HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,454 Posts
Discussion
Why are multicopters more popular than coaxials?

I am active in the multicopter forum and it is crazy busy with people spending many thousands of dollars on multis for video, still photography or fun.

Coaxials seem stable, easy to fly and far cheaper. So, compared to a coaxial, why is the multi so popular?

Do coaxials make lousy camera platforms?
milo12 is offline Find More Posts by milo12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Your observations are right on. And yes, counter rotating coax copters make really crappy camera ships.

The coax's are very sluggish in general and do not pitch and roll with any authority. There are a few exceptions probably. Multi's are great since they have inherent stabilization built in.

I fly AP on a standard 450 copter. It's good for flying fast and free vid but slowing it down to do those intimate style videos can be very hard. The multis are great with the slow smooth hover!

Cheers, Martini
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:39 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Hmm, I'd say you're nuts but maybe we aren't talking about the same thing.

Small cheap coaxials are everywhere, leading millions from 14 to 114 to R/C helis for a ton of fun without turning their lives (and fortunes) over to it. The investment required is so low you can get bored tomorrow, shove it back in the box, and shelve it with no remorse. As little as $20 gets you into a decent coax heli, $30 gets you into non-IR outdoor models so there is no pressure to acquire a shop full of tools to keep them on life support. Fix 'em or toss 'em, your choice.

Perhaps you're talking about the devoted "classic hobbyist" though, the type for whom the LHS holds the second mortgage on his home. The guy who doesn't really care that much about flying but would rather spend his time in the basement shop repairing, modding, tweaking, and otherwise avoiding the sun?

There is no doubt there are at least two very different worlds flying two very different coaxial heli products. Too bad there aren't separate forums to help avoid confusion.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
Known Wind User
USA, ID
Joined Jun 2004
254 Posts
Too bad coax copters are not good for carrying a camera in the wind.

They are awesome in many respects, especially in helping you learn to fly.

Cheers
Martini is offline Find More Posts by Martini
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,454 Posts
Yes you are correct, there are millions of cheap toy coaxials. I wasn't referring to those as they are mainly flown by people that can't even spell coaxial and care nothing about RC, AP or AV. They just thought it looked cool and was cheap enough to drop some money on.

If you look at forum activity, the multi copter forum is over 10 times as active as the coaxial forum. Obviously among RC enthusiasts multis attract more interest than coaxials.

My question is more about why is a coaxial is a lousy camera platform? The cheap toy coaxials are not a good metric of coaxial performance. Does anyone make a decent size well engineered coaxial?

I have flown many multis and they are not magic carpets. They are lousy in wind and very inefficient. Most multis fly around 6-8 minutes. I also have flown RC helicopters and of course they are way better flying vehicles than a multi.

It seems with the larger rotors a coaxial could be made more efficient than a multi. The big attraction to multis is they are mechanically simple and in the event of a crash they can be repaired quickly and cheaply, many times just a prop.

Back to the question. Are there "professional" grade coaxials. I have not seen one. The multi market has proven there is no shortage of people that will spend many thousands on a flying aerial platform. I have 4 controllers for multis, some costing a couple grand. It seems like a waste of money if a properly designed coaxial could do the same job.
milo12 is offline Find More Posts by milo12
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:12 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I have seen some very good coaxes, but they are mechanically very complex and expensive. They seem to be more of a novelty than anything else. RunRyder.com had some videos of them.

Anyway, as for multi-rotors being more popular; I started with an ESky Lama V4 coax, I really liked it. I bouhgt several more over time. I switched to single rotor FP then CP helis. Just recently I switched to quads. The reason is parts. I have over $2000 worth of helis I can't get parts for. Lots of these helis aren't available for long, two years is about it; some are obsolete in 3 - 4 months. With quads, I'm not dependent on any mechanical parts. The only bad thing about quads is all the damned soldering.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Jun 23, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:05 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
deleted
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:22 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,623 Posts
apples & pineapples

The multis are more popular in these forums because most of these low-cost coaxs are intended for the mass-mkt buy&fly/kiddie-toy buyer. That real-world worldwide market is MUCH larger than that of the far more expensive multis, however those toy buyers normally don't have any reason to even think about RCGroups.

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee