New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 30, 2015, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by Wilfor
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,809 Posts
Here's something I've been working on. FPV wing which I can configure different ways to suit my needs. Lots of room for batteries and gear.
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,721 Posts
For those who can't get DTF/Readiboard locally

I have noticed a few folk having trouble finding Readiboard / Dollar store foam locally, or locally for the original buck a sheet, and thought it a good time to revisit whether I can sell my "most of a Pallet" of Readiboard for less than local plus sales tax. The back story here is that Adams approached us a year ago or more with an offer to get some Readiboard at a really good price, with two caveats: first, each sheet has a wrinkle in the paper about an inch from one end, and the minimum order would be a full pallet (25boxes). Since I use Readiboard for most of my onesheeter kits (www.onesheetkits.us) I figured I could use much of it eventually, and sell the rest locally at meets and shows (sold a box worth at NEF this spring, for instance). I played with shipping when I first got it, and found that I couldn't get the total price below what most all could get at their local dollar store, so didn't add it to the website.

Fast forward to now, and finding that some stores are increasing prices per sheet, and the shipping rates have changed (sometimes for better, sometimes for worse) I redid some calculations.
I priced the foam is $.50/sheet (which hopefully will cover my costs) and checked for 6, 12, 24 and 36 sheet packs shipped by USPS Priority Mail, USPS Standard Post, and UPS. I found that Priority mail is best price for locations in the midwest close to MI, and at a 6 sheet pack, but for all other sizes and locations Standard Post is best rate. The sweet spot for value seems to come in at the 24 or 36 sheet packs which came out to $1 to $1.25 a sheet net based on foam + shipping.

So, for anyone who can't find Readiboard, or can't get it for a good price, send me a pm with your zip code and I'll check costs for your location.

The two attached pictures show the wrinkle in the foamboard, top sheet in both is paper pulled back, which shows the wrinkle greatly reduced in foam only. It is only on one side, and the sheet is straight and flat on the unwrinkled side. I completely removed the wrinkle from foam by pouring boiling water on it in a couple cases. Additionally, this batch of foam is about the best I've seen for constant thickness and lack of waves.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Last edited by springer; Jun 27, 2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,721 Posts
MPF at Flite Fest 2015

Also, for those of you in the Midwest, I just signed up as a vendor at Flite Fest this July. We'll be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning with foam and kits.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Jun 28, 2015, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Squall
United States, OH, Ravenna
Joined Nov 2012
542 Posts
That's a pretty good deal on the Readiboard you're offering folks who can't get it locally. I got a bunch from you for $0.50 at Akron U this last spring and it was just fine!

Glad you're going to Flite Test! I'll be getting two 16 sheet boxes of MPF from ya! Looks like another busy winter building planes!
Squall is offline Find More Posts by Squall
Old Jun 29, 2015, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by rcrich
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,656 Posts
What do you guys like for paint on mpf
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,749 Posts
I use water based indoor/outdoor artist acrylic as found at craft suppliers.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
Old Jun 30, 2015, 04:56 AM
Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Cobra Driver
United States, NC, Hurdle Mills
Joined Dec 2005
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
I like using water based Createx, Wicked, Auto-Air, E'Tac or other airbrush paints.
Also the craft acrylic paints such as Apple Barrel or Folk Art brands will work also. They will need thinning down if you plan to spray them with an airbrush.
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
Apple Barrel acrylic from Wal-mart. Then some clear packing tape over the top for a nice sheen.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project