SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:24 PM
Barcelona (Spain)
Joined Sep 2004
15 Posts
Help!
From plan to plane

Hi there,

Let's say I have a 3d view of a real plane which I would like to build in scale.
Should I use the exact measurements down to the scale I want or are there any minor changes I should do here and there so my model will fly better? I have read that some people enlarge rudder, horizontal stabs or wings ... but how can I know what to change and how big the change has to be? How can I take does decisions in the benefit of better flight?
Any help would be highly appreciated ...

Thanks to all who take the patience to answer to newbies like myslef!
Cheers from Spain.
Mauri is offline Find More Posts by Mauri
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:38 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,578 Posts
Please don't post identical questions in six different forums at once. Answered in one of the others.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 27, 2006, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
First thing is: what plane are you considering? There's a big possibility someone has done it already.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:53 AM
Joined Oct 2004
147 Posts
Scale design?

Good Question. Ian's right though, try to find if someone's already done it first!

Usually it depends on the airplane. Idealy you want the the center of the wing to the wing tip to be the same distance as the center of the wing to the center of the stab. The stab should be 1/3 the area of the wing and the rudder should be 1/4 the area. Dihedral should be 1" per foot of span. An airplane without these specks can be changed but sometimes that can ruin the look of the airplane. Enlarging the stab and rudder and increasing wing dihedral is a good start. See the attached file from Don Ross's book.

I hope this helps!

Good luck,

Tom
buildawyvern is offline Find More Posts by buildawyvern
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Mar 2005
506 Posts
Ok, I'm going to have to put a caveat to the design stuff by Ross. While I agree that what you see there makes for a great all-weather model, most of my planes differ either side of the proportions of that thing and fly fine. And what you see up there is far from optimized. A maximum performance design will have at least 50% more tail volume. Don't ask how I know this...
jwfinn is offline Find More Posts by jwfinn