Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:27 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,516 Posts
Help!
one cell battery tester

Hi guys
What do you use to check the one cell batterys for parkzone micros to see what level of a charge they have?
Rich
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
467 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...l_checker.html

I use one of these with an appropriate adapter depending on the battery. It is pretty accurate for a go no go decision.
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,293 Posts
for 1 cell i use a cheapo multimeter.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:48 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlmeyr View Post

I use one of these with an appropriate adapter depending on the battery. It is pretty accurate for a go no go decision.
I have one similar to this but don't have an adapter for the 1s lipo did you get your adapter from hobby king?
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, OH, Dublin
Joined Sep 2001
467 Posts
no i just soldered one together for the 1s batteries
pohlmeyr is offline Find More Posts by pohlmeyr
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:14 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohlmeyr View Post

Me too.
To make get a 2S balance extender and a UM battery connector (or a bag of 10 pico extenders from HK).

Cut the wires so that you have a battery connector that mates the UM battery and a 2S balance plug that mates with the battery tester.

Cut off the red wire from the 2S balance lead.

Solder black wires together and cover with heat shrink.

Solder the (white on mine) positive wire of the battery connector to the center wire (green on mine) of the balance lead and cover with heat shrink.

Connect to tester as usual, negative (black wire) on pin 1.

The tester must be able to check voltage for 1S though. Only half of the ones I've come across will check 1S. If it says it supports 2S-6S don't be surprised if it doesn't work.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:30 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
Me too.
To make get a 2S balance extender and a UM battery connector (or a bag of 10 pico extenders from HK).

Cut the wires so that you have a battery connector that mates the UM battery and a 2S balance plug that mates with the battery tester.

Cut off the red wire from the 2S balance lead.

Solder black wires together and cover with heat shrink.

Solder the (white on mine) positive wire of the battery connector to the center wire (green on mine) of the balance lead and cover with heat shrink.

Connect to tester as usual, negative (black wire) on pin 1.

The tester must be able to check voltage for 1S though. Only half of the ones I've come across will check 1S. If it says it supports 2S-6S don't be surprised if it doesn't work.
I just looked I have extra battery connector and bad 2s battery so I could use that lead. Then looked an my tester says 2s-6s uggh.. I still gonna try it if nothing else some more soldering experience.. Thanks for the help guys. If mine doesn't work I will grab a 1S not like another one going to break the bank.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:40 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,303 Posts
Be sure to cut the balance lead one wire at a time. The shock wouldn't hurt but if it catches fire you have a bigger problem.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Be sure to cut the balance lead one wire at a time. The shock wouldn't hurt but if it catches fire you have a bigger problem.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:08 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,348 Posts
Quote:
................ The shock wouldn't hurt but if it catches fire you have a bigger problem.
Shock??? You won't get a shock from a one cell LiPo!! Now, a 10s LiPo pack will cause a tingle...... (37 volts, which in the EU is considered a lethal voltage).. But thankfully, we in the US are a lot smarter. No one ever heard of anyone getting electrocuted from a LiPo pack. But wait as the herd thins............................
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:19 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,790 Posts
Most cheap testers won't work on less than 2S....but you can always just add two connectors and test two batteries at a time. That's what I do .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:29 AM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Most cheap testers won't work on less than 2S....but you can always just add two connectors and test two batteries at a time. That's what I do .

Steve
Yes, this one costs a little more (it's $5) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ker_Alarm.html

I have one and use it sometimes. The alarm is so darn loud though,.