Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Old Jun 14, 2016, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by silverAG
Joined May 2016
183 Posts
Discussion
Where to store small 1S 3.7V 150-250mAh LiPo batteries?

I currently have 6 LiPo batteries - three 150mAh 3.7V 1S and three 250mAh 3.7V 1S. For now, I keep them in some black LiPo bags I ordered from eBay - 2 of them per bag. But because I am new in all this "removable batteries" thing , I don't tknow how safely to store them. See, I mostly fly FQ777-124, and just before few weeks I get Eachine H8 mini and with it I get several batteries that need to store somehow - so need help and tips how to store these 6 (and maybe more if I buy them) safely? Keeping each in its own bag is not cheap... and not safe too.
Any better solutions and suggestions (maybe some box with compartments or something simmilar)?

Thanks for tips in advance...
silverAG is online now Find More Posts by silverAG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2016, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
5,163 Posts
I store mine in a pill bottle. If I'm not going to use them for a few weeks or more I put that in the fridge.

As long as you don't store them fully charged the chance of a fire just sitting around is negligible, especially with such small batteries.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jun 14, 2016, 08:28 PM
Find More Posts by Rhea
Registered with FAA since 2016
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
2,692 Posts
All of us old phartz must have a lot of pill bottles.
I added a voltmeter to mine. The bottle is stored in the ammo box with the big batteries.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Jun 15, 2016, 02:06 AM
Joined May 2016
183 Posts
This is cool solution - but in case of fire, would pill bottle hold it controlled?
Also, you use one battery per bottle or more?

Putting them in the fridge is safe? I read somewhere that cold air might cause condesation which will "kill" battery quickly

Any more suggestions?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 03:49 AM
Find More Posts by phildardecolmar
Joined Aug 2013
62 Posts
I store all 1S lipos in that lipo charging bag
I also have the larger version for larger lipo packs, mainly 3S 2200Mah
phildardecolmar is offline Find More Posts by phildardecolmar
Old Jun 15, 2016, 05:00 AM
Joined May 2016
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildardecolmar View Post
I store all 1S lipos in that lipo charging bag
I also have some smaller black bags and keep 2 bateries per bag. This is not cheap solution unless I put all 1S in one bag which is not good idea because if one of them catch fire, all others will be destroyed

But obviously bags are preffered solution...

Maybe there is some safe box with compartments where I can safely put all of them and still have each of them in separate "pocket"? Can't find anything simmilar
Old Jun 15, 2016, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverAG View Post
I currently have 6 LiPo batteries - three 150mAh 3.7V 1S and three 250mAh 3.7V 1S. For now, I keep them in some black LiPo bags I ordered from eBay - 2 of them per bag. But because I am new in all this "removable batteries" thing , I don't tknow how safely to store them. See, I mostly fly FQ777-124, and just before few weeks I get Eachine H8 mini and with it I get several batteries that need to store somehow - so need help and tips how to store these 6 (and maybe more if I buy them) safely? Keeping each in its own bag is not cheap... and not safe too.

Why is it not safe to keep each battery in it's own bag? BTW what brand of bag are you using? It appears from several demonstrations that only the original "LiPo Sack" are good to use.

Any better solutions and suggestions (maybe some box with compartments or something simmilar)?

Thanks for tips in advance...
Quote:
I also have some smaller black bags and keep 2 bateries per bag. This is not cheap solution unless I put all 1S in one bag which is not good idea because if one of them catch fire, all others will be destroyed

But obviously bags are preffered solution...

Maybe there is some safe box with compartments where I can safely put all of them and still have each of them in separate "pocket"? Can't find anything simmilar
Many use an army surplus ammo box for storage.

The best piece of safety advice is to not keep the batteries stored fully charged. The should be at about 3.85V/cell. Keep them someplace whter the temperature is relatively cool. If you are comfortable so will be the batteries.

May I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
There is a wealth of information there on the care and feeding of LiPo batteries.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2016
183 Posts
About "Why is it not safe to keep each battery in it's own bag? BTW what brand of bag are you using? It appears from several demonstrations that only the original "LiPo Sack" are good to use." - ah - my bad English

In my sentence to which you replied I meant "and safe too" - somehow I put "not" there (even construction of sentence is bad - should be "but safe" - not "and safe too"... I'll need to work on my English - it is not my native language you know )
But the point is that keeping each in its own bag is the safest method but too expensive
I use some black LiPo bag ordered from eBay (currently can't get to eBay from PC I am writting this, but this is the same product - I just ordered then from eBay and smaller ones (please copy/paste link to browser - clicking won't open - I don't know why!?): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/black-Lipo-explosion-proof-bag-storage-230-300MM-fireproof-lipo-safe-bag-lipo-guard-for-rc/32497562740.html )
Are these OK? And how to know which ones are original bags and which ones are unsecure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Many use an army surplus ammo box for storage.

The best piece of safety advice is to not keep the batteries stored fully charged. The should be at about 3.85V/cell. Keep them someplace whter the temperature is relatively cool. If you are comfortable so will be the batteries.

