HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
It only cost 50 honest!
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
sd card

think I may have killed my 4gb card. Forgot and tried to format it with windows xp. now although it appears in the list, whenever I try to acces it it locks up. tried formating on my mac same thing. tried sd formatter that locks up also. running h2testw but that doesnt seem to be doing anything either. is it dead or can I get it working?
David Parry is online now Find More Posts by David Parry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:22 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
Try formatting in a camera, such as Canon, etc. I saved one this way.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:17 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parry View Post
think I may have killed my 4gb card. Forgot and tried to format it with windows xp. now although it appears in the list, whenever I try to acces it it locks up. tried formating on my mac same thing. tried sd formatter that locks up also. running h2testw but that doesnt seem to be doing anything either. is it dead or can I get it working?
Is it a newer Sandisk card by any chance. They are subject to being put in a write protected state for which there is no recovery. But Sandisk will give a free warranty replacement. I've had two like this so far.

FWIW, I always format the card I'm using in the #16 with the camera's own formatting routine.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:05 PM
It only cost 50 honest!
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
think you may be right Tom, tried every device that will take a SD card in the house, and sometimes get a message that the card is locked. It is a sandisk one, about 3 or 4 yars old. Will contact sandisk and see what they say, but probably best to just get a new one. dont have a number 16 (yet) just a 3 and 11 so cant try formating in the camera.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:23 PM
It only cost 50 honest!
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
changing the subject Tom just made the battery box you detailed, thanks for that. what do you use to charge the batteries insitu?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:53 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Parry View Post
changing the subject Tom just made the battery box you detailed, thanks for that. what do you use to charge the batteries insitu?
I use my all-purpose RC battery charger which can charge most all battery chemistries. I made the battery cable short with a small gendered plug (micro Dean's plug if you are familiar with those). The I have two extensions that connect to that plug. One is an old USB cable with flakey data wires, but good power wires for powering the camera, and the other terminates in a full size Dean's plug to mate with my charger cable. The micro Dean's plug can easily handle the AAA cell 1C (800 mA) battery charging current.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Nov 2000
12,063 Posts
Apologies if already posted, but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer!

Has anyone measured the current draw when recording?

Thanks in advance
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Apologies if already posted, but I tried searching and couldn't find the answer!

Has anyone measured the current draw when recording?

Thanks in advance
Since the #11 uses the same processor as the #16 I would assume the current draw to be the same as the #16 which is between 220mA and 300mA. That is with video-out disabled. Current draw while charging will most likely be different than the #16 since the cameras use different charging ICs.

The above figures are based on a #16 post I wrote here which I originally posted at the beginning of January 2012.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Nov 2000
12,063 Posts
Thanks Isoprop.

I'm looking at running one from a 5V booster/regulator to eliminate the weight of the internal cell, but the small/light ones are commonly limited to 200 mA. I didn't think that would be enough.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:22 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Isoprop.

I'm looking at running one from a 5V booster/regulator to eliminate the weight of the internal cell, but the small/light ones are commonly limited to 200 mA. I didn't think that would be enough.
AnyVolt?
Half an amp Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: fumble fingers
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Nov 2000
12,063 Posts
Thanks, will have a look at that.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:53 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Isoprop.

A regulator and the internal cell, have a similar weight ...

Either you use directly 5V bec from your radios gear ... or if you run on 1S .. you can get directly the power ... as well .. if you use a lipo 2S or more ... you can take 1S Lipo from the Balancer connector.

So ... no need for any extra HW on my view

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
Only problem with tapping into the balance connector (which I have done also), is that if voltage drops below 3.6 v, the camera will quit and the video file may be lost. That can happen even when the battery is still half charged due to a sudden load as in acceleration.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Nov 2000
12,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
A regulator and the internal cell, have a similar weight ...

Either you use directly 5V bec from your radios gear ... or if you run on 1S .. you can get directly the power ... as well .. if you use a lipo 2S or more ... you can take 1S Lipo from the Balancer connector.
Currently looking at this 5V boost regulator for 1.5 grams:

http://www.active-robots.com/bodhila...or-square.html

Think that's significantly lighter than the internal LiPo.

This is for a micro quad flying on 1S. I have already tried running it from the flight cell but the camera shuts down after about 90 secs due to the voltage drop under load. A boost regulator will stop that.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:03 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Currently looking at this 5V boost regulator for 1.5 grams:

http://www.active-robots.com/bodhila...or-square.html

Think that's significantly lighter than the internal LiPo.

This is for a micro quad flying on 1S. I have already tried running it from the flight cell but the camera shuts down after about 90 secs due to the voltage drop under load. A boost regulator will stop that.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7565

This or similar (70mAh or 80mAh) .. look better match

I guess you run your #11 naked

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Closed Thread