Old May 25, 2015, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by crosstrim
"Rocket Scientist"
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezaryd View Post
>> Also as per learned lesson, I am going to use nylon screws, hopefully those will snap while wing hits the ground (method used in F3J many, many years ago, worked well). Any help is much appreciated. <<
Cez
Hi Cezaryd, I have had some experience using nylon screws. You can see how badly I mangled the P2K wing without any real damage to the nylon screws:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6646

I believe the reason that the nylon screws didn't work as planned is because the wing is held captive by the fuselage lip at both ends of the wing saddle. I'm building my second P2K now, so I am looking into modding the fuse to allow the wing to pivot when doing "low level aerobatics".

ct
crosstrim is online now Find More Posts by crosstrim
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2015, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by crosstrim
"Rocket Scientist"
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
363 Posts
4mm motor shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilleFly View Post
>> Soon as i see they got prop-shafts in stock for that motor ; i will get one !!! Bille
With a 4mm motor shaft chances are you won't be needing many spares

ct
crosstrim is online now Find More Posts by crosstrim
Old May 25, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by BilleFly
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstrim View Post
With a 4mm motor shaft chances are you won't be needing many spares

ct
HA !!!
You don't know , exactly how bad i screw-Up ; when i Screw-Up !!
And i'm an OK kinda pilot. --------------------------------

Ask me where my Legs went ?

Bille

BTW :
I'm going with the sand option, for the extra weight i want. I'm gonna make
two, inside bulkhead that are angled , just below the servo tray , (with a top); gonna
move the servos
back to those cut-outs to the rear. Then i'll make a door that springs-open with
a servo, to empty the sand. No glue ; i'll screw in the two bulkheads. I'm gonna go
for 14oz , (400g) of sand. The elevator will be used with much finesse !!!
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Last edited by BilleFly; May 25, 2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by Digiflier
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2003
83 Posts
Lost a blade from a folding prop

Had a close call at the field today. I was climbing out for the first flight of the day. It was only about 300 ft up and didn't seem to have the power it normally had and thought that I must have put a discharged battery into it. Then it seemed to make a loud, vibrating noise. I say loud because there was a large heli flying beside me and I could hear it over that. It appeared to shed some pieces and maybe even smoke? I had no more power and thought oh, I must have blown the motor or esc. I discovered that I still had minimal flight control and managed to fly away from the swamp and make an emergency landing on our field. As it approached I could see a dangling battery and other pieces flapping about.

It turned out that I had lost a blade from the folding prop. (The original motor and prop had recently been replaced by one from a Radian.) The resulting vibration popped the canopy off (which is still in the swamp), shook the battery loose from its two velcro holding strips, rattled the aileron off, and tore the servo out of the wing.

I've attached a photo of the wounded bird below.

I guess most of it is fixable except for a canopy replacement. The luck thing with that is that I didn't mount my Mobius camera on the canopy like I often do!!
Digiflier is offline Find More Posts by Digiflier
Old Today, 03:00 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
5,897 Posts
Canopy is available from HK as spare and cheap but not in stock of course!....
I guess you were lucky to get it down fairly unscathed but its still upsetting.
The radian is a much lighter glider so perhaps the props are softer and not up to the job of pulling the p2k up?
so far I have found stock prop and spinner very good, nice and smooth and enough power, if I were to replace them I would go for a aluminium turbo spinner and carbon props.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield