HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2014, 09:58 AM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
Discussion
Transparent Monokote Paint Match

I'm getting ready to do a set of Super Hawk wings in Transparent red or orange and want to make the fuse the same color. Is there a paint match for Transparent Monokote?

Thanks
Maurice
mpodder is online now Find More Posts by mpodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2014, 01:55 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodder View Post
I'm getting ready to do a set of Super Hawk wings in Transparent red or orange and want to make the fuse the same color. Is there a paint match for Transparent Monokote?

Thanks
Maurice
Maurice,

Nope, ... And if you call them, they will tell you their Lustrekote spray paint, ... won't match either. The only thing I have been able to do is color match the paint when mixing for a custom match to spray with a gun.

Bill
MicroRotors is offline Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:04 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
Thanks Bill. What about their statement of being able to scuff and paint with Lustrekote for trim? I could do the wings and tails in transparent red, the fuse in white and trim with Lustrekote to match.

Maurice
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:20 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Bill. What about their statement of being able to scuff and paint with Lustrekote for trim? I could do the wings and tails in transparent red, the fuse in white and trim with Lustrekote to match.

Maurice
The only covering I have painted was solartex.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2014, 04:49 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
677 Posts
How about a custom hot rod candy color?
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:02 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors View Post
The only covering I have painted was solartex.
Ya me to and I have never been good at doing a curved trim piece. Plus on the Hobie style wings I have to flatten to put on the top piece tacking the leading and trailing edge only. Then put on the top trim on the leading edge and root area, take off the weights releasing the wing and start shrinking with the heat gun hoping it will all look right. That's why I was thinking about painting the trim. I'm only putting it on the top.

Any ideas?
Maurice
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:09 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,650 Posts
Quote:
Ya me to and I have never been good at doing a curved trim piece. Plus on the Hobie style wings I have to flatten to put on the top piece tacking the leading and trailing edge only. Then put on the top trim on the leading edge and root area, take off the weights releasing the wing and start shrinking with the heat gun hoping it will all look right. That's why I was thinking about painting the trim. I'm only putting it on the top.

Any ideas?
Maurice
Maurice,

If you have some primary colors and a gun, ... see what you can match. The real problem is the transparency color. it changes with light conditions. OR, ... pick another color.

If your doing a Hobie or any under-cambered wing, ... You want that heat gun in the next room and nowhere near that wing. The heat gun will shrink the covering causing it to detach from the ribs on the underside of the wing.

Wings like that can only be done with a sock covered iron along with a a mitt on the hand.

Regards
Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:31 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors View Post
Wings like that can only be done with a sock covered iron along with a a mitt on the hand.
Bill
Ya Bill! The instructions say heat gun on the top and iron and sock on the bottom. But I didn't think of the glove. Are you suggesting though to use the iron and sock on the top as well? The reason I ask is they say on the top just to stick the leading and trailing edge and then shrink after releasing the wing.

What do you think
Maurice

BTW: My wife grew up in Apple Valley and we had a house on Navajo. Desert rats always seem to find each other
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:52 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,650 Posts
Hi Maurice,

I'm a desert transplant, I grew up on the Torrance/Redondo boarder. Disperia is where I landed, ...

I would use a iron and sock on both sides ONCE the covering is stuck. The real problem is the air in the wing gets hot and builds up pressure and pops the bottom off the ribs awhile shrinking. Once it's popped off and shrunk, there is no way of reattaching it. If you use the iron, do two ribs at a time while hold the iron span wise to the wing. I know the manual says use a gun, but trust me, ... the iron will be safer and give you a nice finish. I have coverd undercamber wings and used a heat gun but more often than not, areas did pop off the ribs. If your a gambling man, use the gun, ... If you want to play it safe, stick with the iron.

The mitt will help you put downward pressure on the covering without burning the palm of your hand, ... Ask me how I know this, ...

Regards
Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:43 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,099 Posts
No! No! I want ask! Oh come on tell me I just can't take the suspense
Maurice