SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
This could be why I had some issues with the original Foam-Tac. I just read the back of the original Foam Tac card and it says to, "Spread glue evenly on both sides of material to be bonded. Allow surfaces to air dry for 10 - 20 minutes..." Then when I pressed the surfaces together they bonded immediately and I had no wiggle time and ended up with some misaligned parts.
Hi Guys,
Just to clarify there is no need to spread glue to both sides, also do not wait 20 minutes as all the solvent evaporates and when you put pcs together it's like a permanent bond. With the new formula add a bead to one surface, then push other surface into the glued side, mush them together a bit, pull apart and wait about one minute, then push back together, this gives you a strong enough bond to continue building, but if you need to reposition you still can for about 10 to 15 minutes, after that it's pretty much ready to go, that's one of the advantages of the new formula over the old.
As for thinning, Hexane is very hard to find is caustic and a carcinogen, very bad for you, it will also eat foam almost any foam so we do not condone, or recommend anybody use it, despite what someone else posted with the name that sounds like they work for Beacon said, that person works for a distributor and not for Beacon Adhesive, bad advice!!!!!
If your old version of Foam-Tac gets a little thick this is what I do, I boil some water in a tea pot pour some in a cup and sit the bottle in the hot water for a minute or so, just enough water to cover half the bottle is fine, and it works great. We have addressed this with the new version, it's thinner to begin with and will have a longer shelf life, and those are just a few of the improvements we have made to Foam-Tac. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have, I'll be happy to answer.
Eric
Beacon Adhesives
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:21 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
This may have been mentioned and I missed it but FT eats $tree and FFF foam.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:53 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Really FT as in Foam Tac.Thats all I build with DT & FFF does the new formula eat Polystyrene? Eric woould Know.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:52 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Hey guys,
here we go again, Really!!!! FOAM-TAC DOES NOT I REPEAT DOES NOT EAT ANY TYPE OF FOAM !!!!!!!

Foam-Tac does not, will not attack or eat $tree or FFF or styrofoam, or EPP, or EPO, or Depron etc... adnauseum, et al, Ibso Facto E,I,E,I,O.. all the live long Day.
DO DA.Do Da,

All kidding aside, Foam-Tac was designed specifically for, and still is, one of the only glues available that does not attack any type of foam, I honestly don't know where some people get their info from. I have personally tested Foam-Tac on all the types of foam we use in this hobby, and I am telling you it does not attck any foam, I, as well as others have posted pictures of planes built with Foam-Tac, and we used it on MPF, EPP, FFF, $tree, EPO, Styro, Balsa, Ply, bass, pine, plastic, metal. So please don't post it if it's not true, or you have never tried the product. Here is an example, a couple of months ago a friend cut some styrofoam flying wing cores for me, I tried Foam Safe CA to glue the wing halves together, I used a few drops and spread it out with my, finger then taped the pcs together and put them aside to dry, when I came back there were big chunks missing from my glue joint, this Brand name supposed, high quality $22.00 for 2 oz, CA had eaten away and melted my wing joint, mind you I did not use kicker on it, it also ate my control surfaces on a Depron Mako Kit I bought from WMparkflyers.com, when I used it to glue in stand-offs and control horns, !@$%&@ ?????? But I did not post and say it attacks foam did I? No, i tried it again on a few pcs of different foam and it did not melt them, I don't know why or how, but still I did not come here and post that it attacks foam, Get it? it happened on a few pcs but worked fine on others, go figure, so please don't post false statements I'm begging you.
Thanks for listening to my rant
Eric
Beacon Adhesives
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:58 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
NO It does not attack $tree or FFF foam!!!!!! you may want to try it first, rather than reposting and quoting false statements. Also check out the submissions for the contest and see that they had Zero melting with Foam-Tac. Don't believe me ask them, you'll see.

Eric G
Beacon Adhesives
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Oct 2004
553 Posts
Contest winner

Didn't see the contest winner posted.
Who won the October contest?
olddog is offline Find More Posts by olddog
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:32 AM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
me and rrich
i have build 8 planes already using 2 bottles of foam tac and Mpf /fff/and depron so far and no melting/softing of the foams, just remember, less is more!
also no more tape hindges, all of them are foam tac hindge and all but 1 is still holding up, the one that didnt held up was a nose dive crash and ripped the elevator apart
heres the origanl thread where the winners where
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741896

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:03 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
[QUOTE=Eric Giorgiantonio;23162529]NO It does not attack $tree or FFF foam!!!!!! you may want to try it first, rather than reposting and quoting false statements. Also check out the submissions for the contest and see that they had Zero melting with Foam-Tac. Don't believe me ask them, you'll see.

