New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2015, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by vanpaassen
United States, WI, Genoa City
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Got the rudder done. A little pic off the shop too . How did you guys put your cows together and get them so smooth .
vanpaassen is offline Find More Posts by vanpaassen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
2,094 Posts
I'm jealous of your hobby room setup
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by Hookdriver
rotorhead....
United States, GA, McDonough
Joined Feb 2008
75 Posts
The cowling is a bit tricky. THe last time I did split cowls like this I used thin CA to hold the halves together. Then used epoxy and glass tape on the inside of the seam. The outside seams got a thin wipe of bondo and glazing putty. Then prime and paint as normal. The trick is wet sanding. Get the filler and primer as smooth as possible. Start with a light lack coat on your final paint. Then lay another coat over the top after a minute or two. That will help control runs. Adter the paint has dried a couple days you can hit it with a bit of rubbing compound to get a mirror shine.

All of my cowls seem to take a beating due to my crappy landings....so after the first couple I did concours treatment on I gave up. I gettem close enough that they look good on a flyby.
Josh
Hookdriver is offline Find More Posts by Hookdriver
Old Jul 19, 2015, 01:31 PM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the advice . I'll post a pic when I have the cowl done . started the wing this morning. I am a suing the 1/4 by 3/4 leading edge goes on after the sheeting? ???
Old Jul 19, 2015, 01:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
21 Posts
Here is the colors I chose
Old Jul 20, 2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
172 Posts
Vanpaassen, good choices for colour. You'll appreciate one colour cowling when you paint; is hard to get symmetrical lines. Also orange really stands out in the sky.

PD
marmalade1 is online now Find More Posts by marmalade1
Old Jul 21, 2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by CryHavoc
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpaassen View Post
How did you guys put your cows together and get them so smooth .
Moonlight, soft candle light and a little wine usually helps..... Uhhh, just a little hint though, they really don't like being called Cows, or even Heifers, Hoes or such.....
CryHavoc is offline Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Last edited by CryHavoc; Jul 21, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
2,094 Posts
lol
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 22, 2015, 02:10 PM
Joined Sep 2013
172 Posts
I've started flying my RV4 40 recently and I'm finding it hard to slow down (with full/half/no flaps) to land. It's coming in hot without flaps and just not descending much with flaps at idle and seems to just want to fly over the runway.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Maybe use the 3 position switch for the flaps to be: spoiler/normal/flaps instead of: normal/half flaps/full flaps?

Using OS70SII with APC 13X6. Idle about 2300 RPM.

Thoughts?

PD
Last edited by marmalade1; Jul 22, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by los36
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
628 Posts
Do you have much time on that engine? It can probably idle a bit slower if broken in ... around 2000 RPM would be ideal.
If a super low idle makes you nervous of flameout, consider this: if you have a radio with a throttle curve mix, you may be able to program ground / air throttle settings. Basically bringing the min RPM up to 2500 or so while flying on "curve A", flip a switch to engage "curve B" which lets the idle come down to 2000. Otherwise known as flight conditions.
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Old Jul 22, 2015, 07:52 PM
Joined Sep 2013
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by los36 View Post
Do you have much time on that engine? It can probably idle a bit slower if broken in ... around 2000 RPM would be ideal.
If a super low idle makes you nervous of flameout, consider this: if you have a radio with a throttle curve mix, you may be able to program ground / air throttle settings. Basically bringing the min RPM up to 2500 or so while flying on "curve A", flip a switch to engage "curve B" which lets the idle come down to 2000. Otherwise known as flight conditions.
The engine was 2nd hand, but judging by how rich it was set I believe the guy that it wasn't broken in yet. I can go lower, and maybe I ought to.

I use the second curve as my throttle kill to close the barrel. Once warmed up it can idle about 2000; I'm not trying to set any records, I just want it to be reliable as I don't relish the thought of a dead stick with this one.

I'm happy I tried the 13x6 first and not the 12x8!

PD