Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by heli_madken
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,296 Posts
Build Log
PCM Models - Lockheed L1011 Tristar

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked by a friend to assemble this partially completed kit and take it through to painting.

By all accounts this is a pretty rare kit and there isnt much information on line about it at all. The kit itself is beautifully made and has stunning looks. There are quite a few issues that need to be fixed though

I have a set of instructions but no diagrams so a lot of this will be winging it. There are a lot of bits missing so there will be some fabrication to be done, for example the whole turbine mounting system isnt here

Havent decided on a turbine yet but looking for around 22lb thrust so Jetcat P80 or similar, any opinions? it needs to be light due to the position right at the rear

I am going to start with the wings first and sort out the awful servo mounts and landing gear

I reckon about 3 months work to complete, if anyone has any information on this model it would be appreciated
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Last edited by heli_madken; Oct 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by HarryC
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,738 Posts
Nice one, I have often wondered about it on the very rare times they come up for sale because I think it is a lovely plane, but decide against it because what can you do but fly in circles? If I got one it would be in RAF white scheme with trailing refuelling hose.
Anyway, re the engine, afaik the jetcat P80 is an old design and is larger and heavier than other makes of 100N engines so if that really is important check its specifications against, for example, the Wren 100 or Merlin 100, size and weight of the old Wren 54
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Last edited by HarryC; Aug 07, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by tyates5445
Joined Nov 2006
106 Posts
I have one of these and am in the final stages of finish before the paint. I am doing a military version of a NZAF airtanker. I am using a K-80. You are right there are no, or very few parts laying around for this bird. I used BVM servo mounts for the flaps and ailerons. Mine had been partially built as well when I got it. These things fly pretty well, but are fast and slippery, and not prone to slowing down too well for landing. The trick seems to be to keep them light and try to keep as much weight to the front as possible. Looks to me like someone planned on mounting the servos in the horizontal here and the original used two CF pushrods for control of the elevators, in an attempt to keep as much weight forward as possible. I have an assembly manual if you need any additional information.
tyates5445 is offline Find More Posts by tyates5445
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:01 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,296 Posts
Thanks for the help

Tyates - I have a written manual but it contains no diagrams so its hard to follow, did you do a build thread or have you any pictures of your installation it would be a great help, totally puzzled at the moment over rudder control

I have worked on one wing today and installed aileron and flap servos. Had an issue with the gear installation as the previous owner hadnt installed it straight, it couldnt retract fully as it was fouling the main spar

Trying my best to tidy up the gear doors as at present they are horrible
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by tyates5445
Joined Nov 2006
106 Posts
Your wings mounting looks similar to mine. There are no real diagrams to go by. Most of the parts in these kits were laser cut and already installed for the most part. I did not do a build thread nor do I have any pics. I built the elevators mounts on the side of the fude, right in front of the tanks, behind where the nose joins the fuse. I ran two CF rods with 4-40 ends down the inside and out to the elevators. For the rudder I routed out a pocket on the side of the rudder for a Hitec digital slim wing servo, short connecting rod to rudder, and then the extension leads out the bootm and into the fuse. The engine mounts to two hose pipe type clamps on the metal bracket in the tail. I have had two of these, this is the second. The first one I had was in the Delta scheme, and I regret selling it. It was spectacular. They are fast and fly like a performance jet. My buddy still has one and flies it frequently. It is a pain to slow down.
tyates5445 is offline Find More Posts by tyates5445
Old Aug 07, 2014, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,492 Posts
Very nice model.. Or it will be Im sure when your done with it I personally love a challenge.

Enjoy the build
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2014, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,190 Posts
Think the lightest engines will be the wren 100 or the JC Rabbit.

Very cool model.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:47 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,296 Posts
It looks like we will go for the Wren 100 as it is easily availalbe in the UK and as you say the lightest

I have finished with the main gear area for now, I had a lot of trouble taking out the port undercarriage as it had been fitted a full 6mm lower than starboard lots of epoxy everywhere but thankfully poor quality so everything came apart relatively ok.

I didnt like my earlier attempt at the inner doors so took the plunge and extended them to where I feel they should . Added a strip of Plasticard then glassed over the junction with light cloth and epoxy to prevent any splitting. Then added a fairing at the end to cover any remaining gaps

I have also sorted the method of closing and opening both the inner and outer gear doors

Moving on the the nosewheel now, unfortunately the gear doors are missing so I am going to have to make a plug and cast new ones
Old Aug 13, 2014, 02:58 AM
Find More Posts by HarryC
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,738 Posts
nice work
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:34 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,296 Posts
I have finished the nose area for now so I can move on to the tail servos

It took some work to get the retract right, it had been fitted too high so when retracted the nose wheel was still protruding and too far back hence the horrible cut outs at the rear of the opening to clear the steering arm. Then I noticed there was a sheered off brass screw in one of the holes holding the retract so this took some time to work out

The easiest solution to correct the position was to add a 4mm shim at the rear of the retract to tilt it forward which not only allows the doors to close but clears the rear of the opening
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by RC_Hobby_Fan
Joined Jun 2014
10 Posts
is that beautiful model of yours made out of wood? And how do you make sure nothing gets burned by the heat from the jet engine?
RC_Hobby_Fan is offline Find More Posts by RC_Hobby_Fan
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:08 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,296 Posts
HI, It is a very well made fibreglass fuselage, the whole area around the turbine will be given a coat of ceramic heat shield paint, although its a confined space there is plenty of air being drawn into the area of the turbine so during flight the area will be quite cool
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by vettster
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,492 Posts
Looking good!
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:18 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,296 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement vettster

Sorted the rudder out over the past couple of days. The instructions talk about a pull/pull cable system but I really didn't want any cables on the outside of the model so I came up with a torque rod system

There is just about enough room to squeeze a servo in the void beneath the V-Stab so I cut an access hatch carefully and made a mount it seems to have worked out well

The rudder is attached with Robart hinge pins but I am still a little dubious about this as there are no hard points to attach them too only the internal foam core. What I have done is to hollow the area out a little left and right and forced some Hysol in so that it forms a v shaped plug so if it does come loose it cant pull out in flight

Next up is the elevators although I am struggling with how the pushrods are routed as there is a large housing for the undercarriage in the way of where I would like them to go