Find More Posts by Aerogance
I can't fly .55
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
New Product
The Comanche - tips, tricks and mods

*** EDIT: The Comanche is now available at http://www.jwglider.com ***

Josh has been advocating the return of the Comanche combat / slope / DS epp glider. After a recent combat session with his old Comanche, I decided to tackle the project. Using his existing Comanche as a guide, I have the platform templated.

I made CAD drawings of the fuselage last night and got everything into the CNC today. It takes 7 pieces of software to do this, including 3 CAD packages. I cut the first prototype fuselage and mocked it up with the tail feathers. Next up is the wing. I will get to that as time allows.

Photos;
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Last edited by Aerogance; Nov 09, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2015, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by Swoopdown
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,536 Posts
Cool. How about some specs? Span, foil etc.
Looks like fun.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Oct 10, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by curdman
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2010
767 Posts
That looks like it will be a hoot. I'm down for one.

Ds combat. I would really like to fly with you guys sometime. That sounds like a blast.

Scott
curdman is online now Find More Posts by curdman
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:20 PM
I can't fly .55
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
Here are the specs from Pat's old website:

Comanche Specifications:

Wing Span: 48"
Length: 26"
Wing Area: 408 Sq. In.
Airfoil: SD6061
Weight: 22 oz.

I actually got a set of wing cores cut today and have everything together to build one. This is a prototype and I already see some small adjustments to the fuselage and wing I will be making. The plan is to build the prototype and fly it to verify things such as CG, throws, nose weight and AUW.

DS combat is very fun indeed! Having a plane that is designed for that purpose (that is not a wing) will even the field and also help people let loose knowing that their plane is purpose built. We can combat our clean and fast foamies, but I would rather have a dedicated ship for the task.

Aaron
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by _Sloper
407mph P.B...Going 4 500mph!
Parker Mtn / Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
806 Posts
Nice classic!! Pat's old baby is coming back to life. I remember the one before that one...the Ruff Neck I think he had haha. I had one similar ..a guy copied Pat in the late 90s ..it was called the Survivor 2..one of the first group of EPPs after Pat started using EPP for models.
_Sloper is online now Find More Posts by _Sloper
Old Oct 12, 2015, 01:08 PM
I can't fly .55
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
The build is coming along. The wing has been cut, spar installed, tips shaped and half of it has been spackled. The fuselage is shaped, spackled, sanded and ready for gear install. Photos:
Last edited by Aerogance; Nov 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Any Day Flying
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2015
28 Posts
Wow!! The prototype looks great Aaron~! I cant believe that you made a template, did all the CAD work, got tooled up, cut, and produced the first one so fast.

I can't wait to fly a brand new, super clean Comanche. They're soooo much fun!

Best, J
Any Day Flying is online now Find More Posts by Any Day Flying
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:53 AM
I can't fly .55
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
More progress as time allows: Wing is fully spackled and sanded. Servos are cut in and potted. Servo lead slits are cut. Receiver pocket is formed. The receiver I am using has a satellite so that is also cut in and all wire chases are formed. The RX is an older AR7000 from the Daisy Cutter.

For the battery I have a 5.0v NiMH 1650mah 2/3A flat pack I plan to use. It is on charge now. Plan b is to make an eneloop pack if the 1650 pack doesn't charge. It has only been charged about 15 times since new so I hope it is still good.

My plan is to built and rig the wing, then figure out the fuselage layout. The elevator servo, battery and nose lead need to be placed in the fuselage. Since I have never built a Comanche before, I want to get the wing done so I can guesstimate the amount of nose weight it will need to balance out.

It is a fun plane to build, and it certainly has its place in DS history! I can't wait to fly it and smash it into Josh's Comanche....
Last edited by Aerogance; Oct 14, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
4,497 Posts
Looks cool.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Last edited by 1000MPH; Oct 14, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 08:36 AM
I can't fly .55
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
Thank you!
Last edited by Aerogance; Oct 14, 2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:42 PM
I can't fly .55
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
Radio is fully installed. I put the battery in the nose and the elevator servo in the side of the fuselage. Elevator linkage will run outside the fuselage just the same as the existing Comanche has it. It doesn't look difficult to internalize the pushrod on a future build.

For the battery, I wound up making a 4.8v AAA Eneloop square pack. My old battery needs to be cycled so making a new one allowed the project to move forward. To mount the battery, nose lead and elevator servo I sliced a section of the nose and canopy off. The way I sliced it allowed me to form the elevator servo pocket and power lead hatch.

I final spackled and sanded everything after it was put back together. I sprayed all the parts with Loc-Tite spray adhesive and let it dry for an hour. I put fiber tape on the wing and fuselage and then covered the fuselage and tail feathers with colored packing tape. The tail group is gooped on and drying now.

I still need to bevel the elevons and cover the wing. I plan to glue the wing on the fuselage with Goop. It is getting close to finish!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Pilot Error
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,732 Posts
Looking good Aaron!

What do you think about using a longitudinally split fuselage (like the LEG birds) to facilitate gear install in the fuse? The builder could install all the gear, weight, etc. and then simply glue the halves back together and cover.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:48 AM
I can't fly .55
Joined Sep 2008
4,088 Posts
Not sure at this point. I almost think mounting all the gear in the wing is most sensible.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
Remember... Fly for fun!
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,914 Posts
Nope, I'm sorry, that's a fail. It needs digital skins
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by rccracky