SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by wattnoise
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
Discussion
Feiyu Tech 3-axis Gimbals - G3 Ultra and the New Mini-3D (See first post.)

Note: This is NOT a FeiYu Tech sponsored thread. This is an old-school, grass roots, hobbyists' thread of consumer testing. I am not a representative of FeiYu Tech and have no standing or sway with the company. It is expected that if anyone from the FeiYu Tech company or their vendors do post on this thread, that they will identify themselves as such.

May 29, 2015:
This thread will be incorporating the new Mini-3D gimbal for discussion as well.
First mention of the Mini-3D and subsequent posts start at Post #687.

To make things easier for everyone, please, state the gimbal type in the title of your posts: G3 Ultra or Mini-3D.

G3 Ultra for Aircraft from FY website:
http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=44

Mini-3D for Aircraft from FY website:
Pending

Note: Vendors are transitioning their stock for the new version Mini-3D gimbal. G3 Ultra gimbals may be in short supply or out of stock. I would suggest e-mailing the vendor before back ordering a G3 Ultra as to their future availability.

August 1, 2014:
Unboxing and Installed
A Few Initial Observations

August 3, 2014:
aerorynamic 1st Test Flight
wattnoise 1st Test Flight

August 6, 2014
Chad2323 1st Test Flight

August 14, 2014
aerorynamic - Updating Firmware Video

August 16, 2014
blakeanderson - Modification for Mounting Inverted on a Fixed Wing Aircraft

August 18, 2014
blakeanderson - Fixed Wing Flight Video
wattnoise is online now Find More Posts by wattnoise
Last edited by wattnoise; Yesterday at 09:57 AM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by guyg
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,733 Posts
Hi
Many people are NOT HAPPY with FY support !
2ex gimball still facing problems ad FY do not Care at all ..None

Selling gimbal is one thing
Supporting it technicaly is More ..mach more
And looks like Fy is Not good with this support
Just to let you know
Check out this thread that is still running ..No support!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...015405&page=18

Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Jul 31, 2014, 08:51 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
I have followed that thread and have seen the issues people have had with the 2-axis gimbal. But, honestly Guy (just my opinion) a lot of it has been user problems and not the product. It seemed that a lot of people think the G3 2x for $150 should have had the features and quality of a Zenmuse Z15 - just kind of baffled me.

The G3 2x is what it is - a self-contained brushless gimbal that works right out of the box with factory settings that are not user changeable except through firmware upgrades. Firmware upgrades though do not magically change the hardware. The complaints have been akin to someone expecting Windows 8 to work on a 386 computer. I did one firmware update (1.24) and that's been it. I use the gimbal to its capabilities and that's all. There have been no idiosyncrasies that I could not work around or even use to my advantage.

As I said above, my G3 2x has been bullet-proof - almost literally. I had a bad crash back in February. I had a flight motor seize up, the quad fell from about 30 feet, broke the landing gear, and smacked the gimbal hard on the ground. The video showed the gimbal reinitializing and righting itself as I was walking over to pick up the pieces. Didn't have to do anything to the gimbal other than dusting it off when I put it on the new quad.

I've had the Tarot and Alexmos based gimbals as well as servo gimbals - they were always a royal PITA and frustrated the heck out of me. The FY G3 2-axis gimbal has always been flawless in comparison. I expect nothing less or more from the 3-axis model.
Last edited by wattnoise; Jul 31, 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:52 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
Takes a Lickin' and Keeps on Tickin'

My quad crashing this past February and smacking the FeiYu Tech G3 2-axis gimbal on impact. You can skip towards the end to watch the gimbal right itself. The vid is the complete flight and you can see little vibrations from time to time which I attribute to the #3 motor about to seize. Not sure, but this vibration may have been discernible if I was flying strictly FPV, and I might have been able to land before the complete failure that destroyed my quad. Good example as to why you should never fly directly over people or expensive things, also.

This place is pretty cool and I was lucky to get to fly here. It was originally a family homestead ranch from the 1800's. It became a boarding school that has just closed and is no longer accessible. The overgrown path that you see at about 3:22 is an old closed runway (Fenster Airport). Hard to see, but right in the corner where the road intersects the runway is the old windsock pole still standing. Wish I could have documented more of it, but couldn't for obvious reasons. It's slated to be razed for a new housing development from what I understand. Oh, well - got this much anyways.

Fenster Mishap (4 min 11 sec)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by hexacop
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
96 Posts
I've got my FeiYu Tech G3 3-axis gimbal but have got some problems which i did not see before with the Stella gimbal.
Stabilization works well and the motors have a lot of power, but by default the yaw axis is too slow and if you continue to yaw the copter in one direction, the yaw axis will reach the end point.
The rc control does not woks smooth enough, the gimbal always makes a hard stop when it reaches the final position.
I have vibrations on the pitch axis which I could not solve yet.
hexacop is offline Find More Posts by hexacop
Old Aug 01, 2014, 05:23 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
Unboxing and Installed

Photo 1: The box - GotHeli always packs a Jolly Rancher candy or two in the their packaging. Nice.
Photo 2: First things first - have a candy.
Photo 3 and 4: The instruction sheet is very well done. Much better than I've seen in any other product from China thus far. Still a few English syntax errors, not many, and nothing that made it confusing.
Photo 5: The contents of the box.
Photo 6: Installed and ready to go. Took an hour and a half including the mods for mounting to my quad, video downlink connected, wires tidied up, bench tested and ready to fly. Too easy so I did not go through a step by step pictorial of turning screws for you. Follow the instruction sheet.*

*I'm not saying that I won't help if you have difficulty. Just ask and I'll do the best I can.
Old Aug 01, 2014, 05:26 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
A Few Initial Observations

The screws that attach the gimbal to the shock mount are very small. I would caution you about possibly stripping them if you're not careful. Should probably check that they are still tight after a flight or two. Not sure of the material so I am not going to advise use of any kind of adhesive or Loctite formula.

