HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,726 Posts
ZB,
What is the hold up on the Albatros 2.4S/E from Esprit Model?
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Any news on that bird...?

I am about to get one of these. I downloaded the manual, and boy... its very dense and not for a novice builder.
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
So, here it is...!

Great quality, very light (693gr) empty.
Old May 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
So...! Lets get down to work.

Cut out covering, test fitted blocks and servos (watch for orientation before finalizing). I marked them with a pen, sand them a little for better grab and glue them.
Old May 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Plywood part to be next, where the wing will bolt on, on the rear side. Test fit and measure where exactly it should be. Then glue.
Old May 06, 2012, 01:44 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Servo tray and blind nuts glued in place

Firewall also glued and motor installed. I used a turnigy outrunner, but seemed that cables were rubbing on motor case. I drilled 2 holes on the fuselage and put through a steel pin holding the cables away
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:48 PM
Maitland, FL
Joined Jun 2009
18 Posts
Progress on you Albatros?

I just started work on my Albatros 2.4 and wondered how you were doing.
How do you plan to keep the wing servos in place?
Will you make some vent holes in the fuselage for cooling air flow?
I have not decided on a motor yet - maybe an Axi or the MVVS, but definitely not an Eflite 25 because that draws too much current in my converted Gemini (11x7 prop).
SoarT is offline Find More Posts by SoarT
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:52 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
I have already flown the plane a couple of times now and flies really good. I had an.experienced pilot trim it and now I enjoy it.

I wraped the servos with electrical tape, fit them snug into the epoxy holders that were included, and glued the down with cyano. By this, you can cut out the tape and easily take out the servo.

No, I didn't cut the fuse, even if the power system gets heat up a bit, a 30second run won't hurt that much. It will cool down up there.

I had a problem with the right aileron, where, when it was straight to the flap actually it was not in its neutral position, as it had a gap on the outer wing. When got it straight to the outer wing it tracked down perfectly.

Good luck on your build, and I ll be here to answer your questions.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
i would like to get one of these and make it electric. Can anyone tell me where i can get one in the US? does Esprit has any? i cant seem to get any responses.
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined May 2010
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
i would like to get one of these and make it electric. Can anyone tell me where i can get one in the US? does Esprit has any? i cant seem to get any responses.
This is it Esprit should have them
http://www.espritmodel.com/albatros-2-4s-e-arf.aspx
WallsRoofing71 is offline Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:36 AM
USA, FL, Clearwater
Joined Dec 2007
695 Posts
Thanks wallsroofing71..Do you think this is easy to convert to Electric. I'm not so great of a builder. i bought a large 96" Foamy Glider from nitro planes but it's RTF.....here's a video clip but now i want to get out of the foamy and get into more material like what Esprit has. Something light too. Under 70ounces RTF Weight.
i like my Large Foamy but i cant imagine how that Albatros 2.4 will Fly compared to mine...what do you think..is it a night and day difference in Flying experience?

ArtTech Diamond 2500 Glider (2 min 31 sec)
rhampton is offline Find More Posts by rhampton
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined May 2010
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhampton View Post
Thanks wallsroofing71..Do you think this is easy to convert to Electric. I'm not so great of a builder. i bought a large 96" Foamy Glider from nitro planes but it's RTF.....here's a video clip but now i want to get out of the foamy and get into more material like what Esprit has. Something light too. Under 70ounces RTF Weight.
i like my Large Foamy but i cant imagine how that Albatros 2.4 will Fly compared to mine...what do you think..is it a night and day difference in Flying experience?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rg1WxvhMjY
I think you will be very happy with any of the Topmodels in the Albatros line of gliders. Esprit can cut the nose off and mount a motor mount in the nose for you for $25.00. If I were to buy one I would spend the money and let them put the motor mount in for me. Yes it is a night and day when you go to something like an Albatros you will be very happy.
WallsRoofing71 is offline Find More Posts by WallsRoofing71
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined May 2010
1,694 Posts
We finally made nice video, this thing flies like a dream.

Zb/Esprit Model

MVVS 4.6/840 motor
Jeti pro 40 SB
TP2700 3S battery
Aeronaut 16x8 prop

Esprit Model Albatros 2.75E (2 min 27 sec)
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
I don't care what anyone sais; transparent blue and white are very visible. Even in a partly cloudy sky.

Pretty bird, you had any luck thermaling it yet? That is after all what it was designd for
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallsRoofing71 View Post
I think you will be very happy with any of the Topmodels in the Albatros line of gliders. Esprit can cut the nose off and mount a motor mount in the nose for you for $25.00. If I were to buy one I would spend the money and let them put the motor mount in for me. Yes it is a night and day when you go to something like an Albatros you will be very happy.
A jig to cut the nose is included at the 2,4version, so it would be easy to cut it. The firewall then, only needs some epoxy and will stick forever. I think you should try it, on the other hand 25$ isn't that big of a deal for a prof work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
I don't care what anyone sais; transparent blue and white are very visible. Even in a partly cloudy sky.

Pretty bird, you had any luck thermaling it yet? That is after all what it was designd for
+1 on that.

As soon as you trim it right, it will thermal great. My record is 1:18:00 thermalling. You have to built it light though. My 2,4m is 1,64kg it could be done a tad lighter than that.

I ll be installing a vario soon, to see its true potentials. As I am sure I am missing some thermals

Friday