HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
Discussion
Trouble Programming RDS8000

I am trying to program my Easy Star with my RDS 8000. It is giving me fits. First I'll tell you my story of a Noob fumbling:

I plug in the servos into receiver and turn it on to get the servos centered. I attach the arms then glue the servos into place. When I turn the receiver on again they are servos moved to an extreme angle dislodging the horn on the rudder. I had to debond the servos from the Easystars fuselage and re-center the arms. Then readjust everything to be aligned. When I went to fine tune the trim, I realized the servos being upside down need to be reversed. When I switch reverse on the servo in the RDS 8000, once again the servos switch centered location to an extreme angle, one that I am unable to get centered by using the trim.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions besides debonding and repositioning the arms then re-gluing? I had just poured more glue behind the servo to make its bond firmer. Will all this gluing, debonding and re-gluing take an affect on the styrofoams integrity?
photopilot is offline Find More Posts by photopilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:36 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
I am trying to program my Easy Star with my RDS 8000. It is giving me fits. First I'll tell you my story of a Noob fumbling:

I plug in the servos into receiver and turn it on to get the servos centered. I attach the arms then glue the servos into place. When I turn the receiver on again they are servos moved to an extreme angle dislodging the horn on the rudder. I had to debond the servos from the Easystars fuselage and re-center the arms. Then readjust everything to be aligned. When I went to fine tune the trim, I realized the servos being upside down need to be reversed. When I switch reverse on the servo in the RDS 8000, once again the servos switch centered location to an extreme angle, one that I am unable to get centered by using the trim.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions besides debonding and repositioning the arms then re-gluing? I had just poured more glue behind the servo to make its bond firmer. Will all this gluing, debonding and re-gluing take an affect on the styrofoams integrity?
Geez, where to start!!! I used an RDS8000 for 2 years and it was one of the easiest transmitters to set a plane up on. When you say "extreme angle" are you saying that when you turn the receiver on the servo arms go to their furthest movement possible and stay there??? It doesn't sound like the transmitter and receiver are bound properly. It's hard to make assumptions with the little bit of info that was given us but have you used this radio before?? What receiver are you using??
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy8s View Post
have you used this radio before?? What receiver are you using??
No I bought it a few years ago but have never used it. I am using the RX500 receiver. I flew an RC glider so long ago, consider me a complete Noob.

Quote:
When you say "extreme angle" are you saying that when you turn the receiver on the servo arms go to their furthest movement possible and stay there???
Not the furthest as in the extreme throw of the arm. But I have the arm centered on the servo in normal mode. When I switch to reverse it goes to an extreme angle as it's new home. On one of the two servos it's position moves so far I am unable to get it centered even using the center mode in the settings.

Quote:
It doesn't sound like the transmitter and receiver are bound properly. ?
Not sure how to check that, but everything seems to be working otherwise. Except for needing to reverse the servos and them changing the center position when I do so, all functions seem to working properly. The ESC, rudder and elevator all move as they should, in both normal and reverse.

Is there a way to test the parameters of my binding? How about a suggestion on resetting on configuring it differently on another model # in the Transmitter?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
When you center a servo arm, you must also switch TX on with both trim and subtrim zeroed (centered).

If not, servo arm will move to a different position when TX is turned on.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Yes, John is correct and beat me to this one. I should have asked you this in my first post but it was so basic that it never occured to me! You absolutely MUST verify that the servos have their trims centered before you can start to set a plane up. It's easy to verify on your radio as it is aleays displayed on the LCD. If you used the trim tab to "center" your servo arm after you installed it in a plane then when you reverse that servo it also reverses all of the trim that you dialed in.
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
After servos are electrically and mechanically centered, airplane control surface must be mechanically adjusted to neutral with servo in centered position. Don't move servo arm. It must remain in centered position.

After the set up, take the plane up and adjust trims in flight.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
When you center a servo arm, you must also switch TX on with both trim and subtrim zeroed (centered).

If not, servo arm will move to a different position when TX is turned on.
This is pretty much what i did the second time after having to remove the servos the first time. I am pretty sure after screwing up the first time I got it right, almost. My guess is that I was using the transmitter settings for "airplane 1" from an Easyglider I had tried to fly (but failed) when I first got the radio.

I set the transmitter to airplane 3 and turned it on and the servos were way out of line again. On the easystar the servos are mounted into the fuselage and can't really be altered. I tried debonding them again but they were in too well. So I just pierced the bottom of the plane with a small screwdriver and was able to find the servo screw, remove and replace the arm in the correct position. It's now centered calibrated and ready for its maiden voyage and trim flight. Thanks guys.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
More Programming questions

I have got the radio tuned in now for my existing glider and plane and yes it is easy to program.

I am looking at future setups. I have two gliders I am working on. One is a Alula and the other is a Mini-blade.

Do I need a 6 channel or greater receiver to work with a dual servo aileron setup?

Would the Alula work with a park flyer RX or do I need a full range one?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
More Programming questions

I have got the radio tuned in now for my existing glider and plane and yes it is easy to program.

I am looking at future setups. I have two gliders I am working on. One is a Alula and the other is a Mini-blade.

Do I need a 6 channel or greater receiver to work with a dual servo aileron setup?

Would the Alula work with a park flyer RX or do I need a full range one?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,917 Posts
I don't think I would ever use a park flier rcvr in a sailplane. It is too hard to give up a good thermal until visibility becomes an issue.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2008
128 Posts
These planes seem so small I feel that out of sight is not very far away. The Alulas and Weasels I have seen have usually been flown within a 100 feet of the pilot.

Turns out its a moot point as the receiver I thought I was getting cheap is not the 4 channel short range one but a 5 channel full range one.