HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Discussion
Forrestfield Flyers...Perth

G'day guy's, well here it is our very own thread,fell free to chime in,post photo's and links and what ever floats ya boats.

We are a group of blokes Alan Kurt and myself Jeff that get together on the w/ends and the w/days ta fly just a casual thing and we now have an old friend of mine who I haven't seen in years,Chris who's just joined us,anyway we fly on the NE end of Pionner Park, Dawson Ave ,Forrestfield,there is a small amount of parking at the entrance and theres parking across the road aswell.
Some site's to look at-
http://www.rctrader.com/index.php
this is a good place to start looking for bargins,and another good place to hunt out a bargin is gumtree
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-miscella...c18319l3008303
this where I find heaps of good stuff also be weary of the cons,they say cheap where in fact you can find it cheaper yourself.
This is where ya can get Skywing planes from,
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/default.asp
I'll add things as we go..
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Last edited by 1st timer; May 12, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:14 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
0730...arrived at the field and for once this week the wind was almost dead as a door nail,anyway only flying the usual Skywing Extra 300L, um 342Sbach and for it's maiden flight my 59" 3dhs Slick...it's going to be a good day 1st flight ta get rid of the dumb thumbs was the Sbach,no probs there... the thing almost flies itself,next was the Extra for a few batteries and then it was about 0830 that the wind started up,but it was only a light breeze but it was the Slick's turn to go up and I was nervous as,the wind put's me off for sum reason but we went up anyway...with not a problem at all!!
The Slick performed very nice indeed..the Hyperion engine performed better than first thought with only 543kv on 5s spinning a 15x8 prop it had more than enough power and the whole package temp came down at only 51*C....so for now,I'm a happy camper
later
Last edited by 1st timer; Jan 22, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:41 AM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
When we got there this morning we noticed that someone had cut what looked like landing strips on the field in different directions I flew the UMX Sbach 3d and Beast 3d but im fanging to get the UMX Mig15 down there for its maiden.

Top flying field Geoff and congrats on your Slick's successful maiden flight.

Big prop balancer
Kurtus is offline Find More Posts by Kurtus
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:06 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
My my...that's a nice assortment of mini aircraft ya got there Kurtus.You could balance 20" props on that
Yeah....it's strange that the council is so considerate of our needs,that they forgot to do the rest of the oval funny that.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:59 AM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
My my...that's a nice assortment of mini aircraft ya got there Kurtus.You could balance 20" props on that
Yeah....it's strange that the council is so considerate of our needs,that they forgot to do the rest of the oval funny that.
Yeah its a bit tall but i intend to mod it soon and make it look a bit more techy.

Check this out... was looking for a foam case for the DX7s and stumbled across this SCA case at a local cheap auto parts shop.

SCA Safe Case
345x290x145mm
$35
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:42 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Cool...I've been looking at Pelican cases only late week,which SCA did you acquired it from and is it plusk and pull?
Does it have enough depth left on the bottom to cushion it from impacts?
did they have other sizes?
Last edited by 1st timer; Jan 22, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:23 AM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
SCA Belmont 171 Abernethy rd.

I looked up these cases on SCA web site and they arent there so youd have to ring Belmont or Vic Pk. for sizes and also to check stock as theyll be popular i guess for a lot of uses. It looked like there were bigger and smaller then what i bought and they werent in the isle with the rest of the tool cases and bags but right at the end around the corner.

Its got 10mm of foam at the bottom and dimple foam in the lid which isnt a lot for severe abuse but itll do for general transport i think. The cut outs is 1/2" squares with a solid 3/4" border. I dont think the squares that are left for support will hold together and eventually seperate so im thinking about a few solutions for that.

I used a scaple to cut the guts out

The foam is the only thing im sus on and wonder if its proper high quality stuff but if worst comes it can be replaced.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:55 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
I used a scaple to cut the guts out

The foam is the only thing im sus on and wonder if its proper high quality stuff but if worst comes it can be replaced.[/QUOTE]

I got a reply from the Perth dealer of pelican with a quote of 400 odd bucks w.t.f, I looked online and can get it for about $150del..
You can also get the foam inserts for the cases separtely..didn't (forgot )
to look at the price
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:42 PM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
I got a reply from the Perth dealer of pelican with a quote of 400 odd bucks w.t.f, I looked online and can get it for about $150del..
You can also get the foam inserts for the cases separtely..didn't (forgot )
to look at the price
Same here but $220 looks like better quality all round though. If i had a mega expensive prime lens id be getting the Pelican.

All the foam pinch and pull inserts i looked at including Pelicans appear to be the same material except for one which has hexagon shaped pulls but also looked like the same material. I have looked at some forums and all said that the pull stuff is delicate and comes apart eventually. Some have tried to cover with felt etc. or to go down to clarks rubber with templates and buy a block of quality closed cell foam or whatever else might suit and get it cut to shape.

Just got off the phone with Clarks and they told me they have different density closed cell foams to suit heavy and light uses including case cutouts. Bring the case and item to store (except guns she said) or a template. Looks good sofar so ill probably go down to Kelmscott Clarks on friday morning.

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/foam-a...alty-foam.html
Last edited by Kurtus; Jan 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
387 Posts
Does that mean the council owes me money for mowing?
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:13 PM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
221 Posts
Hi Shirty thanks for that and hoping for a fly there this weekend.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:31 AM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012
387 Posts
Any pics from sat yet?
Shirty is offline Find More Posts by Shirty
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:14 PM
Aussies fly Down Under!
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2012