbe
Site Sponsor
Last edited by dribbe; Sep 11, 2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:21 AM
United States, TX, Navasota
Joined Apr 2009
345 Posts
dribbe, now thats support. Good to know HH is involved!
wantoofly is offline Find More Posts by wantoofly