HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2007, 07:32 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Discussion
Long pushrod suggestions?

I'm setting up a Solo from SoaringUSA (Enigma from NESail) it's got a pretty long boom and the rudder/elevator pushrods will be very long (maybe 45") any specific suggestions (including supplier or photo's) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:45 AM
Kahului, Hawaii, United States
Joined Jul 2003
479 Posts
.018 stainless steel with etched teflon tube try searching on those I remember recently reading about sources in another thread
mauiguy99 is offline Find More Posts by mauiguy99
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:00 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,514 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=malin
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
Old Jan 30, 2007, 06:10 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,704 Posts
Jim,
I went to tailboom.com and got the etched Teflon tubing. That, and some small diameter CF I already, and I was good to go.
The tailfeathers on my DLG are controlled with .024 CF through Teflon. The ailerons have .040 CF.
Vince
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Jan 30, 2007, 06:39 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Thanks Vince.

Jim
Old Jan 31, 2007, 04:23 AM
Follow my drift?...
Rutland, England
Joined Jul 2006
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
I'm setting up a Solo from SoaringUSA (Enigma from NESail) it's got a pretty long boom and the rudder/elevator pushrods will be very long (maybe 45") any specific suggestions (including supplier or photo's) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, that's a very long pushrod I reckon you'd do well to at least consider some form of closed loop sytem; go take a look at the somewhat unusual method i've come up with (see my comments here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624664) This uses the steel wire in Teflon down one side and (0.003" dia) stretchy nylon fishing line down the other side. ***Note that i've now posted some pics but they're in our UK forum - follow the link

The weight of the the fine nylon line is just about 'zilch' but on my models i route it through v. fine Teflon tube (stretch carefully to reduce the dia) - i suppose this will add a little weight to the tail - but hey, you get a stonkingly good linkage. The pre-loads i've used for dlg are quite small (around 2~3oz) so the servo brg. loads are only inc. by a v. small amount.

This gives a system with NO play whatever, and the loads at the servo end are pretty much balanced out. I now have these linkages on all my (3) dlg models and they work a treat

For any special application where 'no slop'/instant response is required i'd recommend such a set up. I shall be using this on the test bed model for the Scheduled Presets ideas development (see this forum) - there we're trying to move elev. and rudder surfaces precisely for schedules varying from ~50mS to around only 300mS - so you need a 'perfect linkage'... or all that will happen will be a "transient wobbly slop uptake"

Best of luck with the long linkage.

Regards, Andy
Bretty is offline Find More Posts by Bretty
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:47 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
That's a nice setup Andy, I think I'm going to shy away from a pull/pull style setup at first at least to eliminate placing a load on the hinge and constant side load on the servo. I ordered some of the Teflon tubing from tailboom.com and will try some CF pushrods and see how that works out.

Thanks,
Jim
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:24 AM
Follow my drift?...
Rutland, England
Joined Jul 2006
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
That's a nice setup Andy, I think I'm going to shy away from a pull/pull style setup at first at least to eliminate placing a load on the hinge and constant side load on the servo. I ordered some of the Teflon tubing from tailboom.com and will try some CF pushrods and see how that works out.
In the longer term Jim, if you decide to try the closed loop thing anytime, i wouldn't worry too much about the loads you mention; in practice they are not that great. On the down side... this PCL arrangement can be hellish 'fiddly' to set up and get 'exactly right' - the big plus i've found is that once you do, they just 'stay perfect' forever. I've not adjusted any of mine in 12 months.

Good luck, Andy
Bretty is offline Find More Posts by Bretty