Old May 17, 2016, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Agalloch
Joined Jun 2013
338 Posts
Discussion
Using a relay with hobbyking remote multi controlled switch

Hi, i want to put a pretty strong led in the front of my fpv plane, Ive found this from hobbyking but i read it pulls about 0.8 amp, and all the channels on the multiswitch states max 0.5 amp.

I was thinking about connecting the multiswitch to trigger a electric relay and have the relay to a 12 battery plug which then will power the led i will get, Now i have never used a relay in any way does anyone have a idea of how to connect it and which relay to get? id say a 12v 1amp or a 3-5 amp relay is fine.

Even when reading a relay's PDF about information how to wire it theres not really anything at all, no help given so they count on u being a electrician to use one?

Thanks for any help or tips!
Agalloch is offline Find More Posts by Agalloch
Last edited by Agalloch; May 17, 2016 at 12:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2016, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,432 Posts
A relay with five pins is common to see.

Output from the HK switch would go to the coil. Power from the battery would go to the "In" and get turned on as you desire when contact is made with the NC or NO. When power flows through the coil it pulls the arm towards the coil.

http://www.gomog.com/BLAIR/tech/elec.../Schematic.jpg

You need a relay that the coil is rated for the voltage the HK switch is putting out and the contacts are rated for the voltage and current of the LED.

That LED says 5.3 to 7V and comments say it worked up to 9. 12V battery is too much.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Last edited by davidmc36; May 17, 2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old May 17, 2016, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Agalloch
Joined Jun 2013
338 Posts
What about the ground to the coil? Two different since both the multiswitch and the power from the batt needs ground?
Agalloch is offline Find More Posts by Agalloch
Old May 17, 2016, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by davidmc36
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
5,432 Posts
Coil grounds wherever you would ground a light had you been using something within 0.5 amps.

Your LED would be separate circuit. Battery-Relay Contacts-LED-Battery
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jul 12, 2016, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by MikeRoper
Joined Jul 2007
6 Posts
Relays can be unreliable, and a little costly. Why not use a transistor? A pair of 2N2222As in parallel would handle 1600 mA. One would probably be enough if heat-sinked. I addressed exactly this problem in this manner. In this case, you need to drive the base with enough current. Most 2N2222s have a gain of about 80, so the base drive should be about 10 ma. You will need a current limiting resistor, depending on your drive voltage. The forward bias voltage for a small signal transistor is about .5 V, so the current limiting resistor would be (supply voltage -.5)/0.010A, or about 1000 ohms. You might need to play around with the resistor to get the desired amount of light. The placement in the circuit would depend on the transistor. A 2N2222 is an npn transistor. Its pnp counterpart is the 2N3906. If interested, I can provide the circuit.
MikeRoper is offline Find More Posts by MikeRoper