SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2010, 05:53 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I hate to give HK links as they suck as far as concern shipping but here it is... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5358
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 06:34 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,476 Posts
Guiseppi, if you're re-painting the plane then it'd be a good idea to sand the existing paint off first - the paint on my 109 weighed 10g, my paint job weighed 2g, saving 8g. Definately worth it at this scale.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Jul 04, 2010, 07:55 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoys1961 View Post
What kind of 10g brushless is everyone using? And is there a link to order.?
http://www.lazertoyz.com/
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:05 AM
Nashville TN.
Joined May 2010
113 Posts
Thanks pavcon, placed an order against my better judgement.I did order some Nano batteries. I'm in no hurry though on this order. I agree they do suc on shipping time. Every time I ordered its taken10 days- 3 weeks.

I'm still gonna place a small order with lazertoys though. Appreciate it guys.JR
oldtoys1961 is offline Find More Posts by oldtoys1961
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:59 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,387 Posts
Hey, Weasel. What paint did you use?
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:51 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,476 Posts
Revell acrylics, though the Tamiya ones are nearly as good. Smell a bit funky though and I seem to need three coats with them instead of two with the Revell. I also glassed the whole outside of the fuse, the inside to the TE of the wings and glued in some CF strip, and was still a couple of g down from the original paint job.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old Jul 04, 2010, 11:14 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,387 Posts
Cool. Still lookin' for some help with mixing exterior flat latex. I found a guide on the web: http://www.houstonhobbies.com/tips/p...ying-latex.pdf but am still hoping for input from someone here. Also, if anyone has any experience using one of these to spray it?
Old Jul 04, 2010, 06:31 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Decided I'd rather not break propellers and who knows what else belly landing in a parking lot so, landing gear were added.

Weight without a battery is 107.3g - 3.78489612oz. Weight was increased around 5g.

Next I'll head for Home Depot with the wing and have them color match the paint with their Behr exterior enamel. I'll also grab some of the Floetrol and some automotive windshield washer fluid.

Now. Who has any experience with this method of spray painting? How much of each do you use?
Great looking plane. One thing DON'T use enamel paint, it will eat the foam. You want to use acrylic, Then you can go over it with some thinned WBPU. As far as thinning you want to thin it enough so that it sprays easily through your airbrush or sprayer in your case. Several light coats work much better.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jul 04, 2010, 07:01 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,387 Posts
I edited my post. I meant to say exterior flat latex.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 07:24 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,219 Posts
You can use Testors enamal spray bombs as it's formulated for plastics. How much you have to thin the paint depends on the gun and the pressure. Experiment by putting a bit of paint in the gun and adding thinner till you get a fine spray without being lumpy and splattering. If your paint is thin enough you may not need much thinner added.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:33 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,429 Posts
Fw-190

Here's my FW-190 almost ready to go.

AUW is about 108g w/ aileron conversion 13g motor, 23g lipo, 6g ESC, 4.5g & 2.5g servo and 4.4g RX.

I used epoxy glue for areas of maximum strength (firewall and aileron area) and a special white glue called bondcrete which may only be available here in Australia for most other foam-to-other-material gluing. Bondcrete glues almost anything to anything without melting or reacting with foam and is excellent. I also used UHU POR to glue any foam-to-foam pieces together (fuselage halves and tail/rudder).

A couple other places where you can save weight:

Spinner - I made my own foam spinner. The original was very heavy at around 2.5g.
Canopy - It's pretty heavy. My photo shows the canopy on the model (and is included in its current weight) however it is not attached. I am thinking about making a foam piece and painting it black/grey. Due to the dark tint, a solid canopy will look just as good IMHO. This will save another ~2.4g.
Excess foam removed - original motor mount, original switch area, fuselage/wing connection area and in the tail. Saved around 3.5g.
Pushrod - the originals are all metal and puts weight near the tail - exactly where you don't want it. I used carbon fibre rods. If you look closely in the photo you can see that I haven't cut it to size yet as it sticks out the end.

I know that sounds paltry however it does add up. If you can save 2.5g four times around the plane that equals 10g saved!

A lot of planning went into the layout and position of components as I wanted to avoid adding any ballast to get the COG correct.

After all this the COG looks like it's going to come out bang on 1 3/8" aft of the leading edge of the wing - which is just in front of the plastic wing brace.

The original kit is fairly complete in terms of hardware - though in the end I didn't end up using most of it.

I tested the motor last night - with my 6x3 prop it will be able to take off vertically. I'm not really a fan of overpowering models - I just want to swing a bigger prop and make sure there was sufficient nose weight (which there is). I had intended in mounting the elevator servo at the front of the wing however it's currently attached to the bottom of the canopy area.

I also have a BF-109, I intend to make this one sub-100g using the 5g HK brushless, smaller battery and sanding the paint off and respraying lightly and doing all the other weight removal processes I outlined above. I will also remove the plastic wing brace and replace with a carbon fibre equivalent.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Last edited by Slaanesh; Jul 08, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:50 PM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,387 Posts
Nice Slaanesh. Great Job. What are ya using for glue. I think using hot melt glue may have been my undoing. Our component weights are virtually identical but I've managed to end up nearly a full oz. heavier.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:50 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Nice work there.. I did mine but I only cut smaller ailerons looking for less sharp moves on the ailerons
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:29 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Nice work there.. I did mine but I only cut smaller ailerons looking for less sharp moves on the ailerons
That or use dual AS2000 servos.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:21 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,219 Posts
Yes, the dual servos would work better due to the crank in the Corsair wing.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2