The wire to the yaw motor is a little short on mine. It does not have full movement to the right stop before the wire length runs out. Left stop is fine. I'll see what effect it has during the flight test. It would not be difficult to extend the wire.

The arm lengths of the pitch and roll motors are a little short IMO. I understand the need to keep it compact, but 1 cm extra would have been better I think.

I have a ND filter and FPV cord that obviously unbalances the gimbal, but it seemed fine with it on the bench test. Finger pressure did not tumble the gimbal. May add some balance weight to compensate after flight testing it. If nothing else, it may help with longevity of the motors and power consumption to rebalance it.

I won't be able to fly it until Sunday (2 days from now). Patience, Grasshopper... Will report back.
Last edited by wattnoise; Aug 01, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by aerorynamic
Joined Aug 2012
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattnoise View Post
The screws that attach the gimbal to the shock mount are very small. I would caution you about possibly stripping them if you're not careful. Should probably check that they are still tight after a flight or two. Not sure of the material so I am not going to advise use of any kind of adhesive or Loctite formula.

The wire to the yaw motor is a little short on mine. It does not have full movement to the right stop before the wire length runs out. Left stop is fine. I'll see what effect it has during the flight test. It would not be difficult to extend the wire.

The arm lengths of the pitch and roll motors are a little short IMO. I understand the need to keep it compact, but 1 cm extra would have been better I think.

I have a ND filter and FPV cord that obviously unbalances the gimbal, but it seemed fine with it on the bench test. Finger pressure did not tumble the gimbal. May add some balance weight to compensate after flight testing it. If nothing else, it may help with longevity of the motors and power consumption to rebalance it.

I won't be able to fly it until Sunday (2 days from now). Patience, Grasshopper... Will report back.
thanks for all the info you posted here; got mine in the mail yesterday thanks to the lightning-fast shipping @ gotheli : ]

few notes to add:

- there are not pitch "up" and "down" buttons like the 2 axis model.
- end pieces on motors are now composite rather metal like the prev model, still feels robust like the 2 axis, but feels perhaps 8% "cheaper"; long as it performs, not a deal-breaker for me
- my kit came with extra screws & bobbins, nice surprise there

flight video coming soon!
aerorynamic is online now Find More Posts by aerorynamic
Old Aug 02, 2014, 11:27 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
I agree on the "8%", but still seems solid. It was smooth on the bench. We're supposed to get a break in the weather tomorrow morning so I'll hopefully get some flights in. May not get my video up till Monday though so if you get some footage, please, post it up. What flavor candies did you get?
Old Aug 03, 2014, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by aerorynamic
Joined Aug 2012
394 Posts
flight last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=RvQEQMb8np8
aerorynamic is online now Find More Posts by aerorynamic
Old Aug 03, 2014, 07:17 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
That looked great. Catching the lightning was a neat bonus. I noticed only one hard yaw stop on the low level maneuvers. I know that we'd fly as smooth as possible though when we were really serious about a subject video.

I'm rendering my vid now so it should be up in a couple of hours. I kind of put it through some "turbulence" as well to see how it would take it.

Thanks for the vid aerorynamic.

Kevin
Old Aug 03, 2014, 09:10 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
First Flight Video

Tried to make it as difficult as possible for the gimbal. I left the ND filter off of the GoPro in bright sunshine and recorded at 30fps in 1080p. I set up a ground camera to see the quad "shake it" maneuvers in sync with the GoPro video. This was the first flight from start to finish, but I kept it short. No editing corrections were done. See what you think.

FeiYu Tech G3 Ultra 3 Axis Gimbal Flight Test (4 min 2 sec)
Last edited by wattnoise; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Got the video player working
Old Aug 06, 2014, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by Chad2323
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,858 Posts
Received mine today I'm happy with it for the price.
g3 (5 min 37 sec)
Chad2323 is online now Find More Posts by Chad2323
Old Aug 07, 2014, 10:31 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,356 Posts
That looked good!...

A question to Chad2323 and aerorynamic:

Could you tell us what radio system and type of switch you are using for the tilt function? I ask because aerorynamic's seemed smooth and Chad2323's had a little bit of ratcheting effect. I wonder if it is the switch type selected on the transmitter rather than the gimbal.

I am using a HiTec Aurora 9 transmitter and have found that the rocker switch was smooth in tilt operation in comparison to the slider switch which has detents along its travel. I've only done this on the bench thus far though.

I did shoot another video, but had a severe vibration that I could only reduce with warp stabilizer in post editing. Found that I had a bolt sheered on one of the quad's arms. I probably over-torqued it when it was first installed. They don't make hardware like they used to.

Everything is smooth again, and I'll shoot some more video this weekend. Y'all post more, too...

Kevin
Old Aug 08, 2014, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by ECODRONES
UAV Operator
Brazil, SP, Caraguatatuba
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hello,

Maybe is possible to mount it inverted, at top of airplane airframe (Skyhunter), not under the plane?

Thanks!
ECODRONES is offline Find More Posts by ECODRONES