HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:48 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Build Log
GIANT 210% Jetset44 F-14 Tomcat

I've had this one bouncing around in my head for quite a while now and I just wasn't able to resist the urge any longer...

I've started on a BIG F-14 from Steve's plans.

Scale: 210%
Real Scale: aprox 1/9th
Length - 83.58"
Wingspan swept - 51.87"
Wingspan Unswept - 85.47"
Estimated AUW - TBD (expecting around 250-300oz)

I've done quite a bit a research leading up to starting this project... starting with the last jetset44 F-14 around this size. There was a thread MANY years back for a 200% that I've looked over. Its worth a look

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=200

And then there is the holy grail of parkjet builds, discreetfire's "Pimp my ride parkjet"...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=pimp+my

I have read this thread through several times, watched all of discreetfire's vids over and over, and will be using many if not all of his methods on this build. My goal, ambitious as it sounds, is to have a 7 foot long pimp my ride quality F-14 when I'm done.

To that end I'm also planning on incorporating:
  • Scale lighted cockpit
  • Detailed pilots
  • Scale-ish rotating retracts with gear doors
  • Scale lighting
  • Full Armament
wilmracer is offline Find More Posts by wilmracer
Last edited by wilmracer; May 31, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
I wanted to start with the wings and sweeping mechanism. At this size and weight I donít feel comfortable with scaling up everything and leaving it just foam and ply. I opted to go with a foam core balsa sheeted and glassed wing construction.

The foam cores were cut from ĹĒ Elmerís board. I started by replacing the leading edge with square balsa stock and then sanded the TE to a feathered edge. Per Jetset44ís recommendation for the parkjet I kept the flat bottom and didnít try for a symmetrical airfoil. It made construction much easier.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Next I sheeted the underside of the wings with 1/16Ē balsa, ensuring that it was perfectly flat. After trimming the excess (leaving 1/4Ē along the TE) I added two light ply supports in each wing and the CF support shaft. I had purchased .375 carbon rod to use as the spar, but opted to go with CF arrow shafts instead as they proved to be 2oz lighter each. The CF arrow shafts have some flexibility but should be more than strong enough, especially considering the sheeting and glassing to come. I also added the balsa for the wing tip at this time, as well as the wiring for the wingtip lights. Wires were pulled from old cat5 cable.

At this point I went ahead and sheeted the top surface. Before sheeting I carefully sanded the LE and wingtip balsa stock so it was flush with the foam. To make sure you donít sand away the foam at the same time put a layer of painters tape on the foam right up to the edge of the balsa to be sanded. Itís an easy trick.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:30 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Wow! Good luck. Are you going to keep it a pusher?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
subscribed

keeping my eyes on this one
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Wow! Good luck. Are you going to keep it a pusher?
Not surprised that this is the first question

Unless someone else wants to finance the power system, batteries, and little extras to fly her with dual EDFs...

Nope... I'm sticking with pusher. This is going to be a bit of a long build, and I'll start working out the power system once I have a better idea of the final AUW. I want to keep this flying like a parkjet rather than a heavy turbine or EDF bird.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:37 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Wil,,,, great project, good luck! Should be an intersting build! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:57 AM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,190 Posts
Sweet project, looking good so far, keep up the good work.
wirbech is offline Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:17 AM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Forgot to mention in the original post... the single best resource I have found on the web for the F-14 is http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail.htm

A great breakdown with diagrams for damn near everything.

I did get the lighting kit that I will be using. I'm going with the Nightfly 14LED system from RC-lights
http://www.rc-lights.com/products/RCL5324.html

The diagram below was taken from www.antf.net and shows where the lights will be going (minus chinpod and landing lights). I'm going to paint on the formation lights, but everything else will work.

I'm also going to use some of the spare LEDs in the system bashed together with a fiber optic hobby kit so I can light the panels in the cockpit. This is a LONG way off, but I've started thinking about the process and it seems VERY doable at this scale. This kit runs off of an LED, so basically all that is needed is to replace it with one of the lights in the Nightfly system and away you go. Going to use 2 kits, one on an always on channel and the other on a strobe for a neat effect...

again... a long way off, but it doesn't hurt to plan in advance...

As far as actual work... just shaped the wingtips...
Last edited by wilmracer; Apr 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:32 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Wow looks great!!! will be watching this one.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
One advantage to working where I do is that I can hit the Smithsonian Air and Space at Dulles on my lunch hour

It is going to be very helpful for this build. First up are the wingtip lights. I don't just want to bury the LED in the wingtip. I'm going to see about making a more realistic "light"... I've got an idea and I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow and post pictures...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
The UPS man dropped by, so there is a change of plans. I'll start the lights this weekend... I'm going to work on the pivot hardware tonight :-) Pics later...
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Iím sure everyone has noticed that I hadnít installed the pivot hardware yet. This was another part where I didnít like the idea of just scaling up. Even with epoxy holding the spar to the pivot I didnít think it would be strong enough for the loads at this connection. I decided to build the pivot hardware out of light ply and then laminate it with CF plate. The internal sections were cut per the plans and the CF plate was cut to match, just without the slot for the shaft. This way the support spar sits tightly between two plates of CF. It should have no problem handling the loads. I have drilled the pilot hole for the pivot point, but will wait to use the drill press to get it just rightÖ

I'll also line the spar box section where the wings mate up with CF plate, so it should be strong enough...
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:31 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Holy mackeral, wilmracer! This ship's gonna be HUGE! It's gonna be really fun to watch your build progress, it's looking great so far.

How are you planning to launch a model this large? Bungee?

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:05 AM
Joined May 2007
1,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset44 View Post
Holy mackeral, wilmracer! This ship's gonna be HUGE! It's gonna be really fun to watch your build progress, it's looking great so far.

How are you planning to launch a model this large? Bungee?

Steve
The thought right now is actually to see if I can incorporate retracts... rotating retracts for the mains... If I find that this isn't practical then I'll make some adjustments to my bungee system. The only thing I'm 100% sure of for launching is that hand launching is out