HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:48 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
The wind is finally suppose to be only like 2mph this evening after I get off work so hopefully i can finally maiden mine. Crossing my fingers. lol
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:44 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,245 Posts
Sabre continues to impress!

I went to indoor flying locally here last night hoping for some clear air to try indoor flying with the Sabre but it was Crazytown like usual. Big, heavy EPP 3D shockies crashing into each other non-stop. Bits and pieces flying everywhere... I tried mixing it with them by flying high and staying close to the walls with a Micro Mustang but I still got taken out. So that told me to wait a little longer for my first indoor flight. No use risking things.

I made half a dozen more flights this morning out at the field. Wind varied but did little to interfere with the models flying. Continuous loops, inverted laps and low fly-by's. Mix that with clear blue skies and fun chat about the indoors carnage last night made for a great morning at the field.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:50 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I went to indoor flying locally here last night hoping for some clear air to try indoor flying with the Sabre but it was Crazytown like usual. Big, heavy EPP 3D shockies crashing into each other non-stop. Bits and pieces flying everywhere... I tried mixing it with them by flying high and staying close to the walls with a Micro Mustang but I still got taken out. So that told me to wait a little longer for my first indoor flight. No use risking things.

I made half a dozen more flights this morning out at the field. Wind varied but did little to interfere with the models flying. Continuous loops, inverted laps and low fly-by's. Mix that with clear blue skies and fun chat about the indoors carnage last night made for a great morning at the field.
At least some one is getting some flying in.. All I'm getting in is yard work..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:27 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
At least some one is getting some flying in.. All I'm getting in is yard work..
And the wind!!!...Supposed to be 20-30mph with higher gusts tomorrow!!!...All I can do is yard work---...And fly an MSR in the house...The dog hates this heli--So much that he will hide until he hears it no more!!!...I can't help it if the heli has a "mind of its own" and chases to dog down...Funny, he LIKES when airplanes chase him but can't stand the helis...Charlie has such a rough life!!!...NOT!!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,045 Posts
Mine still flies
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Mine still flies

Both mine still do, I think,, just that we haven't.. I have another load of 180 paving bricks to unload from the truck tonight..
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:12 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,528 Posts
Ed's Great Planes micro F-86 Sabre EDF Jet in action!

Hi guys,

Just sharing a video showing a nice gathering of good friends and capturing Ed's new Great Planes micro F-86 Sabre EDF Jet in action.

Hope you all enjoy!

Now for the Video!