Eric G
Beacon Adhesives[/QUOTE

Hold your water Eric, I have a correction. I was going on what my kid told me since he was the first to use it of the two of us. I just got a email from him saying he confused FT with some WELDERS (red tube) he was trying and got the samples mixed up. My mistake. But, I don't know what F*** you mean by "reposting and quoiting false statements". I did not post anything I had read before only what a family member told me, but he was wrong.

My bad if I caused any readers to think FT will melt certain foams. It was an honest mistake and unfortunate.
Last edited by Raften; Nov 02, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
it was a honest mistake but it was your mistake to misrepresent the false information 1st before you got your facts straight as Eric was trying to stop those information being posted

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:06 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
"misrepresent the false information", Geeze Pete I am not in the habit of giving the third degree to someone I know and trust. Are you?

Oh and just one other thing.Thirty minutes ago I put dabs of FT on two pieces of $tree, spread it out to cover both surfaces and pressed them together. I know that is not how the directions say to use it as I didn't let it air dry. But you know what, the $tree is now mushy. Makes me wonder if it was really Welders that was used or that the kid didn't read the directions well enough. I'll contact him this evening.
Last edited by Raften; Nov 02, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:21 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
very true, one instance of my nephew, he gotten a 3000kv 24 gram motor and hw 20 amp esc and when he was flying it say the combo sucks and doesnt work, i took hi word and not use it, and gave it to me to put in my extra parts bin for whatever, few months past and i needed just that motor to use for a 24 inch wing, and i dug it out and though about it and desided to use it, it was like he said, it sputters at high speed, terrible, then remember somewhere to put timing on high, low and behold, perfect,

should i not believe anytheng he will ever tell me from now on? nope, he didnt know bout the timing and say it sucks, it dont work, waste my money etc. etc... just like anything else, follow instructions,

and sometimes...DONT believe in instruction, why? well, that same wing, was blue core 2 inch hot wired , BSI foam safe is foam safe right??? well.... not for Blue core 2 inch, or the batch of 2 inch dow i got from home depot or the bottle i got from BSI, it ate the foam up like you wont believe, and it suppose to be foam safe, no i havent even spray on the kicker yet even!!! now did i dis BSI? for mis-advertisement? nope, just caulk it up as a lesson learn, BSI foam safe CA +BLue core 2 inch= disaster

btww= i still trust my nephew and i still use BSI foam safe

-pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,516 Posts
catch a shark by the tail (2 min 34 sec)

Made a tow vehicle with epp and beacon foam tac to get some video of the Mako.
Heavy winds and alot of clouds blocking the light i need for better video.
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rcrich; Nov 02, 2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: fix
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac

[QUOTE=Raften;23164958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Giorgiantonio View Post
NO It does not attack $tree or FFF foam!!!!!! you may want to try it first, rather than reposting and quoting false statements. Also check out the submissions for the contest and see that they had Zero melting with Foam-Tac. Don't believe me ask them, you'll see.

Eric G
Beacon Adhesives[/QUOTE

Hold your water Eric, I have a correction. I was going on what my kid told me since he was the first to use it of the two of us. I just got a email from him saying he confused FT with some WELDERS (red tube) he was trying and got the samples mixed up. My mistake. But, I don't know what F*** you mean by "reposting and quoiting false statements". I did not post anything I had read before only what a family member told me, but he was wrong.

My bad if I caused any readers to think FT will melt certain foams. It was an honest mistake and unfortunate.
Well then,
My mistake and I apologize to you.

Eric G
Last edited by Eric Giorgiantonio; Nov 02, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Foam Tac October Award !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Didn't see the contest winner posted.
Who won the October contest?
Hi OD, sorry you missed the post of the October Winners, yes there were 2

Petey AKA Meaneybaby
and
RcRich,
These Gentlemen both won and did beautiful work with Foam-Tac and Foam, they exemplify the talent and creativity that is in abundance in this great hobby.
Also just to remind everyone the November winner or winners will be announced next week, so you still have time to get in on this months contest, here is a great way to get more noticed, post your entry here and on the Foam-Tac web site, double exposure increases your chances.
So get to "Sticken and Clicken" and post your Build, repair, or tech tip.
Good Luck to all
Eric
Beacon Adhesives
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:51 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbb1...1&feature=plcp
Made a tow vehicle with epp and beacon foam tac to get some video of the Mako.
Heavy winds and alot of clouds blocking the light i need for better video.
that is awesome Rich!!! i love it

-pete
RCG Plus Member