May I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
There is a wealth of information there on the care and feeding of LiPo batteries.

Glen
I currently have them around 3.7-3.85V and 2 per bage (in 3 bags)... I plan to get some more batteries and obivously I will need to get more bags for now. Link you gave I already checked before when I prepare 2 Lipos for disposal. I'll now check are there any tips about safe storage... Thanks!
Last edited by silverAG; Jun 15, 2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by 9trax95
United States, OH, Lima
Joined Aug 2010
249 Posts
I store mine in my little flight box that I use throughout the winter and sometimes during the summer. Frankly I'm not worried about these small lipos. I've stabbed them with nails before and they don't do much at all. Even a fully charged one just gave a little puff of smoke and barely a hiss and it was over in a couple seconds.

If your worried about them I'd just throw them all in a lipo sack and call it a day. Or buy an ammo can and remove the seal.
9trax95 is offline Find More Posts by 9trax95
Old Jun 15, 2016, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
http://www.sgvhumane.org/
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
13,534 Posts
Quote:
Putting them in the fridge is safe? I read somewhere that cold air might cause condesation which will "kill" battery quickly
Depends on where you live. I live in CA, not much humidity. I could throw them in the fridge as-is but I use a ziploc bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9trax95 View Post
Frankly I'm not worried about these small lipos. I've stabbed them with nails before and they don't do much at all. Even a fully charged one just gave a little puff of smoke and barely a hiss and it was over in a couple seconds.
Exactly. A lipo's released thermal energy is dependent on the capacity and the state of charge. A little 150-250 mAh cell isn't something worth sweating over. If they're at storage charge, then less so.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jun 15, 2016, 09:34 AM
Joined May 2016
183 Posts
That's what I want to hear!
I mean, nowhere I can't find any recommendations for 1 cell 150-250mAh Lipos. Everyone always give examples of fire hazard for over 500mAh batteries and how to store them - but nobody care or have concrete tips for small ones...

OK - I'll stick to those black bags I have (if anybody can confirm they are OK) for these small lipos I have (and plan to get more). I hope it will be OK solution as long as they are in storage voltage and because, as I can read here, they are rather safe because of small voltage and small capacity.

Many thanks to all!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
23,075 Posts
Size doesn't make as much difference as where they are stored and at what voltage they are stored at.
A 5000mah pack in a vented steel fire safe container will just smoke up the house.
A fully charged 50mah pack on a pile of papers may burn the house down.

Look at it as, what if that pack went off, what would happen? The guys you see with dozens of packs stored in the open in a room give me the jitters. If one of those went off it could be an inferno depending on the state of charge

Lipo bags-
Some are no better than a paper sack. Look for ones that have been tested with the size lipos you plan storing in them. The original and best IMO is the LipoSack. (liposack.com).

Personally, I'd put them in a vented metal tool box/cash box/etc.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 15, 2016, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by Rhea
Registered with FAA since 2016
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
2,692 Posts
Quote:
. . . . . OK - I'll stick to those black bags I have (if anybody can confirm they are OK) . . . . . .
Black bags? Do you mean antistatic (electrically conductive) bags used for transporting electronic parts.
Probably won't cause the batteries to drain because no parts of the connector contacts will touch the bag but if you want to use a bag, a Ziplock would be OK.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Jun 15, 2016, 04:28 PM
Joined May 2014
5,163 Posts
Quote:
This is cool solution - but in case of fire, would pill bottle hold it controlled?
Also, you use one battery per bottle or more?

Any more suggestions?

No a pill bottle won't hold a fire, but a cell at storage charge is not going to catch fire, especially a small one. There is just not enough energy in it for that to happen. I have not heard of one single instance of a small 1S LiPo catching fire in storage, none, never, it just doesn't happen.

I put them all in the bottle, as mentioned above they're not fully charged, they're not going to do anything.

Why would condensation kill a battery? Pure water as found in condensation is a rather good insulator, and the batteries are sealed in an airtight container. Chemical reactions slow at low temperature, including the reactions that cause the cell to degrade. If by some crazy set of circumstances a whole bottle of LiPos somehow go thermal while inside the refrigerator they're on a glass shelf inside an insulated metal box, I can't think of a lot of safer places in my house other than maybe storing them in the fireplace with the flue open.

Anyway I've been doing this for years, never had a problem, YMMV but you're being paranoid.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 04:31 PM
Joined May 2014
5,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
Black bags? Do you mean antistatic (electrically conductive) bags used for transporting electronic parts.
Probably won't cause the batteries to drain because no parts of the connector contacts will touch the bag but if you want to use a bag, a Ziplock would be OK.
Those electrically conductive bags are only conductive enough to dissipate static. I've checked before and couldn't detect any sort of conduction with the most sensitive multimeter I have. I have no real data but the resistance is clearly very high, I don't think you could drain a battery with one if you tried.

No real sense in storing batteries in them unless it's just a conveniently sized bag you happen to have on hand though.