Great Planes F-86 Micro Sabre EDF Jet 04-15-2012 (2 min 49 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, CT, Meriden
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Hi guys, I am brand new to the forum and new to the f-86 sabre. I just received my sabre from towerhobbies on Friday along with the cable to use with my DX8 and 3 250 mah lipos. I was a little surprised when it didn't come with one of the 250 mah lipos like I had read on this forum. We had a perfect 70 degree day with very little wind here in Connecticut, so I decided to maiden the little jet today. As you can tell from the pictures I didn't get very far. I used the 250 mah lipo that tower recommended for the jet and placed it all the way forward like I read on this forum. I launched the jet into a very light 2-3mph wind while holding the throttle at about 80%.....and the jet basically went nose straight up to the sky (about 10 feet) and then came right down nose first. It seemed like the weight of the lipo just tore right through the nose of the jet. I repaired it and went back out a couple of hours later and the same exact thing happened except this time I had more damage (pictures are after the second crash). Any suggestions on what may be causing this (I made sure that all servos were moving in the proper direction)? Also do you think my shotty repair work is going to make the jet unflyable?? (I have a micro t-28 and brushless p-51...never crashed either of them). I am off tomorrow and will make another attempt this time with a camera recording so that if the same thing happens it may be easier to point out what I'm doing wrong.
salmans21 is offline Find More Posts by salmans21
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmans21 View Post
Hi guys, I am brand new to the forum and new to the f-86 sabre. I just received my sabre from towerhobbies on Friday along with the cable to use with my DX8 and 3 250 mah lipos. I was a little surprised when it didn't come with one of the 250 mah lipos like I had read on this forum. We had a perfect 70 degree day with very little wind here in Connecticut, so I decided to maiden the little jet today. As you can tell from the pictures I didn't get very far. I used the 250 mah lipo that tower recommended for the jet and placed it all the way forward like I read on this forum. I launched the jet into a very light 2-3mph wind while holding the throttle at about 80%.....and the jet basically went nose straight up to the sky (about 10 feet) and then came right down nose first. It seemed like the weight of the lipo just tore right through the nose of the jet. I repaired it and went back out a couple of hours later and the same exact thing happened except this time I had more damage (pictures are after the second crash). Any suggestions on what may be causing this (I made sure that all servos were moving in the proper direction)? Also do you think my shotty repair work is going to make the jet unflyable?? (I have a micro t-28 and brushless p-51...never crashed either of them). I am off tomorrow and will make another attempt this time with a camera recording so that if the same thing happens it may be easier to point out what I'm doing wrong.
Only using 80% throttle for take off was a mistake a BIG mistake, and not a fast enough toss and maybe not at the horizon like it needs to be. It will not fly without air speed, it will pitch up and stall and what is the weight of the battery you are using?? Did you check the CG location was where it should be as in our users manual NOT the GP manual?. Also I think you didn't have the battery Velcro down very well as mine has never moved. You didn't get any battery in the box with the plane??
Last edited by livonia bob; Apr 15, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
I will definitely try a full throttle launch tomorrow. I just watched the video you posted and your launch was perfect!!! I threw mine at more of an upward angle it looked like you threw yours a lot harder than I did and a lot straighter!!! I installed Velcro on the battery after my first crash when the battery went flying out but I removed it because of what you see in the picture. I wasn't able to close the canopy with the added height of the Velcro. How did you do it?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:03 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,528 Posts
Salmans21,

Did you see my Video showing Ed tossing his?

Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Only using 80% throttle for take off was a mistake a BIG mistake, and not a fast enough toss and maybe not at the horizon like it needs to be. It will not fly without air speed, it will pitch up and stall and what is the weight of the battery you are using?? Did you check the CG location was where it should be as in our users manual NOT the GP manual?. Also I think you didn't have the battery Velcro down very well as mine has never moved. You didn't get any battery in the box with the plane??
Where can I find your version of the manual? What is the best way to measure CG? (I've never measured CG on any of my planes)

(I did get the standard 200mah lipo with my sabre....I read on here that some people were getting a 250 mah lipo with their jets.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Mar 2012
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Salmans21,

Did you see my Video showing Ed tossing his?

Carlos
Just saw the video...that toss was 100% different than the way I did it. My results were also 100% different :-) thanks for the really good quality video!!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,245 Posts
Nice video and Ed looks like a very happy chappy! Thanks for sharing.

Users Manual
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmans21 View Post
Where can I find your version of the manual? What is the best way to measure CG? (I've never measured CG on any of my planes)

(I did get the standard 200mah lipo with my sabre....I read on here that some people were getting a 250 mah lipo with their jets.
It's on the other thread..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1594808&pp=100

CG is very important on this plane as is keeping the airspeed up at all times..

My first one came with a dead 200,, the second one came with the 250 which is what I flew it in the #2 maiden flight video. I pick up both of them from my local hobby shop. First one was from the first batch, second one from the second or third batch from GP..

I prefer to use the NanoTech 300's..

Use the CLEAR - TRANSPARENT VELCRO it's much thinner than the normal stuff and the batteries fit with no problem..

You should of placed your order and then spent the time waiting for it reading the threads on here to better prepare yourself for your first flight.. There are lots for crash on first flights to read about.. And also the fixes we all have come up with..
Last edited by livonia bob; Apr 15, 2012 at 09:35 